Home

What's your Preseason Promise..?

This is a discussion on What's your Preseason Promise..? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 12-06-2011, 02:18 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: What's your Preseason Promise..?

lol, i just started with the Pats....I knew it would be easy, but I grew up 10 minutes from their stadium, so how can I not?

Anyways, the owner expected that we win the superbowl. haha, that's a bit rediculous, so i promised to win the conference (and lost 1 approval point for doing so)
Old 12-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 2

My first season with my current Dolphins franchise, I promised the absolute least, because I expected to underperform even that in our first year... and I did! Another 1-15 record for the fins was enough to garner the 2nd overall pick in 2009, which is really what I wanted on a rebuilding team. Also I had previously wheeled and dealed to trade for the Raiders and Falcons 2009 1st round picks. As the only team to do worse than me (0-16), I ended up with the Raiders 1st overall pick as well. You'd think they'd have realized they were going to suck that year, but I guess not. Falcons finished like 4th from the bottom, so I ended up with 3 picks in the top 5. Traded down on #1 and #4 (Argh, game made me take the #2 pick, nobody would even make an offer on trading up on it. Picked up Alain Dixon, and I still think that may have been a mistake with that immense contract), and ended up with an amazing 2009 draft. That draft still stands out in my memory, Jack English somehow fell to the Cardinals at #8. I've never seen him go out of the top 3, ever. It may have been the lucky break of a generation for the Cards, as English is currently #1 for ORotY and #2 for League MVP, and the Cards improved from 8th-from-the-bottom in 2008 to a top contender this year with a 5-2 record currently I believe.

Anyway, I had gutted 90% of the Dolphins roster to fix all but 2 of the few stupid contracts they had screwing up the long term salary cap outlook, as well as fired or traded anybody who didn't fit the playbook. I hired rookies and free agents to fill the difference, but I knew we weren't going to do anything that year so I made a realistic promise, and I couldn't even deliver on that (again, not unhappy. I wasn't building a team for a single season)

Of course, I think I promised the same thing this year, winning 3 games... Owner was a bit annoyed, but we did that by week 3 (currently 6-1), and my owner has nothing bad to say about me anymore. approval rating of 98 or 99, something like that.

In my experience, it's not worth paying any attention to the approval rating of media, fans, or your owner, since 3 or 4 wins in a row can take their ratings from 0 to 99 that quickly. A single well executed defining moment can gain 10+ points for each of them as well, it's crazy.

The ones to work on are players and staff, they take forever to top off if they're already low. For Example, my players were at like 28% approval rating when the season started, and now that we're 6-1, they're still only at 53% or so.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:02 AM   #19
MVP

OVR: 26

One thing you need to watch out for is the Approval Goal at the end of the season. It's -25 Owner approval if you fail to meet it, so it can be game over if your owner approval is average at best before that.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:18 AM   #20
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs844224
One thing you need to watch out for is the Approval Goal at the end of the season. It's -25 Owner approval if you fail to meet it, so it can be game over if your owner approval is average at best before that.
While that's true, I have found that some owners just are ok with failure. The dolphins owner, for instance gave me a completely 0% rating after a 1-15 season where i racked up a ton of cap hit penalties (although most of them got wiped out by a game changer), but he re-hired me anyway.

I then promptly contradicted almost all of his "i want you to retain this coach" decisions, yet he was strangely ok with it. I guess you just can't get worse than 0% acceptance.

Same thing happened (although not on such a drastic scale) with my falcons franchise awhile back.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #21
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix-Monkey
Dorsey is at the bottom of the FA QB list in my game. Rated like a 68 or something.
Depends which philosophy you use. If you use "big arm/tools", then he's gonna be terrible. I remember Dorsey more for killing careers of many QBs.

I promise realistic expectations for a team. Below/above .500 for my 1st year, playoffs second year and either conference championship or Superbowl my 3rd year. I wish there was a promise for "1 playoff win". There is a big difference between conference championship and making the playoffs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2011, 11:03 PM   #22
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnk
Depends which philosophy you use. If you use "big arm/tools", then he's gonna be terrible. I remember Dorsey more for killing careers of many QBs.

I promise realistic expectations for a team. Below/above .500 for my 1st year, playoffs second year and either conference championship or Superbowl my 3rd year. I wish there was a promise for "1 playoff win". There is a big difference between conference championship and making the playoffs.
Right, because beating a wildcard team isn't usually a big deal, usually a coin flip at the very worst. Conference championship usually involves beating the Colts or the Buccs, and that's something else altogether.

Although, that sarcasm aside, the Buccs lost to the Cards (which I think was 90% Jack English) in the 2009 playoffs in my current dynasty, and then the cards went on to beat the colts in the superbowl. Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have just drafted English, who I passed on in order to get Morrow in round 2. Not that Morrow is doing poorly mind you. He just didn't do THAT.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »