Home

My contribution to sliders

This is a discussion on My contribution to sliders within the NFL Head Coach Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach > NFL Head Coach Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-25-2011, 06:45 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 26
Re: My contribution to sliders

What effect do the run block special skills have? I'm using your current sliders, and I'm still having trouble running the ball. I've got defensive awareness at 40, and linebackers are still tackling McFadden behind the line of scrimmage on a regular basis. I don't have any of the run block special skills except the first 2 with my OLC. I'm considering moving defensive awareness to 35 or even 30.

I ended moving Run Block to 80 and Defensive Awareness to 32. That seemed good enough to give me 2-3 yd inside runs, with the chance for linebackers to give me a TFL once in a while. I may end up moving it back once I get some of the Run Block special skills, but for now I need to do it to have a half-decent running game.

Last edited by Mike3207; 01-26-2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:56 AM   #34
Pro

OVR: 7

What plays are you running, and what defense(s) are you playing? Different running plays work better against different defenses, and McFadden may be suffering from Fast Halfback Syndrome.

Is this playing, supersim, or sim?
Old 01-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #35
MVP

OVR: 26

I'm using Garrett Pass Attack. I'm playing all the games after the 1st season. I added Run Block discipline with my HC hoping that will help things a bit. Not sure about Fast HB Syndrome, but the opposing linebackers were all over my HB with defensive awareness at 40. Not sure if it's the slider, or my lack of run blocking special skills. I've moved DA from 33 to 35 for now, I'll try that the rest of the season and compare results.

Last edited by Mike3207; 01-27-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2011, 08:59 PM   #36
Pro

Okay, I've taken a look at the Garrett playbook's run plays and here's what I see.

It's a predominantly power-based (vs. zone-based) run scheme, with a lot of pulling linebacker on counters and tosses. This sort of scheme will work better against defenses that don't blitz their linebackers on a regular basis, and against either non-Tampa-2 zone or conventional man-coverage defenses.

Against Tampa-2s, their linebackers are going to be all over these inside runs more often than not, because the T2 scheme is designed to have one linebacker free against power schemes.

Against chronic zone-blitz teams like the Seahawks, they're going to be in your backfield more often than not, dragging your halfback down. Likewise the psycho-blitz Giants.

With this playbook, your better bets against linebacker penetration are inside runs 24 Tight Zone and 24 Slash, outside run 28 Stretch (both), pitch 28 Toss Sweep, and for counters maybe the 27 Counter, 26 Counter Lead and 25 Counter.

The 24 Tight Zone and 24 Slash, both zone-blocking plays, are the best bets for this playbook for consistent yards up the gut, IMO. The catch might be, do you have the linemen to run zone-blocking plays (run-blocking footwork)?
Old 05-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebongreen
After considering many options listed here (and props to claystone and adembroski for their research and contributions) I rolled my own, with which I'm pretty happy. My general rule of thumb was to perturb the defaults as little as possible to better balance gameplay - YMMV.

In my current 'chise I'm on an 11-0 roll in 2008, but had two very narrow escapes (including one overtime victory) from relatively talent-free Buc and Seahawk squads in this first year. At the same time, a good Cowboys squad lost 38-3 and the very talented (though slightly injured) Colts got blown out of Lambeau 55-0.

Pluses:
  • I have a running game now. I can't run at will (yet), but Ray Rice will finish the year as a thousand-yard-plus rusher, barring injury.
  • The competition is able to run against me (1500+ yards so far this season). Again, not at will, and not necessarily really well, but I have to actually worry about Rashard Mendenhall (Bears) and Adrian Peterson (Vikings) when I play those teams. Run blitzing is essential and doesn't always work.
  • Chump QBs like Tarvaris Jackson, God bless him, are no longer completing passes at will against Al Harris and Nnamdi Asomugha in man coverage.
  • Penalty frequency seems relatively realistic. GB is leading the league in fewest penalties assessed, though not yardage. Looking at the team stats generally so far this year, I'm not leading the way in all categories (which was common on the default sliders).

Minuses:
  • There's no fixing the defensive AI's vulnerability to the play-action pass.
  • Packers QB Andre Woodson went over 4000 yards passing in less than twelve games(!), and is averaging nearly 400 yards per game. The Packers coaching staff has a lot of "help-the-QB" special skills between Mike McCarthy and Tom Clements, so those numbers aren't as unreal as they seem. He's also averaging only 66% completion - in line with other top passers - and is near the league lead in attempts. He just happens to be completing a lot of long pass plays (161/187 deep attempts, DAvg 20.4), helped in great measure by YAC-masters Driver (310/4.5) and Jennings (314/5.3). For comparison, both Mannings, McNabb and Romo were over 3000 yards passing in the same time period.
  • Kenny Phillips, starting at SS, has over ten picks already this year. Of course, he does have WR-class hands, and I set him up well.

QBA- 40
PBK- 40
WRC- 40
RBA- 80
RBK- 60

AWR- 40
KND- 40
INT- 50
BRB- 40
TAK- 40

FGP- 45
FGA- 40
PTP- 50
PTA- 50
KOP- 40

Quarter Length- 15 Minutes
Play Clock- On
CPU Play Downloading- Your Preference
Offside- 50
False Start- 50
Holding- 50
Facemask- 40
Offensive PI- 53
Defensive PI- 53
KR/PR Interference- 75
Clipping- 50
Intentional Grounding- 75
Roughing Passer- 75
Roughing Kicker- 75
I played a game with your original settings. (I know you have made adjustments, but I'm just starting out with custom sliders and I wanted to keep it simple.) The only slight change I made was 38 pass blocking and 42 break tackle, because I was already concerned that your sliders weren't going to help pass rushing.

That was indeed the first issue I had. It still doesn't look like you can get pressure without a funky blitz no matter how good your defensive line is.

The next thing is that although the settings do help the running game a lot, they seem to help ball carriers in general a little too much. There was a kick return for a touchdown and several other big plays where the defenders could not bring down the ball carrier.

Lastly, fumbles, as was mentioned before. I can't see from the setting any logical reason why they increase fumbles, but they do. I had a total of something like 6 fumbles in the game.

Last edited by JimK; 05-11-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #38
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Are the sliders values for both human and cpu?

I am about to fire up this game again and want to try this slider set.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 05-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #39
Pro

Yep, same for both.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:54 AM   #40
Rookie

Any updates on the sliders ebon?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach > NFL Head Coach Sliders »