Home

Replay Value??

This is a discussion on Replay Value?? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2008, 01:39 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Replay Value??

I noticed on the sample pdf of the Prima guide that the game seems to have pre-programmed all the draft classes (roughly 20,000 players). If this is true wouldn't this compromise replay value to an extent? For example if I know a superstar qb John Doe is drafted, every subsequent career I start, I start with the knowledge of which players will be stars.

Could someone please confirm/elaborate on this?

Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
MVP

Perceptor's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Replay Value??

No, because potential is just one factor which helps determine how the players evolve. The coaching, system that you run, and how often you play them factors into how the players will progress over time.

The potential is hard-coded, but how they actually end up is based on other factors.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by playball335
I noticed on the sample pdf of the Prima guide that the game seems to have pre-programmed all the draft classes (roughly 20,000 players). If this is true wouldn't this compromise replay value to an extent? For example if I know a superstar qb John Doe is drafted, every subsequent career I start, I start with the knowledge of which players will be stars.

Could someone please confirm/elaborate on this?

Thanks.
It IS true that this compromises replay value, but as the classes are almost completely randomized in terms of name, it will usually be difficult, if not impossible, to recognize which of the 60 classes you are dealing with in any given case.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
Rookie

The Classes may be randomized, but judging by the guide (see attachment) It appears we will know Jack English (John Elway?) will be a stud QB and Boar Jackson (Bo Jackson?) will be a monster RB.

So if Jack English is playing in 2008 in one career (and is a star) and I start another and in 2018 I see Jack English, I know he will be a great one.

I know certain factors, coaching philosophy, etc. will have some effect, but overall I would still expect him to be above average at worst.

I wish the players were completely randomized.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg future50.jpg (299.4 KB, 109 views)
Old 08-13-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by playball335
The Classes may be randomized, but judging by the guide (see attachment) It appears we will know Jack English (John Elway?) will be a stud QB and Boar Jackson (Bo Jackson?) will be a monster RB.

So if Jack English is playing in 2008 in one career (and is a star) and I start another and in 2018 I see Jack English, I know he will be a great one.

I know certain factors, coaching philosophy, etc. will have some effect, but overall I would still expect him to be above average at worst.

I wish the players were completely randomized.
The guys listed in that guide are the most promising prospects, which means prospects with the most potential. As Perceptor said, potential is only one of the variables that will determine how a guy's career turns out. So you may see Jack English become a HOF caliber player in your first career but turn out to be a total bust in another career.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2008, 03:05 PM   #6
Rookie

Makes sense.

Thank you all for your input.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:27 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 13

In a way, knowing some of the top potential players will make it more enjoyable long-term, since I'll be able to see how the players would react in different circumstances.

Compare it to real life. What if the Cardinals had drafted Tom Brady? What happens if the Falcons don't trade Brett Favre? Where is Ryan Leaf if they give him a year or two to learn?

Stuff like that.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:28 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

Plus, the future 50 won't cover every single draft. FOr example, Leron James, Javon jackson, and Patrick Boma are all in the English-Morrow-James draft class. Since you won't know until the start of the season which draft clas you will get, it becomes near impossible to get all of the players in the draft. Javon Jackson and English are both top 10 picks, maiing it difficult to get both. You can't really predict where Leron James and Boma will go, so unless you plan to reload the game whenever you dont get who you want, there's a good chance they get snapped up before you have a chance to grab them. And all the other names are random.
In the Leron James draft, I found a WR named J.R. Bayless.
Jerryd Bayless, JR Bayless?
I figured it was another special character, turned out he was a nobody.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »