Home

Feature Breakdown: Contracts and Re-Signing Players

This is a discussion on Feature Breakdown: Contracts and Re-Signing Players within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2008, 01:21 PM   #1
NFL Head Coach '09 Lead Designer

OVR: 18
Feature Breakdown: Contracts and Re-Signing Players

Ok, Let me see if I can provide some clarity on the contract questions. We decided to design contract talks a little bit differently in Head Coach '09, adding incentives and being able to re-negotiate deals before the season is over. Some things to remember:
  • Players will decide when they want to re-do their deals. This includes players who think they are underpaid who want a new deal 2-3 years before their new deal is done. Players in the final year of their deals will start coming up sometime in September to start re-doing deals.
  • The Player Status screen will give you a lot of insight into what a player is thinking.
  • Personalities play a huge part in negotiating contracts. Guys who are tough to deal with can walk away from negotiations. IMPORTANT: Every time a player walks away from negotiations, there is a chance (based on personality type) that he will refuse to resign and he won't be back with the team. At that point, you can trade him or use the franchise tag on him at the end of the season. That's all you can do.
  • This may be common knowledge, but important. When negotiating, try to get a player to accept the contract with the smallest signing bonus and incentives without letting him walk. That will help keep you out of cap trouble if you have to cut the player.
  • Incentives are applied to next year's cap if they are met. We simplified incentives vs. how they work in real life.
One screen you need to check a lot is the player status screen. I'll be doing a feature breakdown soon on the player status screen since it drives a lot of what happens in the game.

Hope this helped!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2008, 01:27 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Feature Breakdown: Contracts and Re-Signing Players

So I guess my rookie backup of backups just think they're worth 7m a year after 1 year of no playing when the starter makes 3m? Or is it just my GM stinks? Or do they have the no clue about money personality?
Old 08-18-2008, 01:28 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 9

Thanks for some detailed info. How often is the Player status screen updated? Is that a daily thing?
Old 08-18-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
NFL Head Coach '09 Lead Designer

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by linthead4504
So I guess my rookie backup of backups just think they're worth 7m a year after 1 year of no playing when the starter makes 3m? Or is it just my GM stinks? Or do they have the no clue about money personality?
I'm pretty sure that's a bug we're looking into.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:35 PM   #5
Rookie

I'm working up my GM's negotiation ability, how much of an effect does that have on contract negotiations?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2008, 01:37 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Looman
I'm pretty sure that's a bug we're looking into.

Thanks Josh... as of now all I do is let them go and resign them in FA... would be nice to not have to compete for backups though because they think they're worth so much.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:38 PM   #7
MVP

Oh man I thought my incentives were on the current years cap, time for me to see who is getting incentives and bench them or I will be in trouble!
Old 08-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauler97
Oh man I thought my incentives were on the current years cap, time for me to see who is getting incentives and bench them or I will be in trouble!
I have to do the same thing, lol. I made use of incentives to keep other monies down. I believe the devs stated that the players don't know about incentives relative to playing time. So they won't get pissed you bench them just to avoid an incentive.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »