Home

NFL Head Coach or Madden Coach Mode

This is a discussion on NFL Head Coach or Madden Coach Mode within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-10-2006, 04:09 PM   #1
lav
Rookie

OVR: 4
NFL Head Coach or Madden Coach Mode

I've been enjoying this game. I'm not familiar with the Coach Mode in Madden. I've always been a button-masher.

For those of you who are experienced with Madden's Coach Mode, how do they compare?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2006, 04:53 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: NFL Head Coach or Madden Coach Mode

This is an excellent question. For me the difference boils down to Madden's coach mode containing the essence of what I enjoyed in Head Coach. During the season you are consumed with player management but more importantly (my opinion) your weekly tasks comes down to coaching the game on the field. This is the aspect of HC I enjoyed the most but getting to the field in HC could prove to be very frustrating. With finicky QBs and coaches who quit on Saturday leaving me with no choice but to infuriate my owner I got tired of trying to prep my team week in and week out. Who knows maybe this is almost too real! Probably the biggest difference is in individual player interaction. In Madden mind you, you have a lot of control over hot routes, audibles, etc. but you have no real control over personnel motivation or strategy. The offseason is the same story. I enjoy the simpler approach in Madden of signing players, drafting, and setting my team up for the new season. I enjoyed this routine at first with HC but found that after a few seasons the repeated pattern grew tiresome and I wound up simming through long time periods of inactivity.

My first few seasons in HC were enjoyable but some of the limitations started to wear thin. I did not like the inability to trade future draft picks and i was not fond of my owner giving me goals that were not obtainable (e.g. draft a 75 overall QB yet the highest rated QB was a 70). This really didn't have an affect on my team's performance but it bothered me that one aspect of control of my team was removed from me. There are other issues that are well documented throughout this forum, that for me, detracted slighlty from my overall experience with the game.

Overall, I enjoy Madden's Coach Mode for its elegant take on coaching NFL football. Is it perfect? By no means. But it is tremendously fun. Oh and as a side note you will have to set up sliders for Madden CM that are to your liking. Now sliders...that's a whole nother story!

I am sure there will be lots of thoughts on this topic. It really comes down to what floats your boat.

Ham
Old 07-10-2006, 05:29 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

I normally don't like to be involved in the financial matters for my team so I was a bit apprehensive about that. Playing HC has given me a better understanding. I know that I don't need to re-sign every guy who's contract is up...which is what I always ended up doing in Madden. What I like most is the strategy. If a player is stinking in Madden he's just stinking but in HC you can look at what small things that player does well and use his best attributes to really have him be a contributor. I just love the game on the whole. So much so that I'm doubtful if I'll even buy Madden and for the first time in years I'm probably gonna just rent NCAA to check the "coach mode" then make a decision on whether to buy.

There's just something about college ball so I have a good feeling I'll end up getting it at release.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:52 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 3

Will there be a coach mode on NCAA this year? They had the bastardized version last year where you snap the ball then let the play run but it wasn't a true coach mode. Anybody know?
Old 07-12-2006, 06:29 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

I'm certain that there most likely won't be a coach mode. As long as the game plays well, the "bastardized version" will suffice. However, because of HC, I'm not gonna rush out and drop 40 bucks on it. For the first time in years I'm gonna rent it first.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2006, 10:26 AM   #6
lav
Rookie

OVR: 4

I appreciate the replies. I decided to give Madden's Coach Mode a test drive. I like it. I've only worked with it briefly, but there are some things I like better about just coaching in Madden. I feel like the only thing NFL Head Coach has that Madden's Coach Mode doesn't is the ability to motivate and address individual players. Sometimes I feel as though all of my motivating and coaching goes in one ear and out the other anyway. It's a constant battle getting Vince Young to become consistant for me. I like how Madden has sliders. I prefer Madden's presentation. I have more trouble winning in Madden then I did in NFL Head Coach. So, I like the challenge. Plus, if I ever want to relocate my team, upgrade my stadium, or import players from my NCAA dynasty I can in Madden. I like how I can name team captains, change jersey numbers, change uniforms, and create players in Madden.

NFL Coach is not a bad game. I'll probably still play it from time to time. If it wasn't for this game I wouldn't have tried Madden's coach mode. I can't believe I've overlooked that feature all these years.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:02 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lav
I can't believe I've overlooked that feature all these years.
I'm glad to hear that you've tried it and enjoy it. Alot of folks think playing coach mode is the dumbest thing a person can do. For me and many others, you can't get more realism than you can with coach mode.

Last edited by NoleFan; 07-14-2006 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:50 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

Agree NoleFan. Coaching is a blast, just got to give it a try.
(FSU class of '01)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »