Home

Ambition skill worth the price?

This is a discussion on Ambition skill worth the price? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 14
Ambition skill worth the price?

Is it worth buying the ambition skill? I calculated about 60% to 70% (those I need) of the special skills points that total to 225,000 and I only save 33,750. Since the 20,000 points that I have to pay is not exactly part of the savings, I have to subtract it from the 33,750. In other words, I only save 13,750 points on my investment. The guide only price ambition skills to 10,000 points but someone probably decided to double the price at the last moment or the guide made a typo.

My beef about that price of the special skill points is that it will hurt me in the first 5 years (since I have to breakeven on those points I just invested) maybe more. I mean how much points can you accumulate in one season anyway. I only accumulated 20,000 points on my first season (I simmed majority of those games). And by the time I can start enjoying the benefits of the ambition skill, I probably only have 5 years or less to enjoy it.

In my oipnion, I don't think it is worth buying this skill. What do you guys think?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 25
Re: Ambition skill worth the price?

you kinda answered your own question

at first try with the game.. like my VERY first ever coach.. i got ambition cuz well.. i didnt know better and how game-mechanics worked

now i kinda got a feel for it.. and to sacrifice 20,000 points at the beginning that doesnt help your team at all.. when you're a struggling coach

is too steep a price to pay, imnho
Old 08-16-2008, 03:22 PM   #3
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16

I got it because I feel it's a skill that pays for itself over the long-haul. Thanks to 'Ambition' I was able to get another QB developement special skill right off the bat...
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:06 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLaren
I got it because I feel it's a skill that pays for itself over the long-haul. Thanks to 'Ambition' I was able to get another QB developement special skill right off the bat...
that's the tradeoff isn't it..?

you do realize for 20k..

you couldve gotten that same special skill right off the bat and probably the next 2 or 3 ? maybe even completing that line..

RIGHT OFF THE BAT?

that's what i mean... when we begin our carreers, imnho, we need all the help we can get

me personally.. I go right to completing

LEADERSHIP

i think it's like,
Charisma -> Leadership, total points 25k

i almost always get that right off the bat
Old 08-16-2008, 07:22 PM   #5
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomriddle
that's the tradeoff isn't it..?

you do realize for 20k..

you couldve gotten that same special skill right off the bat and probably the next 2 or 3 ? maybe even completing that line..

RIGHT OFF THE BAT?

that's what i mean... when we begin our carreers, imnho, we need all the help we can get

me personally.. I go right to completing

LEADERSHIP

i think it's like,
Charisma -> Leadership, total points 25k

i almost always get that right off the bat
My point is that I was still able to get everything that I -needed- to get despite spending points on 'Ambition'. Then when I get enough skill points to spend them on special skills that I -want-, they'll be 15% cheaper thanks to 'Ambition'.

Maybe it's not worth it to you, but it's worth it for what I'm trying to do...
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2008, 09:56 PM   #6
Pro

Greenevol's Arena

OVR: 7

FWIW, the primaguide states that ambition is one of the best purchases.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:03 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenevol
But the prima guide also have the ambition price points to 10,000. At 10,000 points, that skill is price is fine. But if you are only getting 20,000 points a season, the price of that skill is worth a season. If this game allows us to play the career mode all the way to 30 to 40 years, 20,000 is reasonable. But 15 years, there is very little long term left in there.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:47 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah
But the prima guide also have the ambition price points to 10,000. At 10,000 points, that skill is price is fine. But if you are only getting 20,000 points a season, the price of that skill is worth a season. If this game allows us to play the career mode all the way to 30 to 40 years, 20,000 is reasonable. But 15 years, there is very little long term left in there.
my point EXACTLY

Ambition is a skill to get AFTER you've established yourself already.. like in your 2nd season or something

how anyone can justify spending 20,000 points in a skill that does NOTHING to help you establish yourself as a new coach is..

I myself think it's a mistake.. heck, personally speaking.. i know how bad of a choice Ambition is to new starting head coaches.. eventually though.. it's one of the best

I myself might get it around the 2nd season cuz I can see the points building up

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »