Home

Just a few requests to the devs.

This is a discussion on Just a few requests to the devs. within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2008, 06:31 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 9
Just a few requests to the devs.

First I would like to say thank you for the first GUI football sim that has ever made me salivate and make me wish the kids would go to bed and get the F off the TV. You guys rock. I am going to make just a few humble request for the next one. I say the next one because I would not actually like to see this game become a yearly deal. I would be much more comfortable with a long development time for you guys, and hell I would even say that this could be one of those EA titles that can try out that "user pay-to-play" stuff EA is suggesting for updates.

Now I would ask that something be done about the game cam. I at this point usually just do the overhead but even that hurts a bit as is is not a wide enough camera to take in the whole field, like the overhead pics in the NFL. I understand that graphics are not what make a title like this, and it is not so bad that the game is bad, but it could be better.

The second item that I would love to see in the next version is quick packages that can be set, either through the playbook setting up the play, or through a clipboard option in the pregame planning. Like lets us say that you know you are facing some monster DBs next game, you normal would setup a couple of plays where the star WR would play from the slot, or that your catching RB would play the slot. I understand that you can still do this in the current game by roster adjustments, it is just a little clunky.

The third, this is probably my biggest grip, give us more control over the layout of the playbook. Allow us to select both the headings in the playbook (ie what they are called) as well as where the plays are placed. This allows for quicker play calls which then allows for all the great on the fly options that you have allowed us to do. Plus, since you allow some shifts why not allow the whole package, allow us to call in audibles. Isn't this why the QBs have the famous green dot helmets anyway.

Hopefully you guys can use the new madden engine next time and use there cool new formation audibles.

Anyway I love the game and I also appreciate the fact that you guys are on the boards. It seems that EA might finally be getting it again that the community actually will help you make a better, more profitable product if you simply give them the opportunity. Hopefully this type of relationship will be beneficial to us all.
GM of the KC Royals in the OS Arbitration Thread
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Just a few requests to the devs.

good post.

I agree.

great game, but we do need more control in the playbook area. The entire playbook/playcalling section of the game is not up to par and that is disappointing because it is one of the most important aspects of the game.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:19 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners44
good post.

I agree.

great game, but we do need more control in the playbook area. The entire playbook/playcalling section of the game is not up to par and that is disappointing because it is one of the most important aspects of the game.
Fair enough. Just to give you some background...

Our goal from the very start was to make the play creator a system that anybody could use. The systems I've personally seen in the past in football games have been pretty darn clunky and hard to use for most people. It might have been the ultimate for the coaching sim guru in all of us, but it missed the mark on the other 80% of the crowd. The system that Chris Staymates and company built from the ground up for Head Coach is actually pretty robust. Love being able to motion guys. Love lining them up pretty much anywhere on the field, even Arena Football style 10 yards deep! Love the depth chart option for every position. And on top of it all, it is very simple to use, which was a big design objective we think we achieved.

For us to get to where you think we should be, what game on the market can you point us towards, that has this robust play creator system?

We are always looking to improve our features!
Old 08-14-2008, 02:27 AM   #4
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny_Moore
Fair enough. Just to give you some background...

Our goal from the very start was to make the play creator a system that anybody could use. The systems I've personally seen in the past in football games have been pretty darn clunky and hard to use for most people. It might have been the ultimate for the coaching sim guru in all of us, but it missed the mark on the other 80% of the crowd. The system that Chris Staymates and company built from the ground up for Head Coach is actually pretty robust. Love being able to motion guys. Love lining them up pretty much anywhere on the field, even Arena Football style 10 yards deep! Love the depth chart option for every position. And on top of it all, it is very simple to use, which was a big design objective we think we achieved.

For us to get to where you think we should be, what game on the market can you point us towards, that has this robust play creator system?

We are always looking to improve our features!
Sierra Sports Front Page Football/Football Pro

Never has there been a play editor so powerful. I don't think I've seen a play I couldn't recreate in that game.

Right now, though, I'd be satisfied with a few dozen more routes. I think it really came up short there. I want to create the Montana-to-Taylor Superbowl play, but I can't because you don't have an fake-out-post. Hell, the mirror image of the Post-Corner route that IS in the game would suffice.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

Last edited by adembroski; 08-14-2008 at 02:31 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »