Home

Game start, before the draft or after?

This is a discussion on Game start, before the draft or after? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Before Draft, After Draft - Coach, or use Real Coach
Before Draft, Real Coach 6 6.38%
Before Draft, I'm the Coach 41 43.62%
After Draft, Real Coach 25 26.60%
After Draft, I'm the Coach 22 23.40%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2008, 01:41 AM   #9
MVP

Danimal's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Game start, before the draft or after?

I'm taking my Bears after the draft and will play Lovie, I've already been practicing the catch phrase.

"Rex is our quarterback"
Old 08-03-2008, 02:31 PM   #10
Pro

OVR: 9

First time through I am playing with the Jets before the draft, me as the head coach. I want to get a feel for coaching skill tree and how the entire game works. I'll most likely just play one season at most to get the hang of things before I start my real first career. I always start a new franchise/dynasty with a team that has a new head coach in real life. For HC that will be the Falcons.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:37 PM   #11
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46

im using my dolphins, real coach and after the draft....this game is like if Mass Effect had a baby with Madden!!!

Last edited by Jukeman; 08-03-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2008, 03:11 PM   #12
Release the Kirchen

auburntigersfan's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahunter5
First time through, I'm using a real coach after the draft. Hopefully the game is so good that I'll use all four combinations at one time or another. I'm actually still torn on who I want to use...
lol at your sig
Old 08-03-2008, 03:24 PM   #13
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesimulator
Certainly a very good problem to have. I try to look at everything from the point of view of "how would events unfold if I really got hired" and base the realism from there. For me, it will be much more realistic if I am the coach, and I start before the draft.

Just like a real job, you would most likely be hired in January and then have to hire a staff, and go through FA and the draft.

Also, since it will be my first run through the game, everything will be new and will take time getting used to everything. I am sure (in real life) if I walked into the front office on my first day I would be nervous, excited, and overwhemed at first. As I am sifting through all the different options in the game, I can imagine myself going "whoa this is huge" just like i would in real life (looking at tape, organizing meetings, being prepared etc) So the "learn as you go approach" definitely applies here.

Granted I am sure ill make some rookie coach mistakes, but thats what makes it fun the human element to the game. Then I learn from it, again just like a real rookie coach.

I think if I decide to run a team after the draft, then I would assume the same coach, since it was really "his picks". Its much harder to have a realistic storyline, if I am taking over a team AFTER the draft, the existing coach would have had to either died, or been fired.

I also made up a rule that when I do my first run I am going to stick with it no matter how bad I potentially screw my team up. I AM NOT GOING TO QUIT and just reset the game. I am going to stick it out. If I get fired so be it. I do think it will be much cooler, seeing your own mug on the sidelines though much more realistic.
EXACTLY how I was thinking. Linehan has been canned and the Rams decide on an unknown rookie Head Coach.. what do they have to lose? Season ticket sales are at an all time low, the team in disarray.. and along comes myself to right the ship!

I want to get a draft under my belt right from the getgo.. then next year I should know what to expect.. unless I'm fired.. we have one heck of a schedule in front of us.

Man.. I'm getting so pumped about this game! FPS Football 97 was my favorite football sim ever, this one could tap those juices once again....
Old 08-03-2008, 05:28 PM   #14
Buddha

ahunter5's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburntigersfan
lol at your sig
Old 08-03-2008, 07:16 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 13

After

Might as well not mess with fact. I'm sure I'll make a game though sometime when I do it before draft.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2008, 08:31 PM   #16
Don't Trust Influencers

ChubbyBanana's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpezzano
I'm taking my Bears after the draft and will play Lovie, I've already been practicing the catch phrase.

"Rex is our quarterback"

Twitch Stream

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »