Home

**NFL Head Coach 09 Developer Q&A Thread**

This is a discussion on **NFL Head Coach 09 Developer Q&A Thread** within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-03-2008, 06:23 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 17
Re: Lead Designer Q&A Session

Does the AI coaches change their playbook around to suit their team? Meaning one of the biggest problems I see with HC right now is how the CPU will address losing talent and draft picks. Let's take Denver right now, year's ago they were a rushing team with a west coast offense. Their run support has dried up but they have aerial weapons like Marshall and Stokely.

So here's the question, does the CPU add or take away plays to fit its team. Or are the CPU coach's playbook the same every year regardless of the talent or strengths and weaknesses of the team. How dynamic is the CPU coach's playbook? And does the CPU design it's own plays.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:39 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 4

Good to see you here, I want this game more than NCAA or Madden.

How much of a penalty would there be if I took a 4-3 DE out of college and converted him to a 3-4 OLB? Is that possible and worth it?

How is the player progression?

About how many draft busts/gems are there in each draft?

Thanks
Old 06-03-2008, 06:40 PM   #19
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Asking another guys question for him. Will there be a practice squad as well as a full roster?

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 06-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #20
NFL Head Coach '09 Lead Designer

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjoid
Hi Josh - great to see you over here at OS...these are some questions that I posted on a previous thread a few weeks ago..if you can answer some that'd be great:

1. With the game using the Madden engine what are the graphical differences between HC09 and Madden 09 (if any)? I'm presuming the engine is using Madden 09 - but this may not be the case - if so which engine is it using? - update since question was raised - using Madden 08 engine?

2. Is there field and uniform degradation during gameplay?

3. Can you view other side's games (as cpu v cpu) - could be used as a valuable scouting tool? Or are you restricted to only seeing your own side's games?

4. Tied into question 3 but if you're side doesn't make the playoffs are you able to watch any of the other playoff games..ie with the game having so much depth it would be a little disappointing imho to play a full season and just be told who has won the Superbowl - it would be a great addition if you could actually watch these games unfold (even if you're team isn't involved). That's what would happen irl.

5. What is the pre-season feature that EA have alluded to on their website - can they reveal any further info on this?

6. Are the players/coaches in the game editable (Names/Ratings etc)

7. What happens if you get fired half way through a season...does it just end or are you able to apply for other jobs as they crop up by playing through the remainder of the season - or do sackings only occur at the season end?

8. Relating to 7 - if you are sacked can you just pick a new team to coach within the same season or do you have to wait for job offers?

9. What are the difficulty levels? Which level would achieve the most realistic results/stats?

10. In-game sliders - what can they affect?

11. Are there any other personalities in the game apart from Adam Schefter. If so, what do they do/add to the game?

12. Will roster updates be available for the game? If so will this include downloadable content ie. player pics etc?

13. What is the roster cut-off point prior to the game going gold?

14. Are pre-season games included and will the CPU sub out it's starters accordingly in these games?

15. Are there any player/coach awards in the game? ie. weekly awards, season awards.

16. Do players get selected for the Pro Bowl along with the coaches? Is this game playable within the game?

17. Are you able to view stats or highlights from other side's games?

18. Will the Superbowl be held in different stadiums each season?

19. Will CPU teams attempt to upgrade their roster throughout the season? For example, if their #1 QB gets injured and is out for the season will they look to trade depending upon their season standing?

20. Josh Looman in the OS video touched upon how they have got the stats and number of plays about right - has this been polished and can they confirm that the stats/no. of plays will be statistically correct with the release version.

21. Relating to Q20 - is there a supersim feature? - CONFIRMED If so has this been tuned to produce realistic stats & no. of plays per game (this was poorly implemented in NCAA 08)

22. Do CPU teams sub accordingly in-game? Is there a sub in/out slider and will it work? Will the #2 replace the #1 at times during the game for example (due to fatigue).

23. Does the weather play any effect at gametime? eg. A cold day in Milwaukee when the Bucs come into town - will it have a detrimental effect on the away team?

24. During a game are you informed of the latest scores from around the league? So if you're locked in a battle for the wild card for instance, it would be good to know the latest scores from the other games that your closest challengers are playing in. Does this lead into viewing highlights from other games?

25. Are you able to view other team details? Roster, stats, depth chart etc. Bascially anything about all the NFL teams.

26. Will a free agent always sign with the team that gives him the most money or will he sign with the team that has the best chance to win? Does the free agent take into account the philosophy of the team and the players or is it all about money?

27. How realistic will penalties be during game play?

28. Is the game single player only? By this I mean can you have more than one player during a career...for example 2 friends playing with different teams or is it a max of one user for career mode?

29. Will there be a demo released? If so, any idea on a release date?

30. I realise it's still early and this is dependant upon many issues but what are the future plans for the product? Will there be a HC 2010? Having been a tester for Sports Interactive on their Football Manager and Hockey manager products I realise the amount of work that goes into these titles. FM is a massive seller in Europe so hopefully there is a niche in the market within the US for HC09 which may lead onto further development. Even though I'm in the UK I've got my PS3 (region free) copy already ordered.

From the videos and blogs I've seen and also the great info provided from the recent community event HC09 looks a fantastic title which I'm eagerly awaiting dropping through my letterbox.

Thanks
Mark

This is going to be a long one. Let's see how I do...

1. With the game using the Madden engine what are the graphical differences between HC09 and Madden 09 (if any)? I'm presuming the engine is using Madden 09 - but this may not be the case - if so which engine is it using? - update since question was raised - using Madden 08 engine?

Answer: There are going to be some graphical differences. We started with the Madden 08 engine and sort of made it our own. We won't have a lot of their graphical upgrades for '09, just like they won't have our sideline presentation.

2. Is there field and uniform degradation during gameplay?

Answer: We have the degradation that Madden '08 shipped with.

3. Can you view other side's games (as cpu v cpu) - could be used as a valuable scouting tool? Or are you restricted to only seeing your own side's games?

Answer: Great question and even better idea. We only allow you to view your games this year but that's definitely something we can look into in the future.

4. Tied into question 3 but if you're side doesn't make the playoffs are you able to watch any of the other playoff games..ie with the game having so much depth it would be a little disappointing imho to play a full season and just be told who has won the Superbowl - it would be a great addition if you could actually watch these games unfold (even if you're team isn't involved). That's what would happen irl.

Answer: That would be a cool feature, I agree. Hopefully we can look into that down the road.

5. What is the pre-season feature that EA have alluded to on their website - can they reveal any further info on this?

Answer: Yup. We added Cut Days and Expanded Rosters, which is something you guys have asked for for years now.

It's hard to describe a pretty in-depth feature in a paragraph, but here goes. After the Draft, you have the ability to bid against other teams for Undrafted Rookie Free Agents in a pretty cool Live Event. After you've signed those undrafted guys, you head to training camp. When training camp starts, your GM will invite street free agents and unsigned veterns to try out for the team.

When training camp starts, you'll only know what you unlocked in scouting for the rookies. For the new street free agents, you'll know very little. As the weeks go on, you'll be forced to cut down to predetermined roster limits and you may have to cut some of these rookies you know very little about. Each week, you'll unlock a little more about each rookie until the regular season starts and everything is unlocked. The risk reward is choosing between these guys that may be diamonds in the rough once you unlock all info on them or cutting that servicable veteran that you know everything about but who may not have any potential left.

6. Are the players/coaches in the game editable (Names/Ratings etc)

Answer: We allow you to edit numbers and positions of players. Coaches can't be edited.

7. What happens if you get fired half way through a season...does it just end or are you able to apply for other jobs as they crop up by playing through the remainder of the season - or do sackings only occur at the season end?

Answer: We handle all staff firings and hirings once a team's season has ended. We want to give you the chance to make a run at the end of the year to get your approval up high enough to maybe get a reprieve from the owner.

8. Relating to 7 - if you are sacked can you just pick a new team to coach within the same season or do you have to wait for job offers?

Answer: You'll be able to choose from a list of teams interested in your services. If you are a terrible coach, there may not be anyone interested in you.

9. What are the difficulty levels? Which level would achieve the most realistic results/stats?

Answer: We tuned the game so that the stats/results are realistic from the get go. The difficulty level in our eyes is determined by the team that you take. Dolphins? Difficult.

10. In-game sliders - what can they affect?

Answer: They have the same effect they do in Madden, as far as the AI and penalty sliders go.

11. Are there any other personalities in the game apart from Adam Schefter. If so, what do they do/add to the game?

Answer: Todd McShay is the other personality in the game and he gives you updates on the Draft and does a Mock Draft each year.

12. Will roster updates be available for the game? If so will this include downloadable content ie. player pics etc?

Answer: Yes. It will just be the normal roster updates that you're used to.

13. What is the roster cut-off point prior to the game going gold?

Answer: That has yet to be determined.

14. Are pre-season games included and will the CPU sub out it's starters accordingly in these games?

Answer: Yes and Yes.

15. Are there any player/coach awards in the game? ie. weekly awards, season awards.

Answer: Yes. Pro Bowl, Weekly Awards, Yearly Awards including Coach of the Year.

16. Do players get selected for the Pro Bowl along with the coaches? Is this game playable within the game?

Answer: The Pro Bowl is not playable and coaches aren't named to the Pro Bowl.

17. Are you able to view stats or highlights from other side's games?

Answer: You can view boxscores from all other games and you can view your opponent's play calling tendencies the week before your game with them.

18. Will the Superbowl be held in different stadiums each season?

Answer: Yes.

19. Will CPU teams attempt to upgrade their roster throughout the season? For example, if their #1 QB gets injured and is out for the season will they look to trade depending upon their season standing?

Answer: Yes. Teams are constantly evaluating each position and upgrading them if the logic tells them it's necessary.

20. Josh Looman in the OS video touched upon how they have got the stats and number of plays about right - has this been polished and can they confirm that the stats/no. of plays will be statistically correct with the release version.

Answer: Yes. We get about 125-135 offensive plays per game. I've seen linebackers with 16 tackles and running backs with 30 carries. That's not only in the simmed games but in the played games, too.

21. Relating to Q20 - is there a supersim feature? - CONFIRMED If so has this been tuned to produce realistic stats & no. of plays per game (this was poorly implemented in NCAA 08)

Answer: Yes. We are exclusively using the Supersim stats engine, so it had better be tuned.

22. Do CPU teams sub accordingly in-game? Is there a sub in/out slider and will it work? Will the #2 replace the #1 at times during the game for example (due to fatigue).

Answer: Yes. Players are subbed out when fatigued, banged up or during a blow out.

23. Does the weather play any effect at gametime? eg. A cold day in Milwaukee when the Bucs come into town - will it have a detrimental effect on the away team?

Answer: Probably not in that aspect but it will have an effect on gameplay. And since you visit the opponent's campus before you go into the game, you will know it is snowing before you even enter the stadium.

24. During a game are you informed of the latest scores from around the league? So if you're locked in a battle for the wild card for instance, it would be good to know the latest scores from the other games that your closest challengers are playing in. Does this lead into viewing highlights from other games?

Answer: You will see ticker scores from other games during your season.

25. Are you able to view other team details? Roster, stats, depth chart etc. Bascially anything about all the NFL teams.

Answer: You can see everything about the other team's players except for their potential. Roster, stats, depth chart, health, etc.

26. Will a free agent always sign with the team that gives him the most money or will he sign with the team that has the best chance to win? Does the free agent take into account the philosophy of the team and the players or is it all about money?

Answer: The Free Agent will be tougher to deal with based on his personality traits when it's time to hammer out the contract. If the team he's negotiating with tries to et him to accept a cheap deal, he could walk away and go back on the market.

27. How realistic will penalties be during game play?

Answer: I think they are pretty realistic. You will see more penalties than you normally see in sports games.

28. Is the game single player only? By this I mean can you have more than one player during a career...for example 2 friends playing with different teams or is it a max of one user for career mode?

Answer: One user per career mode.

29. Will there be a demo released? If so, any idea on a release date?

Answer: I don't have any details on this yet.

30. I realise it's still early and this is dependant upon many issues but what are the future plans for the product? Will there be a HC 2010? Having been a tester for Sports Interactive on their Football Manager and Hockey manager products I realise the amount of work that goes into these titles. FM is a massive seller in Europe so hopefully there is a niche in the market within the US for HC09 which may lead onto further development. Even though I'm in the UK I've got my PS3 (region free) copy already ordered.

Answer: Good question. I don't know what the plans are at this point, but if you guys love it and the response is great, I hope we get to make another version.

I sure hope we get another chance. This team has poured their hearts into making this game as amazing as it could be for you guys.

Hope that answers all of your questions. Please forgive any spelling or grammar issues since I was typing very quickly.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:52 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLaren
Josh, I'm extremely pleased that you're taking a moment to speak with members of this forum, thank you.

My question is related to QB play. My biggest issue with the original HeadCoach was that it felt like the QB that I was coaching never really followed the progressions that I had setup for him (that may have been because my QB was Aaron Brooks though ), which made me feel like I had very little control over his decision making process. It was frustrating for me to tell my QB to look for the quick-out first, only to have him immediately focusing downfield once the ball was snapped; even though his first read was open in the flats.

Can I look forward to my QB being more responsive to the progressions that I setup for him?

Thanks.
The great thing about this game is that we let you set the progressions for any play using the in-game play creator. You can set the primary receiver, secondary, on down the line.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2008, 07:09 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod
Does the AI coaches change their playbook around to suit their team? Meaning one of the biggest problems I see with HC right now is how the CPU will address losing talent and draft picks. Let's take Denver right now, year's ago they were a rushing team with a west coast offense. Their run support has dried up but they have aerial weapons like Marshall and Stokely.

So here's the question, does the CPU add or take away plays to fit its team. Or are the CPU coach's playbook the same every year regardless of the talent or strengths and weaknesses of the team. How dynamic is the CPU coach's playbook? And does the CPU design it's own plays.
Yes. Each coach has his own unique playbook and philosophies that match that style of play. If a college coach who runs the option comes into the NFL, he's going to want a fast QB to run his offense.

The other cool thing is that when a coach leaves a team for a new job (which ambitious personality type coaches will do), he will take a piece of his old team's playbook with him and he spreads that around the league.

And...CPU teams will download plays that the community creates and use those in their playbooks against you. The first time I saw that in-game was a great feeling. It's almost like a Spore like feature in a sports game.

And...at the end of every game, as long as you have good coordinators, you will be able to steal plays from their playbook that they successfully ran against you. That way you can grab some of the cool plays other teams are running with.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:09 PM   #23
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Looman
Yes. Each coach has his own unique playbook and philosophies that match that style of play. If a college coach who runs the option comes into the NFL, he's going to want a fast QB to run his offense.

The other cool thing is that when a coach leaves a team for a new job (which ambitious personality type coaches will do), he will take a piece of his old team's playbook with him and he spreads that around the league.

And...CPU teams will download plays that the community creates and use those in their playbooks against you. The first time I saw that in-game was a great feeling. It's almost like a Spore like feature in a sports game.

And...at the end of every game, as long as you have good coordinators, you will be able to steal plays from their playbook that they successfully ran against you. That way you can grab some of the cool plays other teams are running with.
Wow thats really cool...
Xbox-Shugarooo
Twitch.tv/Shugarooo
Old 06-03-2008, 07:12 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpezzano
Are there contract hold outs.

Can you change a coordinators system (ier switch from Cover 2 to 3-4 for example)

How exactly does practice work? Do you need to watch every play like last version or do you simply pick what your team will game plan for that week?

There are holdouts in the sense that contract talks can break down numerous times and players can inform you that they will not be re-signing with the team once their contract is up.

You can change any system.

We never wanted people to have to sit and watch practice for hours at a time. You pick a gameplan and move on to the next day. If you want to see your team on the field, you can go into play creator at anytime and try any play against any defense, seeing what works for you or doesn't.

But we don't force you to do that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »