Home

Here's a dose of realism for you...

This is a discussion on Here's a dose of realism for you... within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-22-2006, 09:25 PM   #1
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

OVR: 33
Here's a dose of realism for you...

I posted this in my Dynasty thread, but since most people won't see it, how's this for realism:

I took Vince Young with the 7th overall choice in Oakland in my career. I worked him in training camp, trying to change him into Joe Montana.

Work the center of the field. Release the ball quickly. Spread the ball around. Stay in the pocket. Focus on the short routes.

Young's response?

a 3.8 rating and 39 yards in a full game of action.

Naturally, my coaching staff is furious with me, as I established a 20-0 lead early on the running of Joseph Addai and Young's legs; not a pass was completed until he got a dumpoff in garbage time in the first half.

I got to thinking, wondering how realistic it might be. I know only what the talking heads said about the Longhorns offense, but I decided to drill it into his head during the week and pregame, seeing how it would work out:

Focus on your #1 receiver. Release the ball quickly. Scramble if you feel pressure. Put touch on the ball. I turned the Raiders' offense into a 1-read spread style offense. Send the receivers deep, tell him who his primary read is and then snap the ball.

After the 3.8, 39 yard debacle in the opening game? 16 of 30, 253 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 0 sacks, and a 92.8 rating.

He also carried it 6 times; 4 to move the chains in a desperate situation, and 2 for scores.

If it's an incredible dose of luck, color me impressed. I try to make cyber-Vince into something he's not, and it has me getting chewed out. I try and coach him like I know he was accustomed to at Texas, and he flourishes (his accuracy short is like 87, medium is 81, and long is 76, by the way).

I went so far as to call HB dives on 1st down a lot, then a flea flicker in the 3rd: 40 yard completion. I also called a flea flicker QB scramble from the 20 (called the flea flicker but told Vince to scramble on the next play) and it went for a score.

The more I call the plays on gameday, the more I'm amazed...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2006, 09:38 PM   #2
Rookie

GetBuff's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Here's a dose of realism for you...

That's so awesome. I am looking forward to the draft. I just made it into the April after 6 hours of gameplay.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:12 AM   #3
Old School

MachoMyers's Arena

OVR: 20

That is pretty cool.

I really have to sit down with this game this weekend.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:16 AM   #4
World Series Champions!!

Cubfan's Arena

OVR: 20

wow that is impressive. Im really considering picking the game up this weekend.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:04 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

That is amazing! I haven't played a game in my career yet. I'm in training camp now after taking Reggie McNeal. I think I screwed up somewhere because after my first pick, the first day of the draft was over. I didn't screw up on day 2 though. By the way TC, I'll definitely be checking out your coaching career...now that I know you have one. Your impressions were what drove me to get the game in the first place. Well, that and the fact that I'm a coach mode'er by nature.

Last edited by NoleFan; 06-23-2006 at 06:08 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »