Home

gameplanning

This is a discussion on gameplanning within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
gameplanning

During practice every week, what do you guys who have experience with HC, do to prepare for the upcoming game. I'm not sure where to start gameplanning. And since you only get to focus on three things in practice every week, I'm not sure what to focus on. To me, it seems like a crapshoot. Please help!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2008, 02:11 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: gameplanning

1st
i read the teams scouting report and pay attention to the run/pass splits

2nd
i go through the opposing teams entire roster and depth chart, position by position, and look for any glaring weaknesses to exploit

3rd
i check both teams injury reports and apply that to what i have found out on step 2... i will then either choose to shore up a weakness of mine or to exploit a chink in the opposing teams armor
Old 09-08-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
Banned

bigjake62505's Arena

OVR: 22

I would like to know this also. I haven't made it out of the preseason yet, but the only option I have is to train a rookie, or train a single play (offense or defense).
Old 09-08-2008, 02:23 PM   #4
MVP

chuckm1961's Arena

OVR: 12

This stuff would be nice to get in a report, like Madden did a year or two ago....

ya know, a screen that listed injuries for the other team, areas of weakness... maybe suggestions from OC and DC for plays to run....

as a strategy novice, I look at the Gameplanning report, and say to myself "that's nice, so what? Most teams tend to pass on third and long, how is this helpful?"

Head Coach is very helpful in some ways, then you get to this key aspect, and I feel like they throw you a bone and say "good luck, you're on your own."
Old 09-08-2008, 02:35 PM   #5
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16

Under most circumstances you get three oportunities a week to work on your gameplan. I practice two times and cancel the the third one so that my players will be well rested for the upcoming game.

My general formula is to use one gameplan to have my team master a play, then I use the other gameplan to counter whatever the opposing teams strenth is.

Example, I'm getting ready to play Denver this week, I checked the scouting report, their season stats, and their roster and they are a pass-first team on offense that struggles to stop the run on defense.

So with my first gameplan my team mastered a new run play and with my second gameplan I worked with my DB's in pass coverage.
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2008, 02:54 PM   #6
Rookie

i like to have atleast two agendas ready for gameday....even if u dnt focus on one play the team still practices a group of plays depending on the agenda....i prefer to gain moderate knowledge on a set of five plays as well as a deployable agenda item for those plays.... even with an 11 rated trainer, most my players fatigue levels are in the 90s so at most i will sit out an individual but i never cancel practice

***i've employed new playbooks on both sides of the ball so i need all the practice time i can get....i love seeing the difference in my level of preparedness when comparing preseason week 1 vs. my regular season week one game....i have a slew of mastered plays and my rookies are leading the way in play knowledge
Old 09-08-2008, 03:00 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm1961
as a strategy novice, I look at the Gameplanning report, and say to myself "that's nice, so what? Most teams tend to pass on third and long, how is this helpful?"

Head Coach is very helpful in some ways, then you get to this key aspect, and I feel like they throw you a bone and say "good luck, you're on your own."
Well yes, most teams do pass on 3rd and long. However, Ive found it very beneficial to check what teams do on 1st and 10, 2nd and short, and 3rd and short to get a feel of what kind of offense they are running

If they skew towards the run on first down and x and short, then thats what i gameplan for

however if they are 50/50 on first down and heavy pass on 2nd and short then i gameplan against their qb

I dont think the ALL section of the gameplan is very useful, since there are just too many factors that go into their total play selection (they could be a run first team but without success at it they find themselves in 2nd and long and 3rd and long very often, which would mean their total numbers are pass centered but what happens on first down is what matters to me.)
Old 09-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #8
Rookie

i run a 3-4 so i really need to be tuned in to what kinds of runs the offense will throw at me....i've used the scouting report to spot potential weak points in my defense.... for example, and im sure this is no shock to anyone, the Saints will run a lot of sweep and toss plays to Bush....even though we know this of the Saints i have seen this tendency with a lot of other teams....this way i know not to run an inside crash blitz with my LB's and instead focus on rushing with the safeties and corners.... i use the report as a reminder of what kind of team im facing....im sure that when im a few years into my dynasty i will find myself relying heavily on this tool as the landscape of individual teams and the nfl as a whole would have changed

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »