Home

I may be the worst Cap manager ever.

This is a discussion on I may be the worst Cap manager ever. within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2008, 01:15 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: I may be the worst Cap manager ever.

The way I figured it, don't sign anyone below 80 to a new contract, unless it's a rookie with high learning and high potential.

Any crappy player can be replaced by an equally crappy player for less money. Look to fill the back-up voids with cheap UDFAs and camp invites.

This past offseason, I got a FS with 87 potiental and 85 learning, a ILB with 87 potiential and 86 learning and some other good players, they are all 1 year less than 500k contracts because they are UDFAs. When they resign, they'll be cheap contracts too.

I traded down in the draft, picked up LeRon James in the 2nd (probably could have gotten him a round later, but I knew how great he is so I took him there), got an okay DE, picked up a stud RG (from Auburn) in the 3rd, drafted a stud DT in the 4th (has 95 potiential and very high learning, 99 str too). I picked up a sleeper at QB, he's got 94 potiential and 90 learning I think (J. Scott I think his name is, and I think it stays that way) in the 5th, picked up another sleeper LOLB in the 6th.

You;'ll always have to give up a high ovr player, otherwise you'll bust under the cap. This offseason I have to let Faneca go, I could have franchise tagged him, but I chose to tag Favre instead. (could not sign Farve to a longer contract, and I did not know if he'd retire)

Use FA for no more than 3 players, and don't sign back-ups, not worth it. Back-ups will be around during the season, and you'll get some camp invitees that are the same players, but for much cheaper.

Also when you go to resign players, try not to give the guy the Start 16 games incentive, it's just free money you are giving away. Do not sign low round rookies with a signing bonus, if they are crappy players, you'll get hit the a cap penalty.

Don't release players that won't save you money but instead eat of more of the cap. I'm stuck with the contracts of Damien Woody and Kris Jenkins, and Thomas Jones even though Jenkins is always injuried and I found a better player at each position. So instead I released Eric Barton, Chris Baker, David Bowens, and didn't resign any backups. I also dumped Mike Nugent and picked up Alexis Serna in FA (97 kpw, and has 92 or so potiential)

Last edited by theanalogkid; 08-18-2008 at 01:30 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »