Home

I have a question about this game?

This is a discussion on I have a question about this game? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-26-2006, 04:37 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: I have a question about this game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCrouch
Again you ask? I never saw you ask me the first time...

I only know what I've read (which is everything I can find). I haven't seen a thing on the mouse functionality, but going by past history, Madden had that quasi-FPS mode with mouse and keyboard, and anytime you hit escape to navigate menus it was all mouse-driven. If I had to make a guess as to whether or not it would, I'd say it will definitely support a mouse and keyboard combination, but I have no evidence or links to back that up; only experience with past Madden-engine EA games on PC.
alright excellent, i asked because i ain't played madden in a few years on the PC..

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2006, 08:35 PM   #26
Pro

johnriii's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
There are definitely presets and playbooks for all of the teams. I was just explaining the detail that you'd be able to go into, above and beyond "do I have to do anything other than call the plays in a game", like it's Madden in Coach Mode.
Thanks for clearing that up...I'm going to have ENOUGH to do anyways...this game seems as if could be very, very time consuming....but I STILL can't wait till it comes out....
Old 05-26-2006, 09:27 PM   #27
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by aukevin
I don't really want to play a really long game and this kinda sounds like it might require a lot of time for one game. I wonder if there is a way to have the AI part of the game go in a faster speed. So after you pick your strategy, you see the next play run in like 2x speed.
It would be nice to speed up some of the actions like watching the fellas break-huddle and call audibles and the other presnap activities that the user we only be watching.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:57 PM   #28
MVP

myownsun's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
I think various posters hit the nail on the head; this is not for the casual football gamer. If you're worried about having to draft players and make GM calls, this probably isn't the game for you.

This game in a nutshell:

Play GM/Coach. Design your own offense. Draw up your own plays and formations, so you draft that hotshot rookie and incorporate him into your offense. Make custom personnel sets so you can get your stars the touches.

Build your gameplan for the week. That means physically running practice several times between games. You will run a play over and over. After each rep, you have the option to talk strategy with individual positions. Tell the tailback to pick up the blitzer better, tell the QB to stay in the pocket and look to the primary receiver, etc. You can then decide whether or not you want that strategy to be incorporated every time you call the play, or just the upcoming game, or the first series, etc. You will spend more time in practice and gameplan than you will on most games, honestly. Football games in the NFL are won from Monday-Saturday in most cases. Planning and preparation will get you everywhere.

The gamers that just want to line up and call the plays might have a tough time, since in Madden you can get away with a playbook that doesn't fit your personnel by going "outside the box" a bit. In HC, you won't have that luxury. Your tailback will wait for his blockers and hit the designed hole. If you're playing Madden, you know damn well that if the hole closes up, you have that juke or spin outside in your back pocket to bust free. That's joystick jockey football, and it's great fun. This is not that style of play. This is calling a play and practicing it to death until you get the execution you want.

Your offseasons are spent scouting the talent pool and getting the guys that fit the offense and defensive schemes that you choose to run. Not just blasting through and not knowing who you have available to you come game day.

I know that this is probably the most I've ever looked forward to a football game, but I also know that it's not going to be for everybody. The only thing that could screw it up is the AI...but I'm cautiously optimistic since Madden has to code a lot of AI in self-defense, almost. They have to do things to beat potential cheesers or guys with astronomical gamepad speed. In this game, they can just focus on the AI playing itself and behaving predictably, which leads me to hope it will be one of the most realistic-playing simulations we've seen on the field. Then again, EA hasn't ever had great history with on-point simulations, so who knows.

But here's hoping
Great post!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »