Home

Building Play Knowledge

This is a discussion on Building Play Knowledge within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Building Play Knowledge

After playing this game for a little while, this is something that I still haven't totally figured out. For example, one of the goals of my owner will be to get various veteran's play knowledge up to 25% by a certain time. So far I haven't been able to figure out how to do this effectively. When I just do gameplans for a certain play, it doesn't seem to build up these players' knowledge that quickly (and for some players almost none at all). Is there any way to target certain players' playbook knowledge besides the rookie focuses from the gameplans on the clipboard or just a strategy to build playbook knowledge more effectively?

Also, when I focus on one of the rookies in my gameplan and the practice results show like 5 different plays and %'s of learned, mastered, etc...are these percentages for just that rookie or the whole team?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #2
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Building Play Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85
After playing this game for a little while, this is something that I still haven't totally figured out. For example, one of the goals of my owner will be to get various veteran's play knowledge up to 25% by a certain time. So far I haven't been able to figure out how to do this effectively. When I just do gameplans for a certain play, it doesn't seem to build up these players' knowledge that quickly (and for some players almost none at all). Is there any way to target certain players' playbook knowledge besides the rookie focuses from the gameplans on the clipboard or just a strategy to build playbook knowledge more effectively?

Also, when I focus on one of the rookies in my gameplan and the practice results show like 5 different plays and %'s of learned, mastered, etc...are these percentages for just that rookie or the whole team?

unlike MADDEN, preseason matters in this game. the most effective way to have players learn the playbook is in an actual game.....Dont get caught up focusing on ONE player in the GAMEPLAN option in preseason, as you see it does very little compared to having your TEAM focus on a special play....Hope this helps

In practice recap, if you focus one player for that practice, the learned/mastered/unlearned is for that player.... When u focus on the team its for the overall team

Last edited by Jukeman; 08-14-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:03 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by juk34man
In practice recap, if you focus one player for that practice, the learned/mastered/unlearned is for that player.... When u focus on the team its for the overall team
See, I didn't read the guide so maybe this is stated there and I haven't done any tests to really look into this. But I was under the assumption that those changes affected the entire team. So the percentages were how many players total know that play at what level. And I figured it was just weighted to give more benefit to the rookie in question. I'll have to look closer.

Not sure I like the idea that choosing a rookie to focus on basically means the rest of the team gains zero benefit from the practice. Seems counter-productive. And conceptually it seems strange to break up a play into pieces like that.

When you look at a player card and see the knowledge breakdown, it just gives you where he stands (master/learned/unlearned) for each formation. It gives no information on a per-play breakdown.

Last edited by x1Blumpkin1x; 08-14-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1Blumpkin1x
See, I didn't read the guide so maybe this is stated there and I haven't done any tests to really look into this. But I was under the assumption that those changes affected the entire team. So the percentages were how many players total know that play at what level. And I figured it was just weighted to give more benefit to the rookie in question. I'll have to look closer.

Not sure I like the idea that choosing a rookie to focus on basically means the rest of the team gains zero benefit from the practice. Seems counter-productive. And conceptually it seems strange to break up a play into pieces like that.

When you look at a player card and see the knowledge breakdown, it just gives you where he stands (master/learned/unlearned) for each formation. It gives no information on a per-play breakdown.
I have the guide and was still under the impression that focusing on a specific player (like "train rookie X") would still train the team, but maybe not as fully...with the trade off of that player getting a boost. The guide is helpful, but it is still rather vague about specifics of certain features.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:27 PM   #5
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46

im pretty sure the rest of your team gain knowledge for just being ACTIVE for practice no matter wat you focus on except if you cancel practice all togather....im not sure about the whole thing tho, haven't played the game all day today spending some QT with madden
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
Pro

osubucksfan47's Arena

OVR: 10

I can never complete those goals...
Old 08-15-2008, 12:56 PM   #7
Rookie

Devias's Arena

OVR: 1

Those preseason learning/play knowledge goals I have found to be unreasonable. During my Colts preseason, I had THREE separate goals to get THREE rookies to 25% before September 3rd! By focusing on only one player, I could barely get ONE rookie to 20%!

It's just not possible, unless somehow I should be Building Play Knowledge for plays that somehow contain all 3 rookies? I don't see how this could happen, I mean focusing purely on one rookie (3-4 times a week) didn't even get him past 20%.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:43 PM   #8
Rookie

BobbyZ23's Arena

OVR: 4

Don't forget that each player has a rating for 'learning ability'. If you have a rookie that's dumb as a rock, then no amount of training is going to help him learn the play book. So when trying to complete pre-season goals, try to focus on the smarter players.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »