Home

question about the game. training camp

This is a discussion on question about the game. training camp within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2008, 11:36 AM   #17
MVP

HitDoctor's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: question about the game. training camp

I think that BKrich said it best. I'll probably spend more time with this than Madden!
Old 07-30-2008, 07:06 PM   #18
NFL Head Coach '09 Lead Designer

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod
Will there be balance in play learning, meaning that there's no possible way to get everyone proficient. So you can get your first team'ers the needed reps but 2nd and definitely 3rd string will see a disadvantage?
yes. Lets say you're trying to get your players to know a certain play better. In practice, your starters will run it until they know it well. Then they are replaced individually with the backups until they know it. Two things are essential to play knowledge...a player's learning ability and your coach's skills. If you have a player who has a low learning ability, you will have a hard time getting him to learn decent chunks of the playbook (see Dwayne Jarrett, Carolina Panthers). You'll have to pay careful attention to a rookie's learning ability when scouting them. We used a true 0-100 scale, so we have players with a 25 learning ability. Learning can progress, too. That's how we define a lot of our 'project' players. The other thing to remember is that play knowledge atrophies in the offseason every year. The amount it atrophies is directly proportional to the learning ability (Peyton Manning's doesn't really atrophy where Dwayne Jarrett may lose a good chunk of play knowledge).

One of my favorite things in the game is play knowledge transferring between systems and playbooks. If Ronde Barber is cut and goes to the Colts, he'll already be familiar with 95% of their playbook. So knowledge works within the system concept, also.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:11 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Looman
yes. Lets say you're trying to get your players to know a certain play better. In practice, your starters will run it until they know it well. Then they are replaced individually with the backups until they know it. Two things are essential to play knowledge...a player's learning ability and your coach's skills. If you have a player who has a low learning ability, you will have a hard time getting him to learn decent chunks of the playbook (see Dwayne Jarrett, Carolina Panthers). You'll have to pay careful attention to a rookie's learning ability when scouting them. We used a true 0-100 scale, so we have players with a 25 learning ability. Learning can progress, too. That's how we define a lot of our 'project' players. The other thing to remember is that play knowledge atrophies in the offseason every year. The amount it atrophies is directly proportional to the learning ability (Peyton Manning's doesn't really atrophy where Dwayne Jarrett may lose a good chunk of play knowledge).

One of my favorite things in the game is play knowledge transferring between systems and playbooks. If Ronde Barber is cut and goes to the Colts, he'll already be familiar with 95% of their playbook. So knowledge works within the system concept, also.
Simply incredible. So many games within the game. This truely makes individuals, individuals. Great stuff!
Old 07-30-2008, 08:02 PM   #20
Buddha

ahunter5's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Looman

This is simply unreal. I can't imagine the time it took to come up with everything that's in this game.

A quick question. In the example you gave above (Barber to the Colts) -- if I'm running the Colts, will I be able to see how familiar the playbook will be to Barber before I sign him? Or is it more of keeping track of the system he played under in Tampa, and realizing that my Tampa 2 is quite similar?
Old 07-31-2008, 11:54 AM   #21
MVP

HitDoctor's Arena

OVR: 13

Just started reading more about this game yesterday on this forum and I can truly say that I am awestruck!! Question, I'm an old gamer and very lazy. Will I be able to assign scouts and coaches to do ALL of the leg work so I can just coach?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2008, 06:43 PM   #22
NFL Head Coach '09 Lead Designer

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitDoctor
Just started reading more about this game yesterday on this forum and I can truly say that I am awestruck!! Question, I'm an old gamer and very lazy. Will I be able to assign scouts and coaches to do ALL of the leg work so I can just coach?
yes. you can delegate anything to your staff, but you'd better hire a good staff.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:53 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 39

OMG
I am sooo pumped for this. So far I would have to say between Madden and NCAA and HC that you sir have one the 09 prize.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »