Home

Playbook Knowledge?

This is a discussion on Playbook Knowledge? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2008, 09:21 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22
Playbook Knowledge?

Taking an example from the Prima Guide...

4-3 Under 2

BEFOREAFTER
MASTERED18%24%
LEARNED22%16%
UNLEARNED60%60%

Am I to understand that this means after my practice, only 40% of my defense has either LEARNED or MASTERED 4-3 Under 2? It also looks like after the practice no new players LEARNED the play but some of the players who had already LEARNED the play have now MASTERED the play. Am I correct?

Also, do you LEARN plays that were previously UNLEARNED by running them in-game? I'd think that if you ran UNLEARNED plays in game you'd not have success thus not LEARN them. It's a bit more confusing than the original head coach where you actually ran the plays in practice and could do more than one in a particular practice. I think I like the aspect though that it'll take time to develop a mastery of your plays.

Oh, one last thing, can I select the plays I want my guys to LEARN/MASTER or will it just be the plays that are available when your practice options are displayed?

Thanks,

NoleFan

Last edited by NoleFan; 08-17-2008 at 09:24 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2008, 10:33 AM   #2
MVP

Tweeg's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Playbook Knowledge?

I think you are exactly right. Nobody new learned the play, but some guys have upgraded their knowledge to mastering the play.

Yes I think you do learn plays while running them in game. That's what makes preseason so important. You need to get some playing time for your FAs and people that don't know your playbook yet.

As for the last part I think you are stuck choosing from the plays it shows you in practice. I think that is to prevent you from overdoing one play and exploiting it as a Madden type 'money play'. Advancing plays to Money play status in the old HC was a big problem.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:30 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 10

Also, you got to look at it from your dept chart. Most of the snaps go to the #1 and #2 units....so most of the players on down don't get a chance to get the snaps.

Maybe a work around is to change your dept chart at the first of the week of practice to see if it changes anything. I might give this a shot.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
Rookie

Devias's Arena

OVR: 1

Follow up question that's kind of related:

Is there a way to load up an individual player and check to see if he's learned a particular play? I'm curious if Free Agents or Traded players take play knowledge with them when they join your team.. ie I just signed Lynch, did he arrived Unlearned with all my plays?

I don't think there's any way to check their Learned status before you get into negotiations with them. If I had to choose between a 76 and a 77 player, I would be more likely to sign the 76 player if he had more experience with my playbook, but I don't think there's a way to check this..
Old 08-17-2008, 01:24 PM   #5
Pro

xfactor9600's Arena

OVR: 9

I know there is a screen somewhere that tells you how familiar each player is with the playbook. But for the life of me i Can't remember where it is in the game.

-Byron Larkn-
During Xavier's Defeat of #1 St. Joe's in the 2004 A-10 Tournament.

Hawkeye Hideout!
Xavier Hoops!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2008, 02:35 PM   #6
NFL Head Coach '09 Lead Programmer

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan
Taking an example from the Prima Guide...

4-3 Under 2

BEFOREAFTER
MASTERED18%24%
LEARNED22%16%
UNLEARNED60%60%

Am I to understand that this means after my practice, only 40% of my defense has either LEARNED or MASTERED 4-3 Under 2? It also looks like after the practice no new players LEARNED the play but some of the players who had already LEARNED the play have now MASTERED the play. Am I correct?

Also, do you LEARN plays that were previously UNLEARNED by running them in-game? I'd think that if you ran UNLEARNED plays in game you'd not have success thus not LEARN them. It's a bit more confusing than the original head coach where you actually ran the plays in practice and could do more than one in a particular practice. I think I like the aspect though that it'll take time to develop a mastery of your plays.

Oh, one last thing, can I select the plays I want my guys to LEARN/MASTER or will it just be the plays that are available when your practice options are displayed?

Thanks,

NoleFan
In the example you gave, it means 6% of your team went from "learned" to "mastered" for that play. The number of "learned", "unlearned", and "mastered" should always add up to 100%.

Note that these numbers include your entire team, not just your first string, so 40% learned is pretty solid. Once a player masters a play during practice, he will automatically be subbed out so another player can get some reps.

Players do learn during the game. In fact, they should learn at a greater rate in the game vs. practice. You can experiment with this by running the same play over and over again and checking the knowledge meter each time.

The options displayed in the gameplan selection screen are based on the plays that your team has not learned yet. You can get new options by backing out of the screen and re-entering it.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:41 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Bekins
In the example you gave, it means 6% of your team went from "learned" to "mastered" for that play. The number of "learned", "unlearned", and "mastered" should always add up to 100%.

Note that these numbers include your entire team, not just your first string, so 40% learned is pretty solid. Once a player masters a play during practice, he will automatically be subbed out so another player can get some reps.

Players do learn during the game. In fact, they should learn at a greater rate in the game vs. practice. You can experiment with this by running the same play over and over again and checking the knowledge meter each time.

The options displayed in the gameplan selection screen are based on the plays that your team has not learned yet. You can get new options by backing out of the screen and re-entering it.
Dan,

You'll never fully understand how appreciative I am for the response and how appreciative we all are to have you and the rest of team here.

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2008, 02:57 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Bekins

automatically subbed out so others can get the reps?
SWEET!

I love the details y'all thought of and put in this game, seriously worthy franchise game! SERIOUSLY WORTHY!

as for the in-game-vs-practice being worth more.. i realized that after my 1st preseason game

that's why i keep telling peeps keep playing, don't just try to master everything for your 1st preseason game cuz that ain't realistic at all.. gotta progress thru the season and see how your team develops!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »