Home

Training camp and preseason

This is a discussion on Training camp and preseason within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-09-2008, 11:45 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Training camp and preseason

Some questions about this.

During training camp, does EVERYONE get to practice? Or do i have to set my depth charts so those rookies get more time in practice?

Preseason:
How do you set you depth charts? Do you have rookies at the #1 spot for positons or set as it normally would be set in regular season and just let the automatic preseason sub take its course?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2008, 12:08 AM   #2
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Training camp and preseason

1) 1st string gets all of the reps in practice until they have mastered the play; then the second and third stringers begin to get reps.

2) I set my depth chart based on who I think will be starting at the start of the season. If you're interested in getting a second string rookies up-to-speed then you can train them individually if you like...or just make them 1st stringers for practice.
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:54 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

Good to know. So those goals set of "make so and so get 49% play knowledge" it is usualyl good to have them as the 1st stringers
Old 09-10-2008, 09:13 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusional
Good to know. So those goals set of "make so and so get 49% play knowledge" it is usualyl good to have them as the 1st stringers
if i remember right those are +25/-25 goals from the same person (gm? owner? I forget) who gives you play x player for 50 downs during preseason goals (also +25/-25 goals)

so all you really need to do is ensure that those 3 guys get their plays (which is easy), and get the play knowledge for one guy taken care of (theyve been guys on the bubble for me the times ive played through camp and im not going to waste time getting some guy who may be cut up to speed when i have starters to worry about) and the two -25 approval hits will be offset by four +25 approval hits, so you net +50

I guess what im trying to say is that if you try and meet all these preseason goals you might end up hurting yourself for the regular season, so instead be more realistic in your expectations and just try and aim for most of your gm/owner preseason goals and concentrate on your personal (whatever you think needs to be done) preseason goals
Old 09-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSlayer
if i remember right those are +25/-25 goals from the same person (gm? owner? I forget) who gives you play x player for 50 downs during preseason goals (also +25/-25 goals)

so all you really need to do is ensure that those 3 guys get their plays (which is easy), and get the play knowledge for one guy taken care of (theyve been guys on the bubble for me the times ive played through camp and im not going to waste time getting some guy who may be cut up to speed when i have starters to worry about) and the two -25 approval hits will be offset by four +25 approval hits, so you net +50

I guess what im trying to say is that if you try and meet all these preseason goals you might end up hurting yourself for the regular season, so instead be more realistic in your expectations and just try and aim for most of your gm/owner preseason goals and concentrate on your personal (whatever you think needs to be done) preseason goals

This just occurred to me and I may be out in left field...but maybe the devs were trying to simulate something here...

If you coach your team based on what the owner and others want you to do, then you're never going to have a good team because you'll only be trying to please everyone else. (read interference result Bill Parcels: "If you want me to cook the dinner then you have to let me buy the groceries")

I just coach my team especially in the pre-season working on the goals that I feel are necessary and best for the team. I don't worry so much about goals handed down by the owner. Sure it's nice when I can work them in without affecting my direction...but in the end, I think if you're a good enough coach (i.e. you win) then your approval will eventually go up and everyone will be happy and perhaps even respect you more
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2008, 12:21 PM   #6
Rookie

i have yet to receive any "silly" goals....in preseason year 1, my goals were to improve play knowledge and achieve "x" amount of preseason reps with 3 different rookies.... those 3 were not only starters but impact players on my team...

OT Jake Long
OLB Keith Rivers
DT Dre Moore

i had to get those three up to speed, trade away an extra RG i had, and make 10 plays (which i most certainly did not do)....i've been lucky as i havent had to sacrifice wins for goals just yet
Old 09-10-2008, 01:54 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman Mafia
i have yet to receive any "silly" goals....in preseason year 1, my goals were to improve play knowledge and achieve "x" amount of preseason reps with 3 different rookies.... those 3 were not only starters but impact players on my team...

OT Jake Long
OLB Keith Rivers
DT Dre Moore

i had to get those three up to speed, trade away an extra RG i had, and make 10 plays (which i most certainly did not do)....i've been lucky as i havent had to sacrifice wins for goals just yet
How did you score both Long and Rivers?!
Old 09-10-2008, 03:04 PM   #8
Rookie

My original plan was to trade out of the no.1 overall pick and receive something like the 5th or 6th in return.... my 3 targets going for my first rounder were J. Long, C. Long, and Keith Rivers....i had scouted them pretty heavily and was hoping to pick up two of the three....i had Jason Taylor on the trading block and a 31st overall first rounder as well...with those two in place and the residual frm trading out of number 1 i planned on moving into the top 10 to secure them...

....Well...

HC 09 does not take well to my kind of shenanigans and no team would give me a solid offer for the first overall pick (one team offered me only two second rounders of the 08 draft, without conceding their 1st rounder).... i take Jake Long in with the first pick and im playing the "pick the pick" mini game when all of a sudden i get a call frm the Cincinnatti Bungles offering me their 11th overall selection.... i take a quick glance at the best available list and i see none other than Mr. Keith Rivers waiting in the wings....

The Bungles want my 31st, this year's 2nd, and Jason Taylor.... I offer them a 2nd and a 2009 first rounder...they actually took it....

the best part was that Rivers is compared to Derrick Brooks and i gave him the rock bottom offer of 5 years 9.5 million with no bonus or incentives....so far hes been amazing with 22 Tackles, 3 sacks, 2 FF, and 1 FR in the first two games of the season...and btw....i kept jason taylor and my 3-4 pass rush is sick... Taylor, Porter, Rivers are murdering QB's ....

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »