Home

Are the default sliders too easy?

This is a discussion on Are the default sliders too easy? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2008, 12:14 PM   #1
Champs!

Kearnzo's Arena

OVR: 18
Are the default sliders too easy?

Just wondering what you guys think. Right now, I am sitting at 6-1 with the Titans, with my only loss coming to the Texans. I even beat the Colts fairly handily in week 8, which suprised me.

My question is, are the default sliders too easy? I do think I am doing a pretty good job of gameplanning and working new players into the playbook, and my defense is stifling thus far, but I don't want to have it be a cakewalk each year. I am hoping I have just been gameplanning very well and my players are responding by executing.

Also noteworthy is the performance of Vince Young, who even with my craptastic group of recievers (highest is a 73 OVR) has 9 TD's and 6 INT's on the year. Lendale White has been carrying the load however, averaging over 100 YPG with 6 TD's so far. Doesn't hurt that my defense is only allowing about 10 PPG, and already has a shutout on the year (KC). Doesn't hurt that due to starting pre draft, I got another shot at free agency, and held on to Haynesworth along with picking up Asante Samuel who has been a stud. This allowed me to focus on offense during the draft much more, and I traded up to acquire Jake Long at pick 11 after being left on the board, and he is also a stud (91 OVR). Also grabbed Xavier Adibi in round 4 I believe, and he is already rated higher than Thornton at LOLB with a potential around 87. Great draft.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: Are the default sliders too easy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kearnzo
Just wondering what you guys think. Right now, I am sitting at 6-1 with the Titans, with my only loss coming to the Texans. I even beat the Colts fairly handily in week 8, which suprised me.

My question is, are the default sliders too easy? I do think I am doing a pretty good job of gameplanning and working new players into the playbook, and my defense is stifling thus far, but I don't want to have it be a cakewalk each year. I am hoping I have just been gameplanning very well and my players are responding by executing.

Also noteworthy is the performance of Vince Young, who even with my craptastic group of recievers (highest is a 73 OVR) has 9 TD's and 6 INT's on the year. Lendale White has been carrying the load however, averaging over 100 YPG with 6 TD's so far. Doesn't hurt that my defense is only allowing about 10 PPG, and already has a shutout on the year (KC). Doesn't hurt that due to starting pre draft, I got another shot at free agency, and held on to Haynesworth along with picking up Asante Samuel who has been a stud. This allowed me to focus on offense during the draft much more, and I traded up to acquire Jake Long at pick 11 after being left on the board, and he is also a stud (91 OVR). Also grabbed Xavier Adibi in round 4 I believe, and he is already rated higher than Thornton at LOLB with a potential around 87. Great draft.
So wait are you bragging about your draft or asking if the game is too easy...
Old 08-13-2008, 12:37 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

I don't know what it is about the game... but something needs to be toned....

Marion Barber through 8 weeks: 22 fumbles... 22!

I lost to the colts in week 5 76-77, I was up 76-63 with 0:20 to go and LOST! They returned a kick for a TD, then kicked to me and SURPRISE! Fumble! to which they RETURN for a TD. Seriously... come on now.

I've looked and looked, there seems to be no way to tone fumbles down. I can move the ball (over 500 yards passing a GAME on default settings) but I am 1-4 now because MY team can't hang on to the ball, but every other team has Superglue gloves.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:40 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

Tennessee is a good team to start with. They have a young QB, good ground game, and pretty good coach, plus I think they are pretty well versed in the playbook already. You also made some good moves to take that defense up to the next level. Your concern might have to be some hard cap choices in the future. How big of a hit did you take signing Samuel, Haynesworth and a top half first round pick? When do the contracts of some of those o-linmen like Mawae come up, and how about Kearse, Bullock and Harper? Your moves could give you a great season now, but what about 2 years season from now?
Old 08-13-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
Rookie

I'm agreeing with this. I took over the Chiefs and went 13-3 in my first year. To do that, I picked up Haynesworth, a good RG, Chris Long, Jeff Otah, a WR with 88 potential in the second, a CB with 87 potential in the second, and I got lucky with a WR with 90 potential in the third. WIth my second third I got a MLB with 88 potential who started at 79 overall. In addition, I got a UDFA LE with 85 potential to rotate with Tambi Hali, and a UDFA LT with 88 potential to develope behind my current LT, and an UDFA RB with 89 potential to back up Larry Johnson. I traded for Chris Gamble as well and got Trent Green in FA as my starter.
All this together propelled me to a 13-3 season. Then, I got the famous 83 draft class of Qbs. I didn't even trade up, figuring either Dane Morrow (Marino) or Kelly James (Jim Kelly) would fall to me. I took Morrow with the 28th pick, and Kelly was chosen with the 29th pick. Also, Leron James fell to me in the 4th. I then got an UDFA ROLB who is 80 overall and 88 potential, as well as another UDFA LT, who actually finished camp at 86 with 89 potential and supplanted my starter.

So in two drafts, I got my beastly RT, a beastly RE, a good rotation LE, two starting caliber WRs to go with Dwayne Bowe, a starting CB, a starting MLB, a back up MLB, a backup LT with great potential, s starting LT, my franchise QB, a future Franchise RB, a starting ROLB, and a few good backups at CB, S, C, and RT.

I mean, I've been getting lucky with the UDFAs so far, as well as not busting with any of my draft picks. But I also managed to get Haynesworth and my starting RG in FA. All of this and I'm 8 mil under the cap (though things got a little spotty my first year). And I have a projected 30 mil in cap space next year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
MVP

plasticbeast's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchJones
Tennessee is a good team to start with. They have a young QB, good ground game, and pretty good coach, plus I think they are pretty well versed in the playbook already. You also made some good moves to take that defense up to the next level. Your concern might have to be some hard cap choices in the future. How big of a hit did you take signing Samuel, Haynesworth and a top half first round pick? When do the contracts of some of those o-linmen like Mawae come up, and how about Kearse, Bullock and Harper? Your moves could give you a great season now, but what about 2 years season from now?
I agree with this guy and add something more:

What did you have to give up to move up to take Long? You had to certainly give up some draft picks either your 1st rounder or picks from the next years draft, which will hurt you down the road.

I think like the real NFL you can wheel and deal to have a great team for a year or two, but if your not careful after that 2 year window is gone you could be in Cap hell or not have any draft picks to bring in young talent.

OSFL
: Lake County Extreme- 2010 OSFL Champs
NCFA: WVU Mountaineers- As long as we beat Pitt...
BLB: Morgantown Mowhawks- Expansion Team
Old 08-13-2008, 01:06 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTitan
I'm agreeing with this. I took over the Chiefs and went 13-3 in my first year. To do that, I picked up Haynesworth, a good RG, Chris Long, Jeff Otah, a WR with 88 potential in the second, a CB with 87 potential in the second, and I got lucky with a WR with 90 potential in the third. WIth my second third I got a MLB with 88 potential who started at 79 overall. In addition, I got a UDFA LE with 85 potential to rotate with Tambi Hali, and a UDFA LT with 88 potential to develope behind my current LT, and an UDFA RB with 89 potential to back up Larry Johnson. I traded for Chris Gamble as well and got Trent Green in FA as my starter.
All this together propelled me to a 13-3 season. Then, I got the famous 83 draft class of Qbs. I didn't even trade up, figuring either Dane Morrow (Marino) or Kelly James (Jim Kelly) would fall to me. I took Morrow with the 28th pick, and Kelly was chosen with the 29th pick. Also, Leron James fell to me in the 4th. I then got an UDFA ROLB who is 80 overall and 88 potential, as well as another UDFA LT, who actually finished camp at 86 with 89 potential and supplanted my starter.

So in two drafts, I got my beastly RT, a beastly RE, a good rotation LE, two starting caliber WRs to go with Dwayne Bowe, a starting CB, a starting MLB, a back up MLB, a backup LT with great potential, s starting LT, my franchise QB, a future Franchise RB, a starting ROLB, and a few good backups at CB, S, C, and RT.

I mean, I've been getting lucky with the UDFAs so far, as well as not busting with any of my draft picks. But I also managed to get Haynesworth and my starting RG in FA. All of this and I'm 8 mil under the cap (though things got a little spotty my first year). And I have a projected 30 mil in cap space next year.

Titan, I would love to see how things go for you down the road. it sounds like you made a TON of moves. My guess would be that as those guys hit their potential, they will either get frustrated with their pay, or once they reach free agency they are gonna want you to show them the money.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:11 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchJones
Titan, I would love to see how things go for you down the road. it sounds like you made a TON of moves. My guess would be that as those guys hit their potential, they will either get frustrated with their pay, or once they reach free agency they are gonna want you to show them the money.
Well in my second draft I actually only had three picks, but managed to get Morrow and Leron James with the first two (wihtout trading). I also only have a 1st, a 3rd, a 6th, and a 7th up coming. But with how well I've been grabbing UFA, I don't think that will be a big deal. I am worried about holdouts, but most of the players I chose early have good intangibles. Plus I'm a Lone Wolf, so I have great negotiaitng skills.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »