Home

Old 06-06-2006, 05:55 PM   #9
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Playbooks

Yeah, definitely. The only problem I'd have would be with the personnel you'd have to keep onboard to do it. You'd have to have a certain type of linebacker to run the 3-3-5 effectively (fast, good ball skills, shed blocks, etc) and a certain type for the 3-5-3 (all 5 can pass rush and stop the run, play solid zone in open space defense, etc). Very few backers would have the total package necessary to do all roles in both styles. It's almost like you'd have to trot two completely different defensive units onto the field, based on offensive style (like you mentioned). I just can't imagine having the personnel to pull that off; you'd have to lock into one style more than the other since they're so radically different in how you'd attack an offense, and the strengths needed at each tier of defenders. And, if you lock into one or the other, specific offenses would eat you alive.

Not sure how you'd actually get it to work, but I'm QUITE sure it would be easier to run in a game than real life, so you may pull it off. Let me know, I'm curious.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:04 PM   #10
Rookie

mtpoet's Arena

OVR: 1
Lightbulb Re: Playbooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCrouch
Yeah, definitely. The only problem I'd have would be with the personnel you'd have to keep onboard to do it. You'd have to have a certain type of linebacker to run the 3-3-5 effectively (fast, good ball skills, shed blocks, etc) and a certain type for the 3-5-3 (all 5 can pass rush and stop the run, play solid zone in open space defense, etc). Very few backers would have the total package necessary to do all roles in both styles. It's almost like you'd have to trot two completely different defensive units onto the field, based on offensive style (like you mentioned). I just can't imagine having the personnel to pull that off; you'd have to lock into one style more than the other since they're so radically different in how you'd attack an offense, and the strengths needed at each tier of defenders. And, if you lock into one or the other, specific offenses would eat you alive.

Not sure, but I'm sure it would be easier to run in a game than real life, so you may pull it off. Let me know, I'm curious.

That's my problem is that my LB's would have to be Brian Urlacher, Ray Lewis, Joey Porter, Troy Palamalu, and John Lynch (or any other hard hitting safety). My LB's would be eating up like 20% of my salary cap. I would also have to have three monsters at DL (basically I'd need The Freak, Mario Williams, and Casey Hampton) In essence, I could pull it off with one personnel set (including Champ Bailey, DeAngelo Hall, and Chris Hope). So, technically, I'll be able to use one personnel set, but you know where my money is going to be when I sign free agents.

Of course, one thing you said is true. Specific Offenses would give me problems. That is the same for offenses though. Pittsburgh shut down Peyton and his high flying circus because they were not equipped to deal with that style of play. It is going to depend more I feel on how I use the personnel I have (play calling, etc) and not so much on who it is doing it. I will be glad to give you an update once I get into the game. On that, is anyone going to be back on here after the game comes out or are you all going to abandon this website?
Old 06-06-2006, 06:10 PM   #11
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpoet
That's my problem is that my LB's would have to be Brian Urlacher, Ray Lewis, Joey Porter, Troy Palamalu, and John Lynch (or any other hard hitting safety). My LB's would be eating up like 20% of my salary cap. I would also have to have three monsters at DL (basically I'd need The Freak, Mario Williams, and Casey Hampton) In essence, I could pull it off with one personnel set (including Champ Bailey, DeAngelo Hall, and Chris Hope). So, technically, I'll be able to use one personnel set, but you know where my money is going to be when I sign free agents.

Of course, one thing you said is true. Specific Offenses would give me problems. That is the same for offenses though. Pittsburgh shut down Peyton and his high flying circus because they were not equipped to deal with that style of play. It is going to depend more I feel on how I use the personnel I have (play calling, etc) and not so much on who it is doing it. I will be glad to give you an update once I get into the game. On that, is anyone going to be back on here after the game comes out or are you all going to abandon this website?
Oh, most of us were here long before this game came around. I've been here since the dawn of time.

If you can put together an All-Pro team on defense, then I'd actually be very disappointed. I'd also be disappointed if you gave up more than 10 points a game with that defensive personnel set .

I have no idea what the contract numbers are for the aforementioned players, but I bet it would be more like 75% or 80% of the cap once you add them all up. You'd win a lot of 3-0 and 7-3 games, for sure.

We actually have a dynasty forum where people describe their dynasties, franchises, and whatnot too. But once the game comes out, I'm sure most of this forum's use will be for that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-06-2006, 06:40 PM   #12
Rookie

mtpoet's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCrouch
Oh, most of us were here long before this game came around. I've been here since the dawn of time.

If you can put together an All-Pro team on defense, then I'd actually be very disappointed. I'd also be disappointed if you gave up more than 10 points a game with that defensive personnel set .

I have no idea what the contract numbers are for the aforementioned players, but I bet it would be more like 75% or 80% of the cap once you add them all up. You'd win a lot of 3-0 and 7-3 games, for sure.

We actually have a dynasty forum where people describe their dynasties, franchises, and whatnot too. But once the game comes out, I'm sure most of this forum's use will be for that.
Touche. I know I'm not going to get all those people. I'd actually be really upset because how in the world I'd manage to get that many talented players not on the free agent market (were any of those mentioned free agents this year except Chris Hope?) then the game has flaws. As for the other comment, if I gave up over 10 points in any single game with those personnel, not an average, I should put the game away. Because you should be pitching shutouts nearly all the time. The only excuse would be a couple broken plays because Champ Bailey fell down (which we've all seen him do a couple times)

As you can tell by my # of posts, I am rather new to this whole thing. I will be a definite contributor to any dynasty style forums that come along for this game. Get some ideas from people on formations, matchups, recruiting tips, etc. Very cool.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:48 PM   #13
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

Welcome to the forums, then! I don't typically look at post counts much, or I'd have said to start with...sorry.

And yeah, it's great to get other perspectives. The one (huge) drawback is that you learn about bugs you never would have otherwise known about in the days of pre-internet gaming. Most of the iconic games of days gone by were great because we didn't have a place to b*tch about them to anybody who'll listen, but it happens.

Looking forward to seeing how that all works out for you, though. You've got a massive undertaking to try to deal with, for sure. I'm a pansy, I go for the safe route. Power running, conservative D, and hope to win a war of attrition.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »