Home

Cap Penalties

This is a discussion on Cap Penalties within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-06-2008, 12:23 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: Cap Penalties

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
Hmmm.. when I was playing on Friday (can't take my kit home with me unfortunately), I had $20 mil in cap penalties. The next year that dropped to $15 mil in cap penalties. But you did say it applies to next year's penalty. But man, I am very careful not to take cap penalties cause I was placed on the hot seat earlier for having too many. I can't believe I committed $15 mil in cap penalties this year. I don't remember cutting a guy with a huge signing bonus this last season.
The year in which the penalties are applied depends on when you cut or trade the guy. I don't know all the intricacies though so I can't give more info than I already have. Did you make trades? The cap penalties apply to traded players just as if you had cut them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
That leads me to another question... if a guy is in the last year of his contract and you cut him, you still take a cap penalty right? It will just be the smallest hit possible for cutting a guy under contract.
The penalty for cutting or trading a guy in the least year of his contract is indeed minimal. The guy's normal bonus # will be applied to the cap without being increased since there are no extra years to amortize.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:05 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 6

there should be some kind of interaction screen that lets you know what you taking for a hit. any player you trade will take salary off your current year but you will take a hit the following year from there bonus one way to try and get around this is to tinker with it here is a sugestion on what to do if there is a player you want to get off your team because of you just dont like them or you want value for the player before there gone because you feel you cant resign them, Try this offer the player the max length wich normally is 7 yrs before they enter free agency you will find that the average per year is prolly the lowest and the contract is back ended wich means in year 5 threw 7 its a rediculious amount of money. wich you dont care cause there not your player as well as the hit is lower so basically your doing a sign and trade 1 you lower your cap hit for the trade 2 you get value before there gone after there traded its the other teams responsablity not yours.

In real life teams hire Cap Gurus and they do some amazing stuff to get around or cheat ill give you an example the Vikings and the Eagles both did this last season its called dead money. What they do is say ok Adrian Peterson ill give you a bonus of 4 million dollars if you rush for 3ooo yards. Well of course he not going to get there so what the team can do is carry over the 4 million dollars to the next season alllowing well in this case the eagles grabed Asante Samule for doing this smart move. It was money they were under the previous year and they found a way to carry it over alowing them to sign a key free agent.

Last edited by madrob; 07-07-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:39 PM   #11
R**k**

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrob
there should be some kind of interaction screen that lets you know what you taking for a hit. any player you trade will take salary off your current year but you will take a hit the following year from there bonus one way to try and get around this is to tinker with it here is a sugestion on what to do if there is a player you want to get off your team because of you just dont like them or you want value for the player before there gone because you feel you cant resign them, Try this offer the player the max length wich normally is 7 yrs before they enter free agency you will find that the average per year is prolly the lowest and the contract is back ended wich means in year 5 threw 7 its a rediculious amount of money. wich you dont care cause there not your player as well as the hit is lower so basically your doing a sign and trade 1 you lower your cap hit for the trade 2 you get value before there gone after there traded its the other teams responsablity not yours.

In real life teams hire Cap Gurus and they do some amazing stuff to get around or cheat ill give you an example the Vikings and the Eagles both did this last season its called dead money. What they do is say ok Adrian Peterson ill give you a bonus of 4 million dollars if you rush for 3ooo yards. Well of course he not going to get there so what the team can do is carry over the 4 million dollars to the next season alllowing well in this case the eagles grabed Asante Samule for doing this smart move. It was money they were under the previous year and they found a way to carry it over alowing them to sign a key free agent.
When you sign a player for a longer period he wants a bigger bonus so you dont save any money signing him long term and trading him because that whole signing bonus will be counted as "dead money" next year. And your example of Peterson the term used is "not likely to be earned" incentives. The best way to get around dead money is to re-sign players to one year deals. It eats up alot of cap space in the current year but you can let that player walk away after the season and there will be no effect on next years cap. This is how I have to clean up for Matt Millen every year in Madden. By re-working all his bad long term contracts to one year deals I start fresh the next season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2008, 06:26 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 6

I guess what I was refering to in real life was a loop hole that teams do to carry over money the next year example lets say my teams cap is 78 million my total team cap with my current roster sits at 74 million now i know i dont want to sign any other person for the rest of season. and then i ask my cap guru ok how much will we have for free money next season he then says to me we will be about 5 million under the cap. i say ok thanks so i then make a rediculious incentive bonus to a player that i know wont reach saying i will give this player 4 million knowing that 4 mill plus 74 mill puts me at my limit. now the next season i dont have 5 mill i have 9 mill to spend the nfl allows the team to use that 4 million the next season because it was un earned money. its a loop hole that smart teams do to sign key players.

and go lions lol hopefully this is millens last year they only going to win 1 game in the last 6 and be in the top 5 of the draft again 6-10

as far as one year deals it really is hard for us to give advice on a game we have not even played yet the contracts and structure are surley not the same as madden engine.

Last edited by madrob; 07-08-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:27 PM   #13
NFL Head Coach '09 Lead Designer

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrob
I guess what I was refering to in real life was a loop hole that teams do to carry over money the next year example lets say my teams cap is 78 million my total team cap with my current roster sits at 74 million now i know i dont want to sign any other person for the rest of season. and then i ask my cap guru ok how much will we have for free money next season he then says to me we will be about 5 million under the cap. i say ok thanks so i then make a rediculious incentive bonus to a player that i know wont reach saying i will give this player 4 million knowing that 4 mill plus 74 mill puts me at my limit. now the next season i dont have 5 mill i have 9 mill to spend the nfl allows the team to use that 4 million the next season because it was un earned money. its a loop hole that smart teams do to sign key players.

and go lions lol hopefully this is millens last year they only going to win 1 game in the last 6 and be in the top 5 of the draft again 6-10

as far as one year deals it really is hard for us to give advice on a game we have not even played yet the contracts and structure are surley not the same as madden engine.
Contracts are very different from Madden. Completely different. You can't just bully Peyton Manning into signing a 1-year deal. He won't take it.

But you can offer incentives in the deals.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:39 AM   #14
Pro

Step2001's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Looman
Contracts are very different from Madden. Completely different. You can't just bully Peyton Manning into signing a 1-year deal. He won't take it.

But you can offer incentives in the deals.

Signing an older vet to an outrageous contract (let's say 6-7 years so the cap hit is lessened the first couple of years) should be the signing bonus.
Because when he retires and you signed the guy knowingly he would not finish out the contract.
After retiring, the players left amount of his signing bonus should accelerate on to the cap. "Dead Money"!

This would make signing or resigning a veteran more of a tough decision. Especially if he wants more years and more money upfront.
Now you weigh the boost this veteran could give you during the 1-2 year window he has. Then factor into the thinking the Salary Cap mess you might have after that when the rest of his bonus money is on the books after he retires.

Retiring becuse of injury is another salary cap problem. Where money from the bonus would accelerate on to the cap.

Have the June 1st cut date in the game. Allowing us to cut a veteran but have the remaining signing bonus money spread out over two season instead of one.

I'm just going on the salary cap hell teams have been in from giving players these huge signing bonus! We should not have the signing bonus wiped off the books when the player is off the roster.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »