Home

NFL Head Coach 09 Review

This is a discussion on NFL Head Coach 09 Review within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #33
Rookie

Shakes's Arena

OVR: 2
I love playing this game and cant get enough of it. I would probably score it an 8.5 because of a couple of bug factors.

1) The fumbles. I know its been beaten to death but unlike the review its the other way around for me. I always fumble in a game it seems like but my opponents never do (and when they do they challenge and the play gets reversed)

2) The 2 minute game. This one annoys the crap out of me as you can not audible plays from the line of scrimmage. Even timeouts used can be incorrect at times. The running out of time at the end of the half when about to kick the game winning field goal is another one. .

3) Speaking of field goals, Why can David Akersw hit a 52 yard field goal in supersim mode but every field goal from 46+ ends up short (even with help fro0m a 20 mph wind at one time).

4) Defining moments. Now for the most part I think these are great but a few need to be ironed out. When I am up in a game with 20 seconds to go and I have to run one more play on 4th down, that should not be a defining moment.

The first 3 are the most important. #4 not so much. Dont get me wrong though, this game is very addicting. Personally if I were the developers I would not release one in 2010 but in 2011. Look at Madden, honestly I am not too thrilled with franchised mode and as far as superstar mode...uh why is it there again? I think you could get a much better collection of what gamers want tweaked and/or added with a 2 year waiting period that doesnt seems like a rushed game then a 1 year.

Anyway basically starting from scratch and dismantling a god afwul original HC game (I was able to draft reggie bush at the 25th spot for crying out loud once) the developers deserve alot of credit to bringing probably my favorite Football game since NFL2k5. (But um..can you not have the intro rip my favorite team with a pass to Reggie Wayne to win the SB?) For the record its going from 5-11 to 11-5 not 6-10. Still some things to work on but overall still one of the best games out there on the market for sports fans.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:03 PM   #34
TCF
Rookie

OVR: 7
despite the bugs i give this game a 9.5 out of 10.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:32 PM   #35
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: NFL Head Coach 09 Review

Bill Abner had high praise for the game, giving it a B+, which is real good coming from him.

http://nutweasel.blogspot.com/2008/0...-tecumseh.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2008, 07:53 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 3
Great review. I held off on getting Madden to see if HC was as good as the previews suggested. One question regarding the work arounds to the current bugs: I did see the warning not to edit plays from the clipboard or you get the injury bug. Are there other workarounds given and is there someplace where these are outlined/consolidated?

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2008, 08:02 PM   #37

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Good review for the most part, there are a few areas I completely disagree with but thats how it goes I guess. Just to throw it out there, you mention in it that star RB's will hit the hole much quicker while backups and journeyman will struggle to find the hole, take longer and have a tougher time running. Well I use Frank Gore who is now a 90 and he still cant hit the hole fast, and I have seen on more the once occasion per game him hit the hole and somehow turn and run backwards away from the hole, so dont know whats going on there.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:56 PM   #38
MVP

Matt Diesel's Arena

OVR: 20
Does Gore know the plays you are calling? I find that when a RB doesnt know the play being called, he looks lost.

Good review. One of the more in-depth reviews I have seen on here.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:57 PM   #39

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mddst34
Does Gore know the plays you are calling? I find that when a RB doesnt know the play being called, he looks lost.

Good review. One of the more in-depth reviews I have seen on here.
He does, in fact they are all mastered since there are so few in Mike Martz' playbook. Im not going to get too involved in that here though since this is more for the review but Ive posted about it in other areas.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:07 PM   #40
MVP

Perceptor's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Looman
Not at all. I didn't communicate clearly but what I meant is that if we get a 40 or a 50 that's because of bugs, I think that's unfair.

When Game Informer said our game was like a team going from 5-11 to 6-10, I thought that was pretty silly.

The guys on this team killed themselves on this game and they deserve credit for what they did.

Outside of the bugs, I feel like everybody is having a really fun time with the game and I think the OS review was the most fair I've seen yet.

To me, a review is meant to look at the overall experience and judge the game's value compared to other titles.
Well said Josh and I agree about the GI comments...however, IMHO the whole review was a joke...anyhow, I gave this game a 9.5 and out of all the football games I've played, this is the most I've played since Madden 05...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »