Home

Old 05-26-2006, 05:53 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 3
Playbooks

how will you make your your playbook,and how will you make it if you make a custom defense/offense. I will make a protection scheme for everyone of my custome offense whether that be a TE blocking or RB/FB my Qb will be protected. My offense will have a tight end who will catch and sometimes block and one who will block most of the time and and be able to make the sure catch. My O-line will probly just be the same with better people. My Rb will be featured in my passes since my Wide outs are not very good he will also get the ball alot. On defense I will make plays so that my LB's can zone and Linemen can blitz. How about you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2006, 06:22 PM   #2
Pro

southside_hitmen's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Playbooks

I'm interested to see how "open" the play and formation editor is. If it allows a lot of things then I will be using a lot of bunch, stack, and other compressed formations. I will also use formation shifts and motion. I will run a few basic routes (USC only uses 10 route combos so why do I need more). These will be complemented by a power run game. So i guess the best way to title my offense would be "Multiple".

My defense will depend on my personell, mainly if I have 3 or 4 good LB's. If 3 good ones I will go 4-3 and have my d-line eat up blockers and let the LB's run to the ball. In passing situation I'll try and let my d-line RUSH (D-lineman do not "blitz", LB's and DB's do) and play zone behind with a little Zone Blitz thrown in. If I have 4LB's, then I'm goin 3-4 and blitzing a lot and my OLB will be the ones to put pressure on the QB.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:03 PM   #3
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Well I'm going to try to emulate the Air Coryell offense. If that's not possible then i'll just use a basic spread offense.

I don't know what i'll do on defense. It probably depends on the personnel.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 06-06-2006, 05:14 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2
Talking Re: Playbooks

I'M GOING TO USE THE RUN AND SHOOT SPREAD TYPE OFFENSE TO PUT PRESSURE ON DEFENSE GOING TO SET IT UP TO ABE BE TO HANDLE MAN TO MAN OR ZONE DEFENSE OR BLITZING D ON DEFENSE I'M GOING TO IMPLOY A 3-4 46 COMBO STYLE D
Old 06-06-2006, 05:32 PM   #5
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach f
I'M GOING TO USE THE RUN AND SHOOT SPREAD TYPE OFFENSE TO PUT PRESSURE ON DEFENSE GOING TO SET IT UP TO ABE BE TO HANDLE MAN TO MAN OR ZONE DEFENSE OR BLITZING D ON DEFENSE I'M GOING TO IMPLOY A 3-4 46 COMBO STYLE D

Personally, the first thing I'll stockpile is offensive and defensive linemen. At that point, I'll work on finding a pair of backs, or at least a FB that can tote the rock dependably. Last thing I'll find are two good, well-rounded tight ends and a fast receiver. After that:

Design most of my plays from a 2-back, 2-TE set where the first few steps all look the same. Dive play left, blast left, then counter right where it appears the same as the dive and blast. Good Play Action over the middle to the TE's and dumps to the flat, with the PA deep chuck to the speed receiver to keep the defense honest. In a perfect world, I'll end up with a 2:1 run to pass ratio. Power running and PA passing.

Defensively, it completely depends upon the personnel. Since my main goal is to become a power running team, most of my 1st season will be spent overhauling the offense. I won't be able to do both. But my vision for a defense would be a big, stout front 4 in a 4-3 alignment. Big corners able to tackle well, and a fast safety (FS or SS doesn't matter to me). I won't be a man to man team...instead choosing to play a lot of zones and hoping my front 4 can bring adequate pressure.

With an offense like I want to run, I won't be able to gamble a lot defensively and get down by 2 or 3 touchdowns, or it's almost a guaranteed loss.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-06-2006, 05:32 PM   #6
Rookie

mtpoet's Arena

OVR: 1
Icon5 Re: Playbooks

Offense is going to be power running with a basic passing system (basically the Pittsburgh Steelers offense). For defense, I want to design my entire system. I have a system I've been working with that is basically a 3-3-5 or 3-5-3 depending on the offensive package on the field. It utilizes 2 CB's, a FS, 2 SS/OLB, 2 OLB's, 1 MLB, and the 3 DL.

The DE's will be lined up on the OT's. CB and S depth is going to be dependant on coverage schemes etc. My SS/OLB's will be a Troy Palamalu type player who can help against the Run and Pass. Should I come against a team that runs 4/5 reciever sets, the SS/OLB's will shift out into a pass coverage and it will become a 3-3-5 style D. This is something I've been playing with for a while. Let me know what you think.

Last edited by mtpoet; 06-06-2006 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:39 PM   #7
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpoet
Offense is going to be power running with a basic passing system (basically the Pittsburgh Steelers offense). For defense, I want to design my entire system. I have a system I've been working with that is basically a 3-3-5 or 3-5-3 depending on the offensive package on the field. It utilizes 2 CB's, a FS, 2 SS/OLB, 2 OLB's, 1 MLB, and the 3 DL. This is a rudimentary idea of what it will look like.

SS

CB SS/OLB OLB MLB OLB SS/OLB CB

DE DT DE

The DE's will be lined up on the OT's. CB and S depth is going to be dependant on coverage schemes etc. My SS/OLB's will be a Troy Palamalu type player who can help against the Run and Pass. Should I come against a team that runs 4/5 reciever sets, the SS/OLB's will shift out into a pass coverage and it will become a 3-3-5 style D. This is something I've been playing with for a while. Let me know what you think.
I think it's all good in theory, except you don't just find "Polamalu" players sitting around. The DE's over the tackles sounds good, until you face a talented bunch of hogs in the center of the line, in which case you're left with a nose guard squaring off against 1000 pounds of beef (or 1200+ if you include a blocking back). A decent OL would just work the center of that line and grind away in the 4 yards and a cloud of dust mentality. Guys are just too big to realistically run a 3-3-5 much. They'd get run over.

Now, a 3-5-3 would be interesting, unless they have a fast set of perimeter receivers, in which case you'd get burned by the 15 yard timing pass or intermediate flag/post routes. No safety can cover both sides at once, and asking LB's to cover the underneath routes would be a massacre unless you have a VERY talented corps of backers.

I cracked up when I read this thread the first time (when it was first posted), and it still kind of cracks me up. You'd need to know your entire team personnel first and foremost, or an idea of what you want to try to bring in. I could say "I want to run a spread offense" in Chicago, which would be hilarious. It's still kind of funny, since personnel dictates strengths (and weaknesses), but it's cool to hear the different ideas and philosophies...so I guess I finally got "the point" of the whole thing
Old 06-06-2006, 05:47 PM   #8
Rookie

mtpoet's Arena

OVR: 1
Lightbulb Re: Playbooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCrouch
I think it's all good in theory, except you don't just find "Polamalu" players sitting around. The DE's over the tackles sounds good, until you face a talented bunch of hogs in the center of the line, in which case you're left with a nose guard squaring off against 1000 pounds of beef (or 1200+ if you include a blocking back). A decent OL would just work the center of that line and grind away in the 4 yards and a cloud of dust mentality. Guys are just too big to realistically run a 3-3-5 much. They'd get run over.

Now, a 3-5-3 would be interesting, unless they have a fast set of perimeter receivers, in which case you'd get burned by the 15 yard timing pass or intermediate flag/post routes. No safety can cover both sides at once, and asking LB's to cover the underneath routes would be a massacre unless you have a VERY talented corps of backers.
Yeah, I hear what your saying with the 3-3-5. It will only work against teams that come out in a 4 WR 1RB or 5WR no RB because you can run against it. I agree that against a power run you'd get slaughtered. As far as the 3-5-3, I would be using quite a bit of Zone Coverage unless I have a couple sub 4.35 CBs and beast at Safety. Basically they would depend on what type of offense I'd be playing against. Against a team like Pittsburgh, a 3-5-3 I feel would be really effective. Against a Mike Martz Offense, a 3-3-5 could be very effective. It will all come down to who I am playing and if I have the personnel to run this type of Defense. I guess I should have said I'd LIKE to run this style defense if I can. But thanks for the reminder so I keep my LB's from looking like Pansies.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »