Home

Feature Breakdown: Fumbles

This is a discussion on Feature Breakdown: Fumbles within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2008, 03:28 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: Feature Breakdown: Fumbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1Blumpkin1x
I just have to say that your thread title made me laugh out loud and the person in the cube next to me inquired what was so funny.
Glad I could provide you with some laughter during the dreaded Mondays.

Subbing in/out at 80% sounds like it could be a work around, but its a shame that I will need to take my best player off the field and leave crucial third down situations to my backup solely to avoid a fumble.

If fatigue is the factor, I could understand subbing in/out at 60%.

But 80% for a guy with a 94 carry and Head Coach Special Skill that increases the running back's effectiveness in holding onto the ball seems absurd.

Oh well, it's only fitting that we live in an absurd world and the video games that we play to escape that absurdity should contain it as well.

I just would like an official statement from the developers regarding what the cause is, before we all jump on the fatigue bandwagon.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:41 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablueduck
Are you guys subbing in/out your HB's every 2nd or 3rd play? I don't put Barber in unless he's at at least 80% fatigue, usually when I see a fumble its because he's been in the last 4 plays or more and I forgot to sub him out. If I rotate my number 2 in I don't see nearly that many fumbles, maybe 1-2 every other game, from the HB anyway.
My RB's have equal amout of carries between the 2. I also set it so my RB come out when a moderate fatigue sets in.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:53 PM   #11
MVP

I bet there are other ratings that fit into this equation as well. For instance, vision, agility, or elusiveness. Almost every time one of my guys fumbles it's because he got hammered by a defender. Maybe if you have guys who avoid those hits better, you fumble less?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2008, 03:54 PM   #12
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16

I have to agree that fumbles occur more often in this game than they do for the NFL average. It's wierd because I'll have some games where there's maybe one fumble, then I'll have games where there's like five.

I think the excessive amount of fumbles are caused by a combination of fatigue and the 'Force the HB to fumble' gameplan; a gameplan that should be removed from the game in my opinion.

The only work-around I've been experimenting with is playing with 6 minute qtrs to reduce the number of opportunities that the HB's have to fumble the ball. Not an ideal way to approach the game, but I don't want to win another game by returning three fumbles for touchdowns...
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.

Last edited by DLaren; 08-18-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:59 PM   #13
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLaren
but I don't want to win another game by scoring three TD's off fumble recoveries...
Hmm, interesting.

So you are the one in your games causing the offense to fumble constantly, not the CPU?

Do you utilize the 'Force the HB to Fumble' game plan? If not, what team are you using?
Old 08-18-2008, 04:04 PM   #14
NFL Head Coach '09 Lead Designer

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossfan8480
I love this game.

Except for one thing. Fumbles.

I would greatly appreciate it if Josh, or any one of the developers, could provide some insight on how fumbles work in the in-game simulation engine.

I'm currently using the Minnesota Vikings in Career Mode and have played eight games already.

Except for one game, Adrian Peterson averages two fumbles lost a game.

His carry rating is listed as a 94.

I have purchased the Special Skill for my Head Coach which increases the ball carrier's effectiveness in holding on to the ball.

I have gone multiple games of running plays that Adrian Peterson has mastered.

He still had two fumbles.

I would love to understand what is going on here to prevent this from further ruining my chances at ever winning a game. When you combine this with Tarvaris Jackson's instinct to run the ball and then get smashed by the linebackers every so often, causing even more fumbles, it becomes near impossible to amount any offense and win the game.

Thank you.
Good one.

A lot of things are taken into account fumbles. Running Style, Carry Rating, Weather, Impact of the hit, Animation playing, Fatigue, Gameplan, etc..

Btw...Chris is looking into this issue to see if he can find out what is causing so many fumbles.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:06 PM   #15
Pro

OVR: 9

I didn't realize weather actually had an effect. That would explain why my highest number of fumbles was during a nasty rain storm.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2008, 04:06 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 7

Cool thanks Josh. If you had to guess what do you think the possibility of getting a patch for the game would be percentage wise? 50%? 75%?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »