Home

Questions on Philosophy, playbooks

This is a discussion on Questions on Philosophy, playbooks within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2008, 09:51 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Questions on Philosophy, playbooks

Is there a breakdown anywhere of what some of the in-game philosophies mean and how they affect ratings etc?

It would be nice to see exactly what a prototype LB is looking for, or the mauler linemen.

Also, I know I saw somewhere, but cannot find it now, the break down of all of the playbooks.

****I updated the questions, and my situation, below in post 4, someone please help me out, thanks****

Last edited by ratscat; 08-26-2008 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Added Info
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2008, 10:06 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Questions on Philosophy, playbooks

I guess I'm really hoping there is just a breakdown somewhere of all the types of players, etc....so I could just read descriptions, etc.

I have lots of questions, Pure Passer v. Field general v Balanced, etc, and then how does play call styling effect things....
Old 08-25-2008, 11:43 PM   #3
Rookie

BuccNole17's Arena

OVR: 4

I have the same questions. Can someone please explain to us the difference between these? thanks in advanced.
NBA: Miami Heat
Old 08-26-2008, 08:30 AM   #4
Rookie

Man, I love this game, but get so frustrated at the same time!

I'm struggling as the bears, mightily.

I have upgraded every position, but feel like I'm destined to lose. My defense holds things close, but my offense blows.

My main issue with this game, is that owners are so quick to fire you. They will do it in one year, when would this ever happen?

If I bring in a new coach, and a new playbook, very realistic, I am almost set up to fail unless my team is stacked, which would be unrealistic for a good stacked team to need a new coach and playbook.

The players progress so slow when learning the new playbook, that it is very difficult to play consistently and WIN. My owner rating is 0 whereas others are high.

I'm frustrated, because I love the direction this team could go with my youth, good cap space, and playbook that needs to be learned, but I just know that I"m going to put time into it this season and still lose games, And I'll get fired. I'm going to be pissed....

The other coaches also blow, when you are a new coach on a team, and man does it make it extremely hard....I need help so that I can not get fired in year one, because I know if I can get to 2, with playbook learned, a better staff and maybe another few positions upgraded, I'll be on the road to success.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:41 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratscat
Man, I love this game, but get so frustrated at the same time!

I'm struggling as the bears, mightily.

I have upgraded every position, but feel like I'm destined to lose. My defense holds things close, but my offense blows.

My main issue with this game, is that owners are so quick to fire you. They will do it in one year, when would this ever happen?

If I bring in a new coach, and a new playbook, very realistic, I am almost set up to fail unless my team is stacked, which would be unrealistic for a good stacked team to need a new coach and playbook.

The players progress so slow when learning the new playbook, that it is very difficult to play consistently and WIN. My owner rating is 0 whereas others are high.

I'm frustrated, because I love the direction this team could go with my youth, good cap space, and playbook that needs to be learned, but I just know that I"m going to put time into it this season and still lose games, And I'll get fired. I'm going to be pissed....

The other coaches also blow, when you are a new coach on a team, and man does it make it extremely hard....I need help so that I can not get fired in year one, because I know if I can get to 2, with playbook learned, a better staff and maybe another few positions upgraded, I'll be on the road to success.
I am with you on this. How do I get to year two. I play as Oakland and even Al Davis is giving Kiffen year 2, well to start anyway. I redrafted, traded down to dallas for their 2 number ones and a number 2, got felix jones in the package, cut a lot of old bloated contracts and went young and good salery managment. Year one I took care of RB WR OLB and RT. Next year I am looking hard for a DT and MLB and CB (not sure I can afford Namdi). But I am not sure I will be there to see it. We are 1-4 with a owner score of 20 (was 0). My OC QB Gen Man and Trainer are god awful but I can't upgrade them so I am forced to use Walter at QB since he gives me the best chance to win. Learning pats and tampa playbooks are taking forever. I saw if I can get owner approval over 20 I have a shot to stick around one more year. Is this true? I find myself going for 4th downs when I know I shouldn't only to get approval of the owner in the event I get it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2008, 02:17 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

I don't know if it's going to work yet, but with the Dolphins I installed new playbooks on both sides of the ball figuring that a majority of the current players were on the way out anyway. I worked hard to get a bunch of guys who could learn well. That was my number one criteria in free agency and I used it in the first 4 rounds of the draft as one of the top 3 criteria. In the later rounds I took some flyers on guys with low learning that I have inside knowledge are supposedly good players as they develop (T. Bake and his 5 learning score for instance). I figure those guys are projects that might give me something in the future.

The first pre-season game vs Tampa was UGLY though.The 1st string defense did okay, but the offense was horrid..just like I would expect a team learning a complicated system would be. I'm satisfied so far, but we'll see how the owner feels about things.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:43 PM   #7
Rookie

That's the biggest thing, I'm liking the direction I'm going with it, I'm just really concerned that I won't be able to see it play out and the bear's owner will fire me this off-season. I'm at 0 approval with him right now
Old 08-26-2008, 02:54 PM   #8
Banned

bigjake62505's Arena

OVR: 22

I do not have the game but I have some questions for you guys on this thread. If you create a coach can you use the exhisting teams playbook? If you can, does the players already know it? Can you change playbooks after year 1 and slowly change to whatever playbook you want to use? Are there contract extensions for your coach or is it always 1 year? I hope every season you play isn't a one year thing. There will always be a adjustment period when a new coach comes in and I would think that the game would reflect that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »