Home

Anyone played 360 & PS3 version?

This is a discussion on Anyone played 360 & PS3 version? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2008, 03:50 PM   #1
All Star

crques's Arena

OVR: 36
Anyone played 360 & PS3 version?

Which one do you prefer? I'm debating on which system to get it for. It appears that Madden and NCAA are basically the same on both systems so I was wondering if Head Coach is like that too? Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2008, 05:00 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Anyone played 360 & PS3 version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crques
Which one do you prefer? I'm debating on which system to get it for. It appears that Madden and NCAA are basically the same on both systems so I was wondering if Head Coach is like that too? Thanks.
Well if history shows us anything it's that the 360 usually outperforms the PS3 version of games. That's not me being a fanboy, that's fact. That doesn't mean that the 360 version of HC performs better but if I had the choice I'd go for the 360 version.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:05 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by casvdry
Well if history shows us anything it's that the 360 usually outperforms the PS3 version of games. That's not me being a fanboy, that's fact. That doesn't mean that the 360 version of HC performs better but if I had the choice I'd go for the 360 version.
I think this is generally accepted. I have both systems, and bought HC for PS3 only because I have had terrible experience with games for the 360 freezing on me (particularly EA games).

I only buy games for the PS3 now, but not because of performance. Only because of the freezing issues.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:07 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by casvdry
I disagree with your broad generalization as recent games are pretty much on par performance wise. Yes there are very slight graphical advantages to the 360 (some claim better colors but that's a judgement call, the PS3 is more prone to jaggies though) but the 360 "outperforming" the PS3 is no longer a consistent reality.

That being said, Head Coach is built around Madden 08 which was pretty much the pinnacle of the era when the 360 versions were much smoother than their 360 counterparts and in this case it shows.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:43 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
I disagree with your broad generalization as recent games are pretty much on par performance wise. Yes there are very slight graphical advantages to the 360 (some claim better colors but that's a judgement call, the PS3 is more prone to jaggies though) but the 360 "outperforming" the PS3 is no longer a consistent reality.

That being said, Head Coach is built around Madden 08 which was pretty much the pinnacle of the era when the 360 versions were much smoother than their 360 counterparts and in this case it shows.
The reason the 360 is better than the PS3 is because game companies use the 360 as it's base(simply came out 1st) and then port to other consoles. The 360 is simply easier to program for and the PS3 harder. That is about to change because more of them have learned that using PS3 as the base platform and then porting reduces the headaches. The PS3 has infinite possibilities with the blue-ray drive and power of the architecture in dealing with amount of information of today's games. Where as the xbox360 has a basic DVDrom drive limitations.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2008, 06:00 PM   #6
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58

As mercalnd mentioned, the 360 version will be better because they used Madden 08 as the game play engine and back in 08 the 360 version was already running at a smoother rate compared to the PS3.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #7
Rookie

Jeff_Downey's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crques
Rather than debate which system is better, I thought I'd actually answer your question.

Firstly, EA's recent offerings are all pretty close on both systems. Madden, NCAA and NASCAR are all nearly identical in terms of performance.

However, that's painfully NOT the case with Head Coach 09. I originally ordered the CE on the PS3, as I wanted free online play, and the PS3's much simpler way of transferring non-official roster updates. But, I exchanges the PS3 version for the 360 version last night.

The PS3 version locks up frequently, usually during transitions from your "home" city to the displaying of the opponent's city for away games. And this isn't unique to my PS3, as I tried it in another system and had the same problem.

The biggest difference though is in performance. When simulating actions, the 360 outperforms the PS3 easily 3 to 1. This is REALLY noticeable if you are setting out to simulate a season. With the 360 it takes a while. But, with the PS3 it takes a LONG time.

There is also a hesitation when making a selection with the PS3 that doesn't exist with the 360. When I say selection, I mean any action on the clipboard. With the PS3, you make the selection, have a slight pause, and then see the next screen. With the 360, it's instantaneous.

The easiest difference to spot right away is the on-field performance during a game. The PS3 is choppy washed out, and has the ever present hesitation. With the 360, the on-field action is smooth and more graphically appealing.

Believe me, there is a BIG difference between the systems for this game. You'll be MUCH happier with the 360 version.

BTW, before anyone thinks I'm knocking the game, I love it. Other than glancing at Madden, I haven't played it, while I've played hours of Head Coach.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:07 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Downey
Rather than debate which system is better, I thought I'd actually answer your question.

Firstly, EA's recent offerings are all pretty close on both systems. Madden, NCAA and NASCAR are all nearly identical in terms of performance.

However, that's painfully NOT the case with Head Coach 09. I originally ordered the CE on the PS3, as I wanted free online play, and the PS3's much simpler way of transferring non-official roster updates. But, I exchanges the PS3 version for the 360 version last night.

The PS3 version locks up frequently, usually during transitions from your "home" city to the displaying of the opponent's city for away games. And this isn't unique to my PS3, as I tried it in another system and had the same problem.

The biggest difference though is in performance. When simulating actions, the 360 outperforms the PS3 easily 3 to 1. This is REALLY noticeable if you are setting out to simulate a season. With the 360 it takes a while. But, with the PS3 it takes a LONG time.

There is also a hesitation when making a selection with the PS3 that doesn't exist with the 360. When I say selection, I mean any action on the clipboard. With the PS3, you make the selection, have a slight pause, and then see the next screen. With the 360, it's instantaneous.

The easiest difference to spot right away is the on-field performance during a game. The PS3 is choppy washed out, and has the ever present hesitation. With the 360, the on-field action is smooth and more graphically appealing.

Believe me, there is a BIG difference between the systems for this game. You'll be MUCH happier with the 360 version.

BTW, before anyone thinks I'm knocking the game, I love it. Other than glancing at Madden, I haven't played it, while I've played hours of Head Coach.
Boy, that's really disappointing. For those of us who only own PS3's, are we screwed?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »