Home

Josh: Clock Issues?

This is a discussion on Josh: Clock Issues? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2008, 02:16 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 11
Josh: Clock Issues?

Guys, I'm seeing something strange with the clock during games. Every game, I'll see 6-8 plays where the clock will stop after a play where the runner is tackled in the field of play. I'm not counting injury plays or timeouts (as far as I can tell). The clock doesn't start again until the ball is snapped. I've tried to find some kind of pattern, but it seems to happen entirely at random.

There are also a few instances where the clock is in violation of NFL rules. Here's the rule:
"8. With the exception of the last two minutes of the first half and the last five minutes of the second half, the game clock will be restarted following a kickoff return, a player going out of bounds on a play from scrimmage, or after declined penalties when appropriate on the referee’s signal."

To the best of my knowledge, none of those are happening right now. Also, in the last two minutes, there's the injury run-off rule as well as the defensive penalty rule:
"2. A team cannot buy an excess time out for a penalty. However, a fourth time out is allowed without penalty for an injured player, who must be removed immediately. A fifth time out or more is allowed for an injury and a five-yard penalty is assessed if the clock was running. Additionally, if the clock was running and the score is tied or the team in possession is losing, the ball cannot be put in play for at least 10 seconds on the fourth or more time out. The half or game can end while those 10 seconds are run off on the clock.

3. If the defensive team is behind in the score and commits a foul when it has no time outs left in the final 40 seconds of either half, the offensive team can decline the penalty for the foul and have the time on the clock expire."

Sorry, not trying to nit-pick. The game is great and I'm just trying to bring these situations to your attention because you guys have paid extreme attention to detail. Thanks and I apologize if this has already been brought up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2008, 02:24 PM   #2
NFL Head Coach '09 Lead Programmer

OVR: 3
Re: Josh: Clock Issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billharris44
Guys, I'm seeing something strange with the clock during games. Every game, I'll see 6-8 plays where the clock will stop after a play where the runner is tackled in the field of play. I'm not counting injury plays or timeouts (as far as I can tell). The clock doesn't start again until the ball is snapped. I've tried to find some kind of pattern, but it seems to happen entirely at random.

There are also a few instances where the clock is in violation of NFL rules. Here's the rule:
"8. With the exception of the last two minutes of the first half and the last five minutes of the second half, the game clock will be restarted following a kickoff return, a player going out of bounds on a play from scrimmage, or after declined penalties when appropriate on the referee’s signal."

To the best of my knowledge, none of those are happening right now. Also, in the last two minutes, there's the injury run-off rule as well as the defensive penalty rule:
"2. A team cannot buy an excess time out for a penalty. However, a fourth time out is allowed without penalty for an injured player, who must be removed immediately. A fifth time out or more is allowed for an injury and a five-yard penalty is assessed if the clock was running. Additionally, if the clock was running and the score is tied or the team in possession is losing, the ball cannot be put in play for at least 10 seconds on the fourth or more time out. The half or game can end while those 10 seconds are run off on the clock.

3. If the defensive team is behind in the score and commits a foul when it has no time outs left in the final 40 seconds of either half, the offensive team can decline the penalty for the foul and have the time on the clock expire."

Sorry, not trying to nit-pick. The game is great and I'm just trying to bring these situations to your attention because you guys have paid extreme attention to detail. Thanks and I apologize if this has already been brought up.
I noticed all of the things you've listed when testing the 2 minute drill fixes. Scratched my head more than a few times.

Unfortunately I don't think we'll be able to fix these for the patch, as we're trying to move quickly now. We'll definitely add them to the list of known issues.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:28 PM   #3
Pro

Thanks for the quick reply, Josh.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:30 PM   #4
Pro

Ack. Dan--thanks for the quick reply.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:10 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 14

[quote=billharris44;2038639614]Guys, I'm seeing something strange with the clock during games. Every game, I'll see 6-8 plays where the clock will stop after a play where the runner is tackled in the field of play. I'm not counting injury plays or timeouts (as far as I can tell). The clock doesn't start again until the ball is snapped. I've tried to find some kind of pattern, but it seems to happen entirely at random.

I can tell you what is happening to the clock stopping. With my Audio sliders I hear the PA Announcer clear as day. After a play every once in a while, whether it be a running play or complete pass inbounds the PA Announcer will come on and say injury timeout for one team even though no injury is listed, so the clock stops. I notice this many times during the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2008, 05:20 PM   #6
MVP

SlyBelle's Arena

OVR: 10

[quote=MissionMaximus;2038639960]
Quote:
Originally Posted by billharris44

I can tell you what is happening to the clock stopping. With my Audio sliders I hear the PA Announcer clear as day. After a play every once in a while, whether it be a running play or complete pass inbounds the PA Announcer will come on and say injury timeout for one team even though no injury is listed, so the clock stops. I notice this many times during the game.
Yeah, I have noticed that too. I also thought is was due to an injury on my team or the cpu.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:25 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 14

[quote=SlyBelle;2038639976]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionMaximus

Yeah, I have noticed that too. I also thought is was due to an injury on my team or the cpu.
Perhaps, but usually they lay on the ground when injured.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »