Home

If the game is too easy what is the point of playing it?

This is a discussion on If the game is too easy what is the point of playing it? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2006, 04:07 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: If the game is too easy what is the point of playing it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty123
Then dont play it.
So if you want to fix a game problems and descibe it's flaws you tell someone just not to play it? Yea great attitude.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:13 PM   #18
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

I don't find the game too easy....after all I just got spanked by the Lions. Hell their kicker gained 9 yards rushing against me!

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 07-12-2006, 07:34 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 2

madden you werent trying to get answers. You were badmouthing the game. You said even chimps could play it and kept complaining about how easy it is. I just figured if you disliked it so much maybe you should find a different game. I like it and I could care less if you think its too easy.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:20 AM   #20
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddenps2
So if you want to fix a game problems and descibe it's flaws you tell someone just not to play it? Yea great attitude.

I think his point was the game isn't going to be perfect and some guy's like yourself might not find it to be very challenging while others find it addictive and competive.

Try using a lesser team or maybe checkout the PC Version since I here the PC guy's created sliders that make the game more difficult.

I personally enjoy the game and I've had about 6 games decided by 4 points or less in my season so far after 9 games.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:07 PM   #21
Banned

Bobolini's Arena

OVR: 10

I must be a chimp! I'm 2-4 with the Texans. I've lost the 4 games but a total of 11 points. Lost to Eagles 24-23, Dolphins 27-21, Cowboys 30-27, and the Titans 14-13. Sure, I screwed up early setting the game up. I mistakenly drafted Vernon Davis at TE (should have taken Leinhart but listened to my SD). Fired coaches and couldn't figure out how to rehire specific coaches until later and then ended up replacing with coaches with lower ratings. I'll still learning and having fun. I'm yelling at Carr every game (well, to my computer screen) and cursing myself for not taking Leinhart. I love my "D" and hate my anemic "O". I could have started my career all over but hey "I'm a Rookie Head Coach" and hopefully I'll learn from this. I've got major weaknesses and to me this is playing out more true to life.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #22
Just started!

OVR: 0

does anyone still play this game the original nfl head coach?
Old 01-20-2013, 01:47 AM   #23
Pro

Aurabolt127's Arena

OVR: 6

It's easy if you use the wrong sliders, draft the steals, then cut them/resign them for easy cap fix cheats. IF you play the game as it's intended, and challenge yourself - it's a great game, albeit still flawed. There's a reason a ton of us still play it years after it came out. True, some still pull the different cheap moves to get ahead, but the couple of us who don't - I see us still playing the game in 5 years (assuming our 360s stay alive.)
Old 01-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 5

The game is fun, that's why I still play. It is too easy if you take full advantage of all the weaknesses in the program.

The sliders can help balance things.

As I have played I have eliminated the obvious abuses. I only save and reload when I want to experiment to see how something works. Well, maybe the staffing process. It seems broken to me.

The option to resign any player for another year at the minimum is way too abusive with a couple of exceptions. There are RFA process problems. In addition, it appears I had a player agree to an extension but the change never showed up on my roster. I haven't really decided about that one.

Changing a player's position when the player isn't on your team is silly. Changing the position of players on your team for any reason other than for them to play the new position is not for me.

Then my "house rules" move into gray areas.

Don't do things real NFL teams don't do. I'm sure there are many examples of this. Just a few.

Don't sub a HB into QB for QB running plays.
Don't sign a FA and immediately put him on the trading block.
Don't sign and drop FAs just to see their potential.
Don't use a "magic bullet". If a play is too good, don't overuse it.
Don't QB sneak every 3rd or 4th down with 2 or less to go!
Don't bid on players you don't intend to sign.
Don't sign top FAs during the playoffs.
Don't call plays in an easily predictable pattern.

Less obvious is whether to franchise a player intending to trade him.

Then there are all the things you can do that your AI opponents can't. This is much less obvious and more just a matter of personal taste.

You can sign the cream of the crop FAs just before training camp.
You can enter the same trade negotiation over and over to get more time.
You can bid on FAs you don't want to sign.
You can force the AI to decline a penalty during change of possession.
You can draft players based on game experience. Same for draft guides.

There are a few very powerful, important things you can do that the AI apparently doesn't do. I don't know what to do about these.

The Comparison Data on players in the draft is just way too helpful. Give me nothing but a dozen picks in the 6th round and comparison data and I'll get you a killer draft every time.

Negotiating for a player that isn't on the trading block.

Signing FAs during the season. (You have a 300 player taxi squad!)

In addition, you can get more information on FAs through your roster or the "Trade Away" screens. Is that sloppy programing or an intended loophole?

Anyway, it's a fun game and you can build your own house rules to make it more challenging.

Last edited by Wheeler Dealer; 01-20-2013 at 02:02 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »