Home

Enough Conspiracy Theories, Let's Talk Legit Expectations

This is a discussion on Enough Conspiracy Theories, Let's Talk Legit Expectations within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-19-2022, 10:33 AM   #25
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Enough Conspiracy Theories, Let's Talk Legit Expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
I think what 2k decides to do will be based on what their ROI predictions are based on.

If it's all about profit, the logical first step would be to release an arcade-style NFL game.

This arcade-style game could be used as the fundamental platform for a future sim-style game. If the arcade game does well while EA's contract with the NFL comes to a close, the NFL will undoubtedly do away with exclusivity. To maintain exclusivity EA will probably have to offer the NFL an irresistible amount of cash. Which I doubt EA will do the next go-round.

The second point is, The NFL may finally see the benefit of having 2 sim games on the market. This will happen because of changing company culture and new/younger executives in key positions. It's bound to happen.

I think this is a real possibility. EA did away with the FIFA license and that game is way more popular worldwide than Madden. I think EA is starting to feel like it’s better to pay less in licensing fees and deal with the loss of market share from a competitor. I don’t know if the NFL still sees the benefit of 2 games but if EA is over the cost of exclusivity the NFL doesn’t have a choice.

That would be the best possible situation for gamers. 2ks game has to be non-sim now, but they would want to keep the game pretty realistic in art style and movement if they want this to be the foundation to build a simulation game on in a couple years. My City NFL version seems to fit this bill perfectly and 2k has built that for the NBA already.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2022, 11:37 AM   #26
Rookie

Vazione's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbayless
I re-read this Article and it said NCAA College Football is a simulation but it also says it wont have real players names and Likeness

https://www.theverge.com/ 2021/2/2/22262471/ea-sports-college-football-video-game-ncaa-players

So if College Football with real uniforms, stadiums, except real players is considered simulation

Yes I know 2k got the NFL License for Arcade purposes

But it makes you wonder if only the NFL Branding is considered simulation and none Branding with NFLPA (real NFL players) is considered Arcade 🤔

Like you can't simulate the NFL with the NFLPA/NFL License together but if 2k decided to make their own type of NFLPA game using their license as long as it dont simulation the NFL

Madden 64 couldn't even stimulate the teams cities
Like New England would be called Foxboro instead

Maybe im reaching but this is a site of discussion 🤷
“Maybe I’m reaching”

🤣🤣🤣🤣
Old 05-19-2022, 04:53 PM   #27
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I think this is a real possibility. EA did away with the FIFA license and that game is way more popular worldwide than Madden. I think EA is starting to feel like it’s better to pay less in licensing fees and deal with the loss of market share from a competitor. I don’t know if the NFL still sees the benefit of 2 games but if EA is over the cost of exclusivity the NFL doesn’t have a choice.

That would be the best possible situation for gamers. 2ks game has to be non-sim now, but they would want to keep the game pretty realistic in art style and movement if they want this to be the foundation to build a simulation game on in a couple years. My City NFL version seems to fit this bill perfectly and 2k has built that for the NBA already.

I think there are a couple important points of distinction here which makes the FIFA situation unique.

First, the FIFA organization is rather famously corrupt. It is likely that organization has an overinflated value of itself and was asking for way too much money to continue the relationship. Heck, after EA announced they were ending the license, FIFA issued a rather adversarial counter statement saying they would continue to produce “THE BEST” soccer games under their label.

Second, EA Sports already has exclusive licenses for many of the major soccer leagues worldwide. Use of those league licenses and player likenesses doesn’t require FIFA’s sign-off. The value EA was receiving from the FIFA brand was actually pretty minimal? I don’t think a similar argument can be made about the NFL brand contributing little value to the Madden series. That shield matters, there is no other major football league available to license. The NFL is synonymous with the sport of football itself in a way that FIFA is not with soccer.

To that end, I doubt EA would be willing to put themselves in a position of losing Madden NFL by allowing a different company to sign an exclusive license and sweep the NFL away from them, be it Take 2, Microsoft, Meta, Amazon, Epic, or any other company loosely involved in video games with lots of money to burn. We all know that the NFL loves exclusive agreements, and it is the most popular televised property in America, so I have to imagine there are plenty of companies that would readily cough up the dough to make an exclusively licensed NFL product unopposed if EA chose to not do so.
Old 05-19-2022, 06:36 PM   #28
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I think there are a couple important points of distinction here which makes the FIFA situation unique.

First, the FIFA organization is rather famously corrupt. It is likely that organization has an overinflated value of itself and was asking for way too much money to continue the relationship. Heck, after EA announced they were ending the license, FIFA issued a rather adversarial counter statement saying they would continue to produce “THE BEST” soccer games under their label.

Second, EA Sports already has exclusive licenses for many of the major soccer leagues worldwide. Use of those league licenses and player likenesses doesn’t require FIFA’s sign-off. The value EA was receiving from the FIFA brand was actually pretty minimal? I don’t think a similar argument can be made about the NFL brand contributing little value to the Madden series. That shield matters, there is no other major football league available to license. The NFL is synonymous with the sport of football itself in a way that FIFA is not with soccer.

To that end, I doubt EA would be willing to put themselves in a position of losing Madden NFL by allowing a different company to sign an exclusive license and sweep the NFL away from them, be it Take 2, Microsoft, Meta, Amazon, Epic, or any other company loosely involved in video games with lots of money to burn. We all know that the NFL loves exclusive agreements, and it is the most popular televised property in America, so I have to imagine there are plenty of companies that would readily cough up the dough to make an exclusively licensed NFL product unopposed if EA chose to not do so.

EA used to have exclusive rights to the NFLPA and exclusive rights to all NFL console games. These new 2k deals give them unlimited access to the NFLPA and non-sim use of the NFL. A case can be made the EA already has put themselves in a position to lose exclusive rights to Madden. Possibly a decision they chose themselves for whatever reason. FIFA situation just proves it’s something they are willing to do under certain circumstances.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »