Home

***Official Impressions Thread***

This is a discussion on ***Official Impressions Thread*** within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2008, 06:09 AM   #25
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: ***Official Impressions Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesimulator
Watching the plays in play creator is simply watching only? Like, when you run plays from the play creator to watch your players, does that ehance any learning skills? It seems like the learned skill is based on practice and gameplay?
Yea the players only learn the plays in practice and in games. I use the play-creator as a way to get a look at how well my players perform the plays in my playbook before I run them in actual games.
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2008, 06:45 AM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 1

I got the game on Friday, and overall I am impressed, especially in comparison to the first one.

It's much more in depth and actually building your team is great. I started off with the Eagles franchise keeping the staff intact, hoping I could get them a SB win finally.

Anyway...
This is very in depth, and is very fun for those people that like more of the background aspects to the sport.

My Pros:

First off the best thing about this one compared to the last one... THE LOAD TIME, your not loading every 5 minutes, that made me happy as I lost patience with the first one because of that. In fact it's almost too fast paced now, I have to set the speed to slow so I can actually get everything on the side done along with my daily tasks.

Draft is amazing, you do everything from select players to scout, get info from the combine, interviews, private workouts, on campus visits, pretty much anything you here on NFL Network you actually get to do yourself.

Game news, Being that I have been addicted to NFL Network since I purchased Direct TV, I have been glued, getting info from Adam Sheftler(sp?) from what he thought of your game planning, contract negotiations, big signings or anything else he would actually talk about on the , it's nothing short of amazing.
Plus the little NFL Network commercials they throw in there with the coaches giving their team spiel was a great touch

Being able to build your coaches (Skills/Special Skills) up is nice aswell, especially when you want them to focus on certain areas for teaching your players.
Even the pesky owner keeps you in check from going off and doing your own thing with the team, you have free will, but only to an extent if you want to keep everyone in the organization happy.

As I learn the nuances of the game, some of the things that bother me now will probably be fine, it's a lot to grasp, but if you invest the time into it, you will have a blast.

Going for it on 4th down is a great addition, you debate going for it i, which is awesome. Have to know when to go for the gusto or just let it ride.

MY Neutral thoughts:

Trading is apart of football, and I understand why player-to-player trades are not there, but as I said before I went with the Eagles, so the first thing I tried to do was shop Lito Sheppard for another player, all I could get was a high 3rd rounder.

Contracts are only neutral because of one thing, the length. I like how incentives are finally included in deals, and of course the usual salaries and bonuses. The system that they installed for contract negotiations is definitely different, and I do like it a lot, almost wish they would use it in madden, the only thing I would have changed was when your a trying to get a deal done, there would be a few more options with different contract lengths, so if you only want the player around for another season, have him compete and see if he's worth keeping around instead of being forced to give him a multi year deal and of course Vica Versa.

Negatives:

Only 1, and I believe it's a bug that they are looking into regarding injuries, I had LJ Smith injured for 1-2 days in the preseason of season 1, and well I am midway through season 2, and he still has 1 day left to return... If I had to make a wild guess, I think it has something to do with the clock system, perhaps it's using real time instead of game time, but I don't know as I just play the game, not program it.

Show Emotion/calm

This was carried over from the original NFL HC: it does seem a bit better as you get more of a pop up ever once in ahwile, vs nearly every play being forced to talk to your players. I normally stay on calm as if I put myself in their shoes, I would only care about things that happen late in the 4th, or a player doing amazingly well or completely horrible. I still don't really understand it, and right now it continues to be a guessing game.

A few things I left off as they had minor to no influence on me.

Play Maker, I have never really been one to make plays, I toggled with the system a little bit and it is easy to get a hang of, but I am more of a background guy, prefer to do most of the GM stuff and minor coaching.

I can also help out if anyone has any questions, though I am still getting the hang of the game myself.

XBOX Gammertag: JokerXL
Old 08-10-2008, 08:32 AM   #27
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

The NFL Draft alone is worth the price of admission. Simply awesome with all the trades and discussions.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Old 08-10-2008, 09:10 AM   #28
Content Creator

bluengold34_OS's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
The NFL Draft alone is worth the price of admission. Simply awesome with all the trades and discussions.
I have only done coach now so far, trying to get a good feel for it. Going to jump in this morning and start playing around with that.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:11 AM   #29
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLaren
At first I was a little bummed because we don't get to actually watch our players during practice (or do we?). So we would only see how our players performed on gameday instead of having a chance to evaluate them before putting them on the field. But I found a work-a-around for that; I just go into 'play-creator' and run plays from there where you can see each player in action.
So practice isn't like the 1st HC where you run plays trying to increase your players' proficiency (that percentage deal) with them?

Can you describe how you go about practice? I'm interested!
Old 08-10-2008, 11:11 AM   #30
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34
I have only done coach now so far, trying to get a good feel for it. Going to jump in this morning and start playing around with that.
Give yourself awhile. With the pre stuff, then free agency, then the draft, I was nearing 3 hours and I stopped in the 4th round of the draft.

This game is soooo deep.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Old 08-10-2008, 11:23 AM   #31
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

The impressions sound great. I may pick the CE up and let HC sit for a little bit till I get tired of Madden and NCAA. For $30 more, not a bad deal.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2008, 12:06 PM   #32
Content Creator

bluengold34_OS's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
Give yourself awhile. With the pre stuff, then free agency, then the draft, I was nearing 3 hours and I stopped in the 4th round of the draft.

This game is soooo deep.
Brother, you are not lying. I just spent 3 hours messing around with Free agency, camps...blah. I am not saving it, just wanted to get familair with it

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »