Home

RFA related question..

This is a discussion on RFA related question.. within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-24-2006, 01:21 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 14
RFA related question..

I am in the process of starting a Cardinals career, and am at the re-signing stage of the off-season.

Reggie Wells is a 25 year old left guard (LG) that is a restricted free agent. He is young (25), and has the potential to be a decent player as he gets older. I'd like to keep him on the team, but am a little uncertain about qualifying offers..

I am only able to offer a 1 year deal worth 710k, 1.55 M, or 2.07 M, with no bonus.

He is a 64-83 OVR rated player, and while I am not sure he is worth 1.55 M a year, I fear 710k may not be enough to keep him.

If I offer 710k and someone bids higher, am I then able to match or offer a better deal?

It's tough to get perspective on finances initially, and there are a few guys I'd rather overpay than lose, but I don't want to overpay if I can just offer low and match/raise competing offers later.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2006, 01:39 PM   #2
MVP

Re: RFA related question..

After consulting the resources in game, my question is answered..

If other teams propose an "open offer" I can match, and keep the player as a result of the "right of first refusal." I guess a minimum bid is ideal then, especially if interested in offering a multi-year deal.

I'm learning a lot about the NFL in general just through playing Head Coach.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:24 PM   #3
Rookie

philliesphan026's Arena

OVR: 7

Plus, you get one of the team's draft picks if they DO get the free agent.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:21 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 9

...and the value of the draft pick depends on how much the qualifying offer was for.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:04 PM   #5
MVP

Well, on March 3rd I got an email saying Reggie had signed with another team.. I never saw any indication or option to match his deal..

He is no longer on my team, and I have a literal hole at LG now.

Odd, and a bit disappointing.

EDIT: On the player roster screen, he is still listed on my team, but I can't offer him a deal.. I'm thoroughly confused..

Last edited by Jimplication; 06-24-2006 at 07:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2006, 10:58 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimplication
Well, on March 3rd I got an email saying Reggie had signed with another team.. I never saw any indication or option to match his deal..

He is no longer on my team, and I have a literal hole at LG now.

Odd, and a bit disappointing.

EDIT: On the player roster screen, he is still listed on my team, but I can't offer him a deal.. I'm thoroughly confused..
He's signed a contract with another team but is still on your team because you'll have the opportunity to match it. You probably can't make the offer until a specified date. At least that's the way I think it works.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:59 AM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk76
He's signed a contract with another team but is still on your team because you'll have the opportunity to match it. You probably can't make the offer until a specified date. At least that's the way I think it works.
I suspect you're right, thanks.

One of the loading screens mentions "27 Days to matching RFA period" so I suspect I will have my chance to bid on him, as you said.

I was a bit concerned, as my LG position was terribly thin. I signed two centers to fill guard spots, but could certainly use another capable body there to protect a young offense.

Thanks for the reply. It's impressive how much I am learning about the game through playing Head Coach.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »