Home

5 minute quarters can't be changed

This is a discussion on 5 minute quarters can't be changed within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-21-2006, 12:14 AM   #17
Old School

MachoMyers's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: 5 minute quarters can't be changed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastak
No offense at all intended but isn't the point just playing the game and having fun?
Why worry about every other players stats?
You've been a member here long enough to know thats a huge deal for an OSer.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:38 AM   #18
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
No offense at all intended but isn't the point just playing the game and having fun?
In a pure sim where you can't control the players, stats are a huge part of the game.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:59 AM   #19
MVP

OVR: 13

Well, after using the horrid interface in the demo, and learning this, there is no way I am buying this game. I am skeptical of anyone who claims to get a realistic number of plays out of a 5 minute game.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:08 AM   #20
Banned

OVR: 11

I think everyone needs to calm down. I noticed something from IGN's gameplay video #1 (X's and O's) that you may want to check out (link below):

1) In this video, the user runs a series of three plays within the span of 38 gameclock seconds. These three plays are either runs or completed passes--none of the plays result in the gameclock being stopped.

2a) Let's assume for argument's sake you had an entire game at 5 minute quarters where none of the plays from the line of scrimmage resulted in clock stoppage. In (1) above, the user was running these plays at a rate of 1 play per 13 seconds (38 seconds/3 plays=12.6, or rounded, about 1 play per 13 seconds).

2b) A 5 minute quarter game is total 1200 seconds long. If the player above was able to rip off about 1 play per 13 seconds, and assuming the cpu takes about the same amount of time, that would mean (again, given our hypothetical example in 2a above), that there would be about 92 plays combined--and that's if the gameclock never stopped.

Now, add in timeouts, incomplete passes, turnovers, penalties, i.e., anything else that stops the clock and you have an opportunity to run even more plays. From this observation alone, I'm led to believe that once everyone is used to the interface and calls plays like nobody's business, we'll get very close, if not right at, the average NFL plays of 115-120 combined per game.

3) Another observation from the video: during the 3rd play towards the end of the clip, the gameclock gets to about 4:13. The user at this time calls up his adjustment menu and calls an offensive line adjustment. While the user does this, the gameplay clock pauses while he's doing this.

Conclusion--the gameplay clock freezes when we're making/calling adjustments, which helps conserve time as well.

http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/776/776737/vids_1.html

Anyway, watch the video and judge for yourself. Based on my observations and the observations of those who have just started playing for themselves, I don't think 5 minute quarters may be all that big a deal since plays are run so quickly, and adjustments appear to freeze the gameclock. And, IMHO, quarter length is not important if the correct number of plays are being run.

Last edited by Flamehead; 06-21-2006 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:23 AM   #21
Pro

rastak's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soldier
In a pure sim where you can't control the players, stats are a huge part of the game.
It's not a sim though, it's more of a football RPG fronm what I've seen...looks like fun.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2006, 09:28 AM   #22
Pro

rastak's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier12
You've been a member here long enough to know thats a huge deal for an OSer.

Yea, it seems to be true for most. Certainly not all. I'm surprised people that need things to be exactly 100% right ever buy any sports games....because they all fall short...some more than others.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:40 AM   #23
All Star

OVR: 20

Quote:
Because this is a management sim, which is all about decisions and statistics. There's no joystick jockeying in this game unlike "traditional" videogame football, so EA better get the numbers right.

Plus this game only appeals to sports management junkies or hardcore NFL fans and strategists. Those kinds of people really care about accurate numbers.

Take care,
PK
Old 06-21-2006, 10:18 AM   #24
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

OVR: 33

I had 110 plays last night using the 5 minute quarters...

The Niners put up over 200 rushing yards on me...

I had two defenders over 10 tackles, several more with 8...

I'm no longer worried about 5 minute quarters, other than my offensive yardage. It's been crap so far, other than rushing now and then.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »