Home

Bill Abners Gameshark review is up

This is a discussion on Bill Abners Gameshark review is up within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2008, 03:50 PM   #25
MVP

Bill_Abner's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Bill Abners Gameshark review is up

Every game, if you believe forums, has comeback logic. From XBL CATAN to, it seems, Head Coach. I didn't see anything of the sort.

HC was a hard game to rate. It's pretty easy to pick apart its issues as they're pretty much front and center but the final question, for me, was fun. I enjoy playing it despite its quirks and bugs and if a game has legs for me post review, then I am very confident that I graded it appropriately. I think a B+ is fair, even though I can certainly understand how some players could get frustrated with it. Hopefully the patch fixes the bugs.

Then I read a truncated "D" review at 1Up and wonder if the guy played the same game I did. Reviews like that, IMO, really do the gamer a disservice, not because he gave the game a "D" (which I obviously disagree with) but because he doesn't even mention where the flaws in HC truly lie. He just gave it a D. End of story.

Such is the media, I guess.

Editor in Chief Gameshark.Com
http://www.gameshark.com
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2008, 08:33 PM   #26
NFL Head Coach '09 Lead Designer

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Abner
Every game, if you believe forums, has comeback logic. From XBL CATAN to, it seems, Head Coach. I didn't see anything of the sort.

HC was a hard game to rate. It's pretty easy to pick apart its issues as they're pretty much front and center but the final question, for me, was fun. I enjoy playing it despite its quirks and bugs and if a game has legs for me post review, then I am very confident that I graded it appropriately. I think a B+ is fair, even though I can certainly understand how some players could get frustrated with it. Hopefully the patch fixes the bugs.

Then I read a truncated "D" review at 1Up and wonder if the guy played the same game I did. Reviews like that, IMO, really do the gamer a disservice, not because he gave the game a "D" (which I obviously disagree with) but because he doesn't even mention where the flaws in HC truly lie. He just gave it a D. End of story.

Such is the media, I guess.
The 1up review was devastating. I know the game has problems, but there's no way it's a 25. That rating dropped our metacritic score drastically. It's so frustrating when you get so much positive feedback from the fans and good reviews from everybody else and then you read something like that. I could almost feel the guy's anger with being asked to review Head Coach. You can tell that he would much rather be reviewing Spore or Final Fantasy (which is fine) but that's why he was the wrong person to be reviewing our game. This is a killer.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:42 PM   #27
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Looman
The 1up review was devastating. I know the game has problems, but there's no way it's a 25. That rating dropped our metacritic score drastically. It's so frustrating when you get so much positive feedback from the fans and good reviews from everybody else and then you read something like that. I could almost feel the guy's anger with being asked to review Head Coach. You can tell that he would much rather be reviewing Spore or Final Fantasy (which is fine) but that's why he was the wrong person to be reviewing our game. This is a killer.

Josh, are you insinuating that the effects of the 1up review may prevent your team from getting another shot at making another HeadCoach game?

If you have a good feeling that there will be a HC'2011 then who cares what a couple of detractors have to say...
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.

Last edited by DLaren; 09-04-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:46 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
I just read it. Terrible, uninformative review, score notwithstanding. That guy must have spent about 30 minutes with the game. He apparently didn't even know he could watch the on-the-field play? See the following:

Quote:
But none of those options make the games exciting or interesting. You can sim or SuperSim the games -- SuperSim allows you to pick each play and record its result. But SuperSim robs you of some of the information you need to help you devise your play call (it tells you the formation the opposition is using, but that's it).
Old 09-04-2008, 08:49 PM   #29
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSparty
I just read it. Terrible, uninformative review, score notwithstanding. That guy must have spent about 30 minutes with the game. He apparently didn't even know he could watch the on-the-field play? See the following:
If he spent 30 minutes, I'd be shocked. This was such a bare bones, no depth review it's sad. Looman's right... absolute disservice to the consumer.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:52 PM   #30
Rookie

uiucjpo's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
This is a killer.
Man, I feel for ya. I can't imagine spending years making a game that for the most part accomplished what it set out to do, then some joke of a journalist who obviously just doesn't "get it" kills the overall score of the game. Tough break, keep your chin up. You made a hell of a game.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:16 AM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
If he spent 30 minutes, I'd be shocked. This was such a bare bones, no depth review it's sad. Looman's right... absolute disservice to the consumer.
And the unbelievaebly in-depth Operation Sports review is NOT included in the official Metacritic scores, in which we got our best score...from probably one of the only reviewers not named Bill Abner who has actually spent tons of hours playing the game, gathering your impressions, and delivering a well written, fair and balanced video game review.

bottom line....ughhh
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2008, 12:25 AM   #32
MVP

Bill_Abner's Arena

OVR: 12

I cannot stand Metacritic and how they lump scores into their system.

When we give a game a "B" Metacritic spits that out to read "75%"; my B+ review of HC is an 83. An 83.

It's frustrating because PR use GRankings and MC as gospel, which is very unfortunate.

Editor in Chief Gameshark.Com
http://www.gameshark.com

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »