Home

Game doesnt have as much DEPTH as I initially thought...

This is a discussion on Game doesnt have as much DEPTH as I initially thought... within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-02-2006, 12:20 AM   #65
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Game doesnt have as much DEPTH as I initially thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudtiger
An idea for praise player would be there would be little actual increase in the player, but there also would be very little risk they would react negatively. As an opposite reaction to praise, gimme an option to verbally belittle the player for a mistake where the player boost up or down will be large but there will a huge risk that the guy will take it negatively.
Interestingly enough, this is exactly how the passive/aggressive model is explained in the in-game glossary....

Quote:
MOTIVATION

You can motivate players passively or aggresively. Passive motivation carries less risk of angering a player, but less reward when successful. Conversely, aggresive motivation can result in huge boosts or huge losses. These boosts will wear off in time, so if you make a player mad, leave him alone and he'll eventually be back to normal. Your motivation attribute combined with your knowledge of that player's position will modify the chance of them reacting positively to your efforts
I think this aspect of the game is a little deeper than some initially thought.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2006, 12:50 AM   #66
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenage
So if I practice plays will my OC pick those plays more often from the playbook or do I have to pick the plays manually myself thus upsetting my co-ordinator?
no, actually after a season and a half, I have found the coordinators to be morons. Especially the DC. He has called the same (unpracticed) play 8 straight times in a row for me. The OC is not much better when he calls to kneel the ball when you are in FG range at the end of the half.

In my opinion, the OC and DC have NO CLUE which plays you practice or not, and they randomly call a play based on the down and distance.

Also, for those of you wondering. Not listening to the OC and DC's play calls HAS ABSOLUTLEY NO EFFECT ON THEIR TRUST LEVEL WITH YOU....thank god.

I have 100% trust from both of my coordinators, and I barely ever agree with their play calls and override them at least 75 - 80% of the time.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:10 AM   #67
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Personally, I streamline the gameplan at the beginning of the week (during the gameplan meeting)...focusing on plays that I have been building on. If I do introduce a couple of new plays into the gameplan then I'm sure to go over them exhuastively throughout the week. I've found this to make playcalling from the OC and DC more sensible as they've no choice but to call plays that have been practiced and/or have reached "Money Play" status. This strategy has also enhanced productivity in the practice week by allowing the "Goals for Victory" to be accomplished earlier in the week thus allowing surplus reps to be used towards developing rookies/young backups.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:14 AM   #68
All Star

RGmoney's Arena

OVR: 19

Just lost N. Turner in my 49'ers dynasty in week 10 of the season. I probably went with his play call about 40-50% of the time up until them. The game before he quit, I had just lost V. Young for the season and had to juggle practice around to get A. Smith ready. We lost a shootout with Seattle 42-41 in which I maybe went with his play call 20% of the time. Smith was horrible. When we got back to the office, he quit. We were winning games, but Young was looking bad in most of them.

Just hired a new OC and we just got done with the Rams. We won 26-13. Alex Smith had a monster of a game: 20-31, 320yds, TD, 0 INT. QB rating of 109.6 The OC had a high rating for OL, and it payed off as the pocket pretty much held for Alex. Smith had a very good practice week. I also set conditions for him on certain plays. I let my new OC call the whole game except for 7-8 plays.

Last edited by RGmoney; 07-02-2006 at 01:23 AM.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:18 AM   #69
All Star

RGmoney's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi
Personally, I streamline the gameplan at the beginning of the week (during the gameplan meeting)...focusing on plays that I have been building on. If I do introduce a couple of new plays into the gameplan then I'm sure to go over them exhuastively throughout the week. I've found this to make playcalling from the OC and DC more sensible as they've no choice but to call plays that have been practiced and/or have reached "Money Play" status. This strategy has also enhanced productivity in the practice week by allowing the "Goals for Victory" to be accomplished earlier in the week thus allowing surplus reps to be used towards developing rookies/young backups.
Have noticed this as well. As the season goes on, the plays that you constantly work on, retain a better % week-to-week. Thus making it easier to get them to MONEY status if need be. I'm really starting to pick up and like a lot of the little things that are going on in this game.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:21 PM   #70
Banned

OVR: 2

Before I spent anymore time on this game, I wanted to see if the interception issue would get better. I simulated my season just to look at the stats. The average QB TD/INT ratio was approx. 2:1 last season in the NFL (Matt had a 3:1 ratio). In this game, not only did I get fired after having a 10-6 record (won my division) and making it to the playoffs my first year; the average QB TD/INT ratio was simply horrible. McNown for the Cardinals threw 35 int's and only 5 TD's (WOW). Although Warner got hurt, you would think that the Games AI would have signed another QB or something. Vick had 12 TD's and 19 picks and 200 yards rushing; and played all his games. 204 yards rushing, yeah right.

Most starting QB's threw 20+ picks. Manning had a great year with 35 TD's and 8 Picks. I was using the Bengals and Palmer finished with 25 TD's and 26 picks. The average ratio was approx. dead even. After seeing this, I was glad that I did not invest more time in this game. Great potential...wait a minute; I say that every year about Madden. Come on EA, just give me one great game out of the three that you have.

Maybe if we had sliders for the PS2, some problems could be solved. I hope NCAA 07 is great.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »