Home

What we'd like to see if there are future releases of HC

This is a discussion on What we'd like to see if there are future releases of HC within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Would you rather have a new release every year or update via patches you pay for?
New Release every year ala Madden 35 37.63%
Patch every 6 months (maybe $9.99 to $19.99?) to a year with a New Release every few years 58 62.37%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-16-2008, 09:19 PM   #73
MVP

shnuskis's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: What we'd like to see if there are future releases of HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglescrzy
instead of having "generic" depth chart positions(qb, rb, wr, de, dt, etc) with each having a set philosophy, id like to suggest what is imo a better way for the future HC, and these are using my prefrences

1st and long DE:balanced
2nd and long DE:undersized speed
2nd and medium DE:balanced
2nd and short DE:run stopping
3rd and long DE:undersized speed
3rd and medium DE:undersized speed
3rd and short DE:run stopping

this could go on for most postions(like rb,wr, de,dt, lb,and db) and each situation would have its own order

this is from my other post "depth chart/team philosophy suggestions"
I was thinking along the same lines as you but came up with a different way to impliment it.

WR1:
WR2:
WR3:
WR4:
WR5:

RB1:
RB2:
RB3:
ETC....

I like to have some speed receivers, a big receiver, and even a blocking receiver. I like a well rounded RB1, a speedy RB2, and a power running RB3. Then I can used different packages and exploit different defenses.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:17 AM   #74
Rookie

OVR: 3

I finally won the superbowl and thought to myself "now what?" I decided that maybe the next couple seasons I would try to put together the most dominant defense the league has ever seen. And then thought... wouldn't it be nice to have simple comparable stats or profiles at the end of the year to gauge your progress against other legendary teams and dynasties.

awesome game. please keep it up.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:17 AM   #75
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnuskis
I was thinking along the same lines as you but came up with a different way to impliment it.

WR1:
WR2:
WR3:
WR4:
WR5:

RB1:
RB2:
RB3:
ETC....

I like to have some speed receivers, a big receiver, and even a blocking receiver. I like a well rounded RB1, a speedy RB2, and a power running RB3. Then I can used different packages and exploit different defenses.
yes this is something i was thinking as well

as it is, its tough to have the thunder and lightening RB combo, unless you switch your philosophies back and forth between power and speed backs

and while i want route running WR1 and 2, i want a speedy #3

Also, and im sure this has been mentioned, but formation depth charts. Its frustrating to have to miss the first 3 defensive plays every game while I put my big 3-4 rushing OLBs in at nickle/dime DE and meanwhile my bonehead DC is calling safety blitzes (and I am not a fan!)

I love sloeyEZs newspaper idea. I always ignored it in games like NCAA (what do I care what the WAC is upto?) but its really needed for a game like this instead of scouring the injury report every week checking to see if big name guys are injured for the season (something i actually do), stuff like that.

Are there draft grades post-draft? I just went through my first one last night, and it would be nice to see various teams ranked... even though nobody knows how they will all really turn out its a pretty common thing after every draft today. Would be nice to see next year if it isnt already in the game.

Last edited by MeSlayer; 09-17-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2008, 11:45 AM   #76
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSlayer
yes this is something i was thinking as well

as it is, its tough to have the thunder and lightening RB combo, unless you switch your philosophies back and forth between power and speed backs

and while i want route running WR1 and 2, i want a speedy #3

Also, and im sure this has been mentioned, but formation depth charts. Its frustrating to have to miss the first 3 defensive plays every game while I put my big 3-4 rushing OLBs in at nickle/dime DE and meanwhile my bonehead DC is calling safety blitzes (and I am not a fan!)

I love sloeyEZs newspaper idea. I always ignored it in games like NCAA (what do I care what the WAC is upto?) but its really needed for a game like this instead of scouring the injury report every week checking to see if big name guys are injured for the season (something i actually do), stuff like that.

Are there draft grades post-draft? I just went through my first one last night, and it would be nice to see various teams ranked... even though nobody knows how they will all really turn out its a pretty common thing after every draft today. Would be nice to see next year if it isnt already in the game.
Everyone does realize that position philosophies don't actually have a tangible effect on your players, right? It is just a measuring tool for the OVR grade to change a few points so that you could at a glance know that RB A would is more the type of RB you're looking for than RB B. But to be honest, I have my own way of measuring my players so positional philosophies are not that much of a benefit to me. I very often go with lower OVR scores for starters because they are better in the key attributes I look at for each position.

So, just remember, you wouldn't have to switch philosophies back and forth if you wanted the Dunn & Alstott, Thunder & Lightning backfield, or thunder & lightning HBs.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:57 AM   #77
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloeyEZ
Everyone does realize that position philosophies don't actually have a tangible effect on your players, right? It is just a measuring tool for the OVR grade to change a few points so that you could at a glance know that RB A would is more the type of RB you're looking for than RB B. But to be honest, I have my own way of measuring my players so positional philosophies are not that much of a benefit to me. I very often go with lower OVR scores for starters because they are better in the key attributes I look at for each position.

So, just remember, you wouldn't have to switch philosophies back and forth if you wanted the Dunn & Alstott, Thunder & Lightning backfield, or thunder & lightning HBs.
Ya I understand that, BUT (i might be wrong) im pretty sure positional philosophies also play a part in other things too, like who your GM invites to camp (when I was playing as the titans I had speed qb/WR as my philosophy and thats what got invited to camp)

And yes, if you break it down that hard and ignore OVR in favor of the ratings in general, its not a problem. But remember the screen (team plan? team roadmap?) where it lists each position (such as HB1 HB2) and suggests who would be best out of available players for that position? Thats where I'm talking about having to switch between philosophies in order for them to recommend what you happen to be looking for. And it just seems unrealistic/wrong to be switching "philosophies" multiple times in the middle of the season, though I understand its merely a game mechanic for filtering ratings.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:21 PM   #78
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSlayer
Ya I understand that, BUT (i might be wrong) im pretty sure positional philosophies also play a part in other things too, like who your GM invites to camp (when I was playing as the titans I had speed qb/WR as my philosophy and thats what got invited to camp)

And yes, if you break it down that hard and ignore OVR in favor of the ratings in general, its not a problem. But remember the screen (team plan? team roadmap?) where it lists each position (such as HB1 HB2) and suggests who would be best out of available players for that position? Thats where I'm talking about having to switch between philosophies in order for them to recommend what you happen to be looking for. And it just seems unrealistic/wrong to be switching "philosophies" multiple times in the middle of the season, though I understand its merely a game mechanic for filtering ratings.

True, you're absolutely right, it does affect those different areas. Good point. Actually, I hadn't thought of the training camp invites...I suppose it would affect those also. Maybe one of the devs will chime in.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:44 AM   #79
Rookie

CurlyJefferson's Arena

OVR: 2

There are a ton of great ideas in here, and I would like to see most of them implemented, although I will say that I hope I never have to watch my team practice again. I hated that from the previous game. Although maybe a way to make that cool is to have not just offense vs. defense practice but individual drills. Like maybe you just drafted an offensive lineman and a defensive tackle and you're not sure how good they are yet. Put them in a one on one drill and see for yourself how they handle it. Or maybe you have an undrafted receiver who keeps burning your veteran corner in drills. It might help you make a cutdown decision.

Anyway, now for my real suggestion, and it mostly concerns the draft. I think five of the top guys from each draft should be invited to the draft like in real life. Then, as they get picked, show them putting their team's hat on and holding up their new jersey with the commissioner. And if one of the five guys starts slipping, show him sitting at a table with his family looking uncomfortable. Then, when a team picks him, you can show him on his cell phone with a smile on his face. Also, I don't think the guys should dress the same. If there is a cocky receiver, he should wear a more flamboyant suit. Call me crazy, but if I drafted a guy and he showed up on stage wearing something ridiculous (like a purple suit and a top hat or something) I'd be pumped. This game is good about giving character to the fictional players, but it could go a lot further.

Also, you know how sometimes after a Schefter update it'll show Dick Jauron saying "I'm Dick Jauron, and you're watching NFL Network"? Well how about this... In my upcoming draft, the top guy seems to be QB Jack English (not a spoiler, they tell you he's good from the start, and anyway, I haven't drafted yet so I don't know). Well let's say Jack English becomes a star QB for someone. Why not have him come on after a Schefter update and say "I'm Jack English, and you're watching NFL Network"? You could do this with a few guys from each draft. Normally as the game goes on, there are more and more fictional guys in the league. And you may remember some of them from your drafts, but you don't know them like you know the real players. Little things like this would help the league seem less faceless especially toward the end when it ends up being mostly made up players.

And it's not like you have to pay Jack English to get him to do voice work. Just get random people. Heck, I'll be Jack English for free. See how easy this would be to add?

But don't do any of this until you fix the game engine, haha. Bug-free and balanced is what I'd like to see the most.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:23 AM   #80
Rookie

OVR: 10

First this game is awesome and I think my wife is wondering if I have left her for my XBOX . Some things i would like to see in the future are:

1. Post game press conference... this would effect the media approval.... have them ask like 4 or five questions and you have a chance to answer with different options. Or if you skip it after a contiversial decision on the field that would effect things....

2. tweak the Defining moments.... im sick of a defining moment popping up when i just scored in the 4th and loosing by 5 with like 13 minutes left and they want me to onside kick it... that is so stupid...... no one would do this.

3. when players come to you with contract extensions have different options instead of ignore.... Olin kruetz is a great player and loyal... but i dont have the cap room until after the season to sign him.... have an option that would allow me to tell him we want you but we have to wait for cap room... obviously different players will react differently.... loyal players will be like ok coach but i will talk if your lying..... and lone wolfs will react negitively and keep trying.

4. have more player coach interaction....

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »