Home

Mid-Season Negotiations - How do you handle them?

This is a discussion on Mid-Season Negotiations - How do you handle them? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2008, 07:29 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Mid-Season Negotiations - How do you handle them?

I have about 10 players on my squad that I have absolutely no intention of even offering any type of contract to. If they're in a contract year, I've noticed the following:

Ignore negotations - Approval drop
Start negotians and listen to their first offer, then cancel out - Approval raise because you attended the session

I do this with all of the guys to keep their approval up, but it is funny to have guys with 99 approval when I hear their first offer and then walk out.

It is kind of annoying though that they pop up every week, but then again, such is the life of a GM where someone is begging him to play for them next year.

Do you guys have the same experience? How do you handle guys during the year that you don't play on re-signing?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Mid-Season Negotiations - How do you handle them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillyKillall
I have about 10 players on my squad that I have absolutely no intention of even offering any type of contract to. If they're in a contract year, I've noticed the following:

Ignore negotations - Approval drop
Start negotians and listen to their first offer, then cancel out - Approval raise because you attended the session

I do this with all of the guys to keep their approval up, but it is funny to have guys with 99 approval when I hear their first offer and then walk out.

It is kind of annoying though that they pop up every week, but then again, such is the life of a GM where someone is begging him to play for them next year.

Do you guys have the same experience? How do you handle guys during the year that you don't play on re-signing?
I had a player who I would keep exiting negotiations with, finally after like 4 attempts his status turned to "Refuses to resign" which is what I wanted the whole time
This year I've set all my contract negotiations to Delegate and turned off the Show Me so I don't even hear about them.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Hm... I wonder how well delegate would work for me. I'm worried about my cap space for next year so I don't really want to spend any money at the moment.

Here is an example of why I'm scared to delegate it.

In the off-season i picked up Desmond Clark (TE). Throughout the course of the season I have played him very hard and he has been doubtful for each game I used him in pretty much. Although I saw him dropping health-wise (now 40%), i still play him because he is averaging about 100 yards receiving per game.

He is #1 on my depth chart and contract is expiring, so I'm scared the GM might sign him without checking with my. My intention is to play him into a wheelchair and then pickup a new rookie TE in the draft.

Think I should delegate? Basically, I'm looking to drop 2/3 of my TE's in the off-season.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:07 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillyKillall
Hm... I wonder how well delegate would work for me. I'm worried about my cap space for next year so I don't really want to spend any money at the moment.

Here is an example of why I'm scared to delegate it.

In the off-season i picked up Desmond Clark (TE). Throughout the course of the season I have played him very hard and he has been doubtful for each game I used him in pretty much. Although I saw him dropping health-wise (now 40%), i still play him because he is averaging about 100 yards receiving per game.

He is #1 on my depth chart and contract is expiring, so I'm scared the GM might sign him without checking with my. My intention is to play him into a wheelchair and then pickup a new rookie TE in the draft.

Think I should delegate? Basically, I'm looking to drop 2/3 of my TE's in the off-season.
just make sure you have contract philosophies where you want them and be prepared to "disagree" with your GM since things will not always go how you want them, but that is why I decided to try this to add "realism" since I'm not acting as a GM and just to have one more absurdly ridiculous AI variable to have to adjust to in my coaching career
Old 09-15-2008, 11:40 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

While its not an exact answer to your question, the way I handle it is I resign everybody to deals with no signing bonus or incentives. That way you have the flexibility to go either way. If you resign Clark to say a 2 year deal with no bonus or incentives, then if you end up not getting a good TE in the draft, you still have Clark to fall back on. If you do get a good TE in the draft, you could either trade away or cut Clark with no penalty.

You just have to be stubborn in what you offer the player. I usually can sign every player eventually to the 1st package so im getting them cheap and im getting them with no strings attached.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2008, 11:45 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 5

I sign them all, if possible, but to 0 bonus contracts. Then I cut them in the off season, this at least saves me some approval hits.

Also, when its higher demands, just try to stretch out the negotiations, make one offer and let the clock run out. Generally the approval of the player will go up, just because the player is happy you are open to negotiating. once you've created that buffer of good approval you can ignore and not worry about losing many points.

I always tend to start off with loser teams so and approval is helpful to get through the first season.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:39 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

i usually re-sign guys that i can get without giving them a signing bonus even if i don't really want them back. i'll put them on the trade block or probably end up cutting them if i'm able to sign a better player
if it's a player i know i want on my team for awhile i don't really care about the signing bonus
if its a player i don't want back but he wants a big signing bonus or just a huge contract i'll just ignore him and now worry about the approval. one player's approval rating doesn't affect you that much overall. also if i have enough players at his position already i might just cut him in the middle of the season so i don't have to deal with him anymore

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »