Home

Air Coryell?

This is a discussion on Air Coryell? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
Pro

osubucksfan47's Arena

OVR: 10
Air Coryell?

I know that college coaches bring in specific offenses like the Wishbone, Opition, etc., but does anyone bring in Air Coryell? I know its just another type of West Coast offense but I wanted to try and recreate that Chargers team with current personnel.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Air Coryell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by osubucksfan47
I know that college coaches bring in specific offenses like the Wishbone, Opition, etc., but does anyone bring in Air Coryell? I know its just another type of West Coast offense but I wanted to try and recreate that Chargers team with current personnel.

Maybe if you brought Joe Gibbs out of retirement, he used to work under Don Coryell.

Also, I think the Air Coryell predates the modern Bill Walsh West Coast ofense.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:00 AM   #3
Pro

osubucksfan47's Arena

OVR: 10

Yea, I believe you're right.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:07 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

It's a bit different though. It's pretty much a situation of opposites. Whereas what we know as the "West Cost Offense" is based around alot of short, "dink and dunk" passes by the quarterback, lots of slants, big receivers, etc - the Coryell scheme is FARRRRRRRR more vertical in nature. Yes, Jerry Rice could get deep in Walsh's scheme,, but there's a reason Don Coryell's scheme was termed "Air Coryell". Some people have termed Coryell's scheme the "real" west coast offense. Al Saunders (current OC of the Rams) is a Coryell disciple - so the rams book may be the closest anyone gets - and looking through the Prima guide and having seen examples of Coryell's system and terminology online, it's pretty similar. I have to say to the developers - GREAT job on schemes and terminology, too.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian1976
It's a bit different though. It's pretty much a situation of opposites. Whereas what we know as the "West Cost Offense" is based around alot of short, "dink and dunk" passes by the quarterback, lots of slants, big receivers, etc - the Coryell scheme is FARRRRRRRR more vertical in nature. Yes, Jerry Rice could get deep in Walsh's scheme,, but there's a reason Don Coryell's scheme was termed "Air Coryell". Some people have termed Coryell's scheme the "real" west coast offense. Al Saunders (current OC of the Rams) is a Coryell disciple - so the rams book may be the closest anyone gets - and looking through the Prima guide and having seen examples of Coryell's system and terminology online, it's pretty similar. I have to say to the developers - GREAT job on schemes and terminology, too.
I was going to say that... the Coryell Offense is not a whole like the Walsh's West Coast offense. The Coryell Offense spreads the field vertically a lot more.

from http://www.geocities.com/epark/raide...l-offense.html

Quote:
How the Coryell offense differs from the West Coast offense

The WCO has the following characteristics:

-It is a "ball-control" offense, predicated on the ability of the QB to achieve a high completion percentage
-The receivers often run precise short-to-intermediate routes and a lot of crossing routes and slants. The receivers are expected to pick up yards after the catch
-The QB takes more 3- and 5-step drops as opposed to 7-step drops
-When the QB and WRs are on the same page, it can be difficult to disrupt the rhythm of the offense
-It relies heavily on the receiving skills of backs coming out of the backfield

The Coryell offense has the following characteristics:

-It is a "stretch-the-field vertically" offense, predicated on the complementary effects of throwing deep and running the football
-The receivers often run intermediate-to-long routes
-The QB takes more 5- and 7-step drops
-It emphasizes maximum pass protection, to protect the QB until the receivers get open downfield
-It is committed to the power running game. The running game opens up opportunities for big downfield completions, and vice versa.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »