Home

Dealing with young QB's

This is a discussion on Dealing with young QB's within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-25-2006, 08:50 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Dealing with young QB's

I love the depth of this game, something about micro managing an NFL franchise is right in my sweet spot. Anyway, I'm controlling the Packers in career and went the rebuilding route. I traded Favre, Green, Walker and Flanagan for draft picks. My youth movement includes AJ Hawk, R. Bush, J. Cutler, C. Wrotten and N. Mangold. I know it's unrealstic but I figure if the CPU is going to resign all it's veterans (E.James, D.Cullpepper, etc) then a little draft "trickery" is needed to balance personnel moves. My key FA pickups were W. McGinnest and P.Price. One key trade pickup was Q.Jammer.

OK, there's the history, now the question, I'm 2 weeks into the preseason, my defense is dominant with the young players progressing nicely, my running game is solid with Bush progressing well but my passing game is absolutely terrible. Neither Cutler or Rodgers is stepping up. I've spent time in practice developing passing money plays but the execution in games is still poor. I've tried motivating them in the game and rarely get a + impact. I've tried adjusting strategy in the game (don't force it, get the rid of the ball quickly) to no avail. Anybody playing with young QB's please help!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2006, 09:09 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Dealing with young QB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by grisch44
I love the depth of this game, something about micro managing an NFL franchise is right in my sweet spot. Anyway, I'm controlling the Packers in career and went the rebuilding route. I traded Favre, Green, Walker and Flanagan for draft picks. My youth movement includes AJ Hawk, R. Bush, J. Cutler, C. Wrotten and N. Mangold. I know it's unrealstic but I figure if the CPU is going to resign all it's veterans (E.James, D.Cullpepper, etc) then a little draft "trickery" is needed to balance personnel moves. My key FA pickups were W. McGinnest and P.Price. One key trade pickup was Q.Jammer.

OK, there's the history, now the question, I'm 2 weeks into the preseason, my defense is dominant with the young players progressing nicely, my running game is solid with Bush progressing well but my passing game is absolutely terrible. Neither Cutler or Rodgers is stepping up. I've spent time in practice developing passing money plays but the execution in games is still poor. I've tried motivating them in the game and rarely get a + impact. I've tried adjusting strategy in the game (don't force it, get the rid of the ball quickly) to no avail. Anybody playing with young QB's please help!!!!

I have Young and keep things simple an easy for him. I give him 1-2 options on each play and tell him to protect the football at all cost and look for the short route 1st. I don't put him in bad situations. I pound the ball on the ground with Jones and Barber and usually allow Young to throw on 2nd or 3rd and short when the defense is expecting a run.

I had huge 46 TD pass to Jason Witten in my 1st preseason game lastnight off of a bootleg roll out on 2nd and 2. Young fired a beauty for me hitting Witten in stride. I keep his plays to about 4-6 a game I don't try to overload him with different plays. He was damn near flawless in his 1st outing threw 1 Int becuase he forced a pass into coverage the other came because TO let a ball bounce out of his hands in traffic and Seattle got it off the bounce.

I'd say just let them practice using 4-6 plays a week and take the plays into the game after you develope them into 75-100% money plays from your weekly practice. Give them instructions on what to with each play like throw short, step up in the pocket, run or protect the ball. It worked for me my first game.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:13 AM   #3
Pro

kenn5373's Arena

OVR: 8

Dealing with young QB's in this game can be frustrating. I've got Vince Young and he will usually throw into double teams when he has a wide open man. Then when he scrambles he runs right into the defensive lineman. But just when I say i'm going to trade him after this game to myself he does something great.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:27 AM   #4
Rookie

Playmakers, thanks. How do you give Young only 1-2 options on each play? I assume you're talking about his WR read progression? Did you give him 1 or 2 reads then run?
Old 06-25-2006, 10:19 AM   #5
Pro

Greenevol's Arena

OVR: 7

Im in the same boat with Detroit.

Ive got Chris Simms and Jay Cutler on the team.

Going into the game, both are maxed out on ratings. Ive got 4-5 money plays passing. The WR's are maxed out also.

Combined for the first two preseason games theyre something like 8-44, 0 TDs, 6 Ints, 5 fumbles, 114 yds passing, probably about 10 sacks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2006, 10:42 AM   #6
Banned

Soonerfan09's Arena

I've got Cutler as my starter in Miami, and so far, he's been great. Last game against the Texans he threw for 150+ 2 TDs, 0 ints, and ran for 100+ and one TD. He's actually a very good scrambler if you let him.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:11 AM   #7
Pro

Bruin26's Arena

OVR: 9

I'll be interested in this as well as I am the 49ers. I am just about at my draft. I can't believe how long it has taken me to get to this point and I am not sayig that it is a bad thing. I think I could have simmed through a bit more of the offseason stuff once I had filled my roster and did the trades I wanted to do. I tried to make trades that got rid of players that are no longer on the 49ers and then tried to do trades to bring guys to the 49ers that were brought in for the real team. I was successful getting rid of, only slightly successful getting guys to me of course. I did get Bryant at WR and ended up getting Lelie as well. I think I lost out on some trade and didn't do any huge signings. My biggest mistake was signign FA's before I had scouted them. I didn't realize the scount would tell me it was time to scout them instead of scouting fo the draft. Oh well, lesson learned for the following offseason.

I have a feeling Alex Smith won't develop in this game. So many people think of him as a bust already and I think the game may see it that way as well. My owner told me that I needed to bring in a QB rated at 75 or higher. Problem is I chose the 49ers because yes they are my favorite team, but also because they need to be built up and they are a good challenge. But I want to build up Alex or at least see if i will be able to.

Once question is, is what he shows as a max rating now the highest it will ever be, or will that range go up if he develops correctly? I think he shows a max of 75 right now. I will be doing my draft finally today as I didn't get much time with the game yesterday. I am still drafting 6th like in real life and I also got Denver's 31st pick (I think it is 31). I can see that Bush will 99% be there for me to take at 6 since he has fallen pretty low in a lot of guys games and I am leaning towards taking him there. I did get Green as a FA back as well, but he isn't rated too high in the game starting out either. Just a bit higher than Barlow really.

I am just hoping that Alex isn't a lost cause in the game, so if anyone knows the answer to that question please let me know.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:53 AM   #8
Rookie

If this week's practice and pre-season game is any indication, the key to getting the best results from your young QB is strategy, strategy, strategy. During practice and in the game, I had Cutler focus on using his arm strength, getting rid of the ball quickly, spreading it around and not forcing it. I practiced just a few passing plays to get them to money status. I ran to set up the pass and called conservative passing plays when I was forced into 3rd and long situations. Cutler had a solid game, 200 yds passing, 2TD's to 1INT and 91 passing rating. This is a HUGE improvement over the first two weeks.

It helps when your defense is dominating and you have a good running game. R.Bush racked up 150 yds and 2 TD's against the bengals D.

Although it's pretty easy so far to win games, I'm still really digging this. All of the above strategy items make sense for a young QB. Nice!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »