Home

Old 08-17-2008, 01:12 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: Addicted!!

It really is a solid title. There are a few bugs, glitches and gameplay annoyances carried over from Madden, but those just make up a small part of the game. The rest is brilliant. They have done a remarkable job with this game, even if you don't compare it to the HC 06 train wreck.

I am having a lot of fun building my team up. Now that I have just gotten to the regular season for the first time I am already seeing new things, such as so many more gameplan options. It is weird how the games themselves seem to go by faster than playing in Madden. I am sucked into watching what my people are doing. So much so I sometimes forget to get involved and make adjustments.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:38 AM   #10
MVP

PacMan3000's Arena

OVR: 11

Question...it sounds like the off-season would be a blast to do...but what about the games themselves? It seems like it would be a bit boring to always watch what happens...how does it work? You call the plays and then watch the computer duke it out? You create your own plays and then watch the game execute it? It sounds like it could either be quite cool, or a bit boring and repetitive.

And how's the audio during games? Since your a coach, I assume there is zero commentary?

And ask for the offseason, how deep is it? I'm just trying to figure out if it's soemthing where the off-season can take a week, or is it like in Madden where you can bang it out in a couple hours if you wanted to?

I'm a big franchise guy, but franchise is screwy in Madden 09, and there are aspects of the game that just make it unenjoyable for me. At the same time, I like sim type games, and Head Coach seems like it could be interesting...but I'm just trying to figure out how fun WATCHING 16+ games a season would be (among my other questions).

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:00 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan3000
Question...it sounds like the off-season would be a blast to do...but what about the games themselves? It seems like it would be a bit boring to always watch what happens...how does it work? You call the plays and then watch the computer duke it out? You create your own plays and then watch the game execute it? It sounds like it could either be quite cool, or a bit boring and repetitive.

And how's the audio during games? Since your a coach, I assume there is zero commentary?

And ask for the offseason, how deep is it? I'm just trying to figure out if it's soemthing where the off-season can take a week, or is it like in Madden where you can bang it out in a couple hours if you wanted to?

I'm a big franchise guy, but franchise is screwy in Madden 09, and there are aspects of the game that just make it unenjoyable for me. At the same time, I like sim type games, and Head Coach seems like it could be interesting...but I'm just trying to figure out how fun WATCHING 16+ games a season would be (among my other questions).

Thanks.
Is it boring watching the Browns on TV when you don't control them? This game is a franchise nuts dream come true. Who knew it could be so fun to call a play and watch your players on the field try to execute it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2008, 02:05 AM   #12
MVP

PacMan3000's Arena

I see what you're getting at, though it's fundamentally different to root for your team in real life, and watch a CPU vs CPU game in an EA sports presentation and atmosphere-less product. That's why I asked because I am curious to know.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:42 AM   #13
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan3000
I see what you're getting at, though it's fundamentally different to root for your team in real life, and watch a CPU vs CPU game in an EA sports presentation and atmosphere-less product. That's why I asked because I am curious to know.
Myself, I absolutely love the game. In fact I have yet to even put in madden to even play it. Plus if you don't like watching the game (1hr) you could always use the supersim feature (20min).
Old 08-17-2008, 02:51 AM   #14
MVP

PacMan3000's Arena

Thanks for the info.

So, what kinds of things are you doing in the game? Is it strictly play calling and watching to see if you can execute correctly? Are you giving your team speeches? At halftime, do you make adjustments?

And what goes into the game preparation and important decision making? Can you choose to play injured players? Can you turn over play calling duties to your coordinators?
Old 08-17-2008, 09:23 AM   #15
Pro

OVR: 9

In the game you are for the most part doing play calling, or you can delegate that to the coordinators. You can also make adjustments to plays and go to the play creator in game so you can tweak things such as progression or make entirely new plays on the fly. There are no speeches, there is no media interaction in this version, but the devs have stated that is something for the future if another version is made.

When it comes to game planning, you have the ability to choose a gameplan for each day of practice leading up to a game. You can choose to focus on your own players, certain aspects of your game (blitz, runs, etc) or focus on stopping certain plays of players of your opponent. You can then make use of these gameplans in the game itself, and they will provide a boost to the play when you use them. This is another part of game management while watching it play out. Training camp has similar gameplan options, but they are geared towards improving your team and not preparing for a specific opponent.

The off season stuff is great, and deep. They have pretty much everything, FA, RFA, all star game, combine, pro days, individual workouts. The trade system is so much better than Madden. The draft is as well, the draft really is a lot of fun and you will see a ton of moves on draft day. Being that the game moves in real time, it flows really nice. Not having a weekly "turn" like we are used to in Madden and NCAA is a breath of fresh air. Also, the clipboard interface is slick.

The game isn't perfect, but it is a great game if you are into franchise. That is what kills Madden for me. Sure, there are a couple of annoyances on the field, but it is the Madden engine so they can be expected. However, the devs really tweaked the gameplay so it is improved over Madden and the stats are much better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2008, 10:02 AM   #16
MVP

OVR: 10

I plugged the game into my XBox for the very first time at 7:30 pm last night. I didn't quit playing until 1: 30 am.

Addictive is an understatement.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »