Home

Bill Abner's first Head Coach Impressions

This is a discussion on Bill Abner's first Head Coach Impressions within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2008, 04:01 PM   #65
MVP

OVR: 17
Re: Bill Abner's first Head Coach Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Bill can confirm, but I would think they would have to be. Doubt both games could fit on one DVD.

I know my neighbor is getting the CE and he loves Madden.. I think I'll probably buy Head Coach off him if he doesn't want it.
There was a picture of the CE edition somewhere here at OS.

The CE edition has a 3 DVD foldout case. It's not like you are getting Madden it its own packaging and HC in it's own. I guess you could sell the DVD alone but it's not like Madden is in Madden packaging.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #66
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod
There was a picture of the CE edition somewhere here at OS.

The CE edition has a 3 DVD foldout case. It's not like you are getting Madden it its own packaging and HC in it's own. I guess you could sell the DVD alone but it's not like Madden is in Madden packaging.
Right here: (Warning, the Pics Phil posted are HUUUUGE! )

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ox-images.html
Old 08-03-2008, 05:46 PM   #67
Buddha

ahunter5's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Abner
I have my sunday basketball game at noon today but Head Coach is on the docket this afternoon.

As for negatives? Again, you guys know what I have seen: 1 preseason game and 1 week of preseason practices, an FA bid war, and a few trade offers (oh..and I could NOT screw the AI in the trade deal. At least when it came to trading draft picks, the Eagles were stingy.)

The stuff that annoyed me, and this is trivial really:

I couldn't keep my 2nd and 3rd string players in during the preseason game. Fatigue would set in and Braylon would be back out there in 4 WR sets. I need to sign more WRs in the preseason methinks.

I had a "Defining Moment" where the game says, "It's 3rd down you have the opposing team backed up inside its own 10. What do you do?"

It then asks if I wanted to blitz or drop back in coverage. Being me -- I sent the house. Well, the Jets gained 21 yards. Doh. Because of that nearly every player's attitude rating toward me dropped by 10 points. That seemed a bit harsh. It was a first down in a preseason game. It wasn't like I called a surprise onside or something. Maybe Josh can explain how that works and what that really means.

I'll have more thoughts later today; I want to play another game and I'm also going to start the career over and look at the Draft AI.

Oh, and making your coach is fun. You get to choose skills from this huge skill tree. It's like World of WarCraft.
I think Josh stated that you can have 80 players in camp. There are cut down days each week, just as in the real pre-season. This would prevent the Braylon Edwards 4th quarter preseason show...

I'm loving that the trade AI is as good as Josh suggested. Great to hear.

I've never played World of Warcraft, but I'm guessing the comparison is a positive?

If that's the only complaints so far, I'm a happy man.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:58 PM   #68
Buddha

ahunter5's Arena

I just finished reading Bill's newest blog post here: http://nutweasel.blogspot.com/

The draft sounds unreal. 5 trade offers proposed by the CPU to the player in the first round alone. THIS is the depth I've always wanted in a football game. 8 of the 31 picks in the 1st round were obtained via trade. Plus, New England doesn't have the 1st round pick that was taken by Goddell.

Bill suggested that the AI seemed pretty good, with only a few suprises and nothing completely out of left field. Just like the real draft, no WR's taken in round 1. Jonathan Stewart not getting drafted is a shock, but these things happen. The Broncos took a RB in round 1 (Chris Johnson) over Stewart. I wonder if this had anything to do with the offensive system in place in Denver.

He does have a few issues which seem valid. Nothing that ruins the game by any stretch, but things that seem a bit annoying. I'd be interested in hearing from Josh about these.

Most importantly, however, the read is positive, and Bill seems to be enjoying the game thus far. Exactly what I wanted to hear.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:26 PM   #69
Rookie

OVR: 4

Yeah reading the cowboys picked mendenhall got me excited

I was hoping they were going to do that @1.22 instead of felix jones

the more i read about this game the more excited i'm getting
Old 08-03-2008, 06:29 PM   #70
Rookie

OVR: 5

The trade he made to jump from 28 to 11 was spot on in value. I think Buffalo made out about 100 points in value, but that is to be expected. This is very encouraging.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:29 PM   #71
MVP

Bill_Abner's Arena

OVR: 12

Remember though, there were no wide outs drafted in rnd 1 in the real draft, either. The WR talent pool is deep in this draft, just not much first rnd talent. They'll start falling in round 2, I'm assumimg.

The thing about Stewart -- my GM told me that he was the most overrated HB coming into the draft, maybe other teams got the memo? I LOVE guys falling like that as long as it's rare.

I just hope that teams don't draft more than 1 QB, or take 3 running backs, ala Madden. The way the game is going right now that would surprise me, but I'm naturally cautious.

Editor in Chief Gameshark.Com
http://www.gameshark.com
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2008, 06:43 PM   #72
Buddha

ahunter5's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Abner
Remember though, there were no wide outs drafted in rnd 1 in the real draft, either. The WR talent pool is deep in this draft, just not much first rnd talent. They'll start falling in round 2, I'm assumimg.

The thing about Stewart -- my GM told me that he was the most overrated HB coming into the draft, maybe other teams got the memo? I LOVE guys falling like that as long as it's rare.

I just hope that teams don't draft more than 1 QB, or take 3 running backs, ala Madden. The way the game is going right now that would surprise me, but I'm naturally cautious.
The Packers took two QB's in the real draft -- Brian Brohm and Matt Flynn. It's rare, but it does happen.

I'm with you, though. The draft sounds great, and the logic seems spot-on. If you got a message from your GM about Stewart, and that's why he fell, that's frickin' awesome! I truly don't think words can express my anticipation level for this game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »