Home

Bill Abners Gameshark review is up

This is a discussion on Bill Abners Gameshark review is up within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2008, 07:29 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 10
Re: Bill Abners Gameshark review is up

Quote:
Originally Posted by arichzona
This all really happened within two minutes?

gameplanning might help.....

Why were you not trying to run out the clock as opposed to pushing in another TD?

*they score on a fumble return.....as you are tying to run it up
*they recover an onside....two plays - TD
*you get the ball back and fumble again? Unless you fumbled on the kickoff why did you not THEN take a knee?

there is a difference between comback logic and simply throwing the game away logic.

That is what I was trying to do....couldn't really care less about another score...the game was over (I thought). One more run he has to call a TO (after the 2 min warning). Never got that far. Either way...things like this shouldn't happen. Don't get me wrong....I really enjoy the game, but things like this kills it for me. Hopefully after the patch things will get better.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:44 AM   #18
Banned

arichzona's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
To be fair if they had all their timeouts he'd still need to run the ball to run clock and try to get a first down. Once he got that first down and they used all their TO's he'd be able to kneel on it.
true, but then again the ball is on their 10 yd line. three kneels - they burn all their to's and then you kick a FG to go up by more than three scores.....cpu has no to's left (one left if this began slightly before the 2:00 mark). This is then avoided. Or, dont kick it, just kneel and turn it over - they have 90 yds and (maybe) one timeout, down by three scores and under two mins.

The big problem would be that you would (might) have to use one of your t.o.'s to get your QB to call the kneel down. I see where he is getting frustrated though - that would piss me off.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:00 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaldo
http://www.gameshark.com/reviews/305...-09-Review.htm

Also, the on field gameplay has some remarkable problems (such as the lack of DL pressure) which Bill brought up during impressions on these forums but excluded in the review.
Maybe its because I got Tomie Harris (Bears) but I have little to no problem getting interior pressure. I like to audbile to DL Pinch on obvious interior runs so that may have some impact.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:07 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 2

I eat clock early and often. If I get the ball at the start of the game I try and eat as much of the 1st Q as possible by using running plays. Then I go to the pass with PA passes after they try to put 8 in the box. Hell I got Kyle Orton 4k passing yrds that way but that could just be an issue with the passing game.

If I have even a 1 point lead there is really no reason to do anything but run. Controlling the clock is the main way to win a game.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:49 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 3

I don't really understand why some people have the same issues and some people just seem to assume those of us that are seeing the "comeback logic" issue or whatever you want to call it are just idiots who don't know how to play properly.

I can tell you that probably 40% of all scoring in my games (through a season and a half) comes in the last 3 or so minutes of the halves. Some of this can be attributed to my lack of audibles but it should not be the same for the CPU who can audible against me. Almost all of the kick return touchdowns in my first season happened immediately following one team scoring to take the lead late in the half only to lose it again in the ensuing kickoff.

Scoring late in the game with long passes against a team who is EXPECTING and cheating to prevent long passes, should be hard and not happen every time. In my games, it happens pretty much every game. I have never, not once, seen the CPU go four and out in the last 2 mins of a game. Not once. My only hope is to be up by 4+ and wait until they are in my redzone and make a stop there. Short passes and runs, I have a chance against, but the long ball has 99% completion rate in the last 2 mins.

There is a reason why teams are not aggressive in the first quarter; it's not statistically beneficial. It's only when your back is against the wall that you have to throw caution to the wind. Like pulling your goalie in hockey, it should fail more than it works. A ten point lead with half a quarter to play should be enough to run out the clock most nights. Not always, but usually.

I'm sure a lot also has to do with the deep pass being broken and hopefully this can be addressed next year. But like others have said, something is going on here. Josh can bleat all he wants about how there is nothing resembling comeback logic in the game, but I've seen differently. Maybe it wasn't intentional, but burying your head in the sand and pretending there isn't a problem doesn't engender good will from me.

Zakk.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2008, 08:26 AM   #22
All Star

OVR: 33

There is no comeback logic.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:02 AM   #23
MVP

OVR: 13

"Comeback logic."