Home

Pretty upset at the lack of guidance for this game

This is a discussion on Pretty upset at the lack of guidance for this game within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2008, 11:40 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Pretty upset at the lack of guidance for this game

Oh yeah, back to why I was originally going to post...Mrjordan being frustrated with the lack of a manual.

I feel that frustration. I found Operation Sports forum because I was looking online to see if there was something telling me what the player icons meant. I even bought the Prima book which was the first time in my 20+ years of gaming I have ever purchased a "guide". I'm glad I did though, there was some useful items in there, but man oh man oh man I needed more. I will not re-type the same post again where we all ask about Field General, strong -arm tools and prototype etc...but we've asked and Josh has said that would be too much to type here. Personally, I think if the answer is "that would be too much to type on a forum" then that's probably a pretty good sign it should have been in the manual But I accepted Josh's answer and admittedly most of the principals I've figured out on my own. Not all, still, but at least 1/2.

I also know that if/when Josh or any of the other devs had the time and opportunity, that they would create a thread to help us with "instruction book" type info. But we all know they are busy improving our favorite game so I chill.

sorry mrjones there is no good answer to alleviate your frustration but there are a LOT of answers buried in the forum...but then you have to be careful because different people can experience different results which may bias their response
Old 09-20-2008, 11:58 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 10

Once again....this is not Madden, repeat not Madden. You are not going to jump into this game and see great things from your all all-pro team. This game is more about playbook knowledge and coaching skills. You just can't look at a guy and say oh....I got this 93 overall rating RB....with sliders bumped up....I will run for 200 yds. Other things come into play. Playbook knowledge....not just him but the OL, QB, the whole team. Yes, he is going to play better over time than someone rated 80. Even if you have mastered the play....if you take a look at each player, someone has only learned the play. And if you have master a play...it doesn't mean it is a money play, it just has a better chance of working. You can also have very good gains with unlearned plays, mainly because if you haven't called that play alot or practiced it....the defense hasn't scouted it, so it is hard to defend. Sometimes they work, most of the times they don't.

You are not going to get good results after just 3 preseason games. Also, if you are only calling a handfull of plays, the defense is going to shut you down....again playbook knowledge. Take a look at my Viks franchise, and look at the last 2 games of preseason...lost both very bad....now take a look at week 14 and see how the team has come around.

About the TFL's....it is possible that your OL has not learned the plays/or your RB has not learned them. Who is the QB in Atl, maybe he is a pocket passer, I don't know. You have got to learn what you can and cannot do with the players you have. I can't run Taylor outside on a toss, even if he has master the play, he still gets stopped for a lost or short gain. He is best between the tackles. Some plays just don't work for me, I've adjusted to what do.

What kind of stats are you looking for. You got 8 TFL's and no sacks. So Vince took off on you am I right. Yes the CPU did get 14 tfls and yet you won 41 -17 with adjusted and 35-21 default. That is what we have been saying....it doesn't give you a hugh advantage.

I'am not on here to debate if the sliders work....for most I think are very happy with the game either on default or close to it. You are not going to see the changes you see with madden with the sliders. The game is designed for CPU vs CPU with you only calling the plays.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:24 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 4

My personal opinion is a game like this shouldn't even have sliders. they are a programmers crutch against getting the game right.

Having said that I think we need to see how the patch fixes running, passing and field goals before we can make an accurate assessment of how well the game is tuned.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2008, 01:49 PM   #12
Rookie

Kingfish's Arena

OVR: 5

Just my opinion BUT I've done a LOT of testing on this...

The sliders at DEFAULT is the only way to go!

The moment you shift one of the sliders it fouls up the stats and makes the results of the game to be something that they are not meant to be. You are NOT going to be able to shift the RBA up 100% and get a HB running 400yds a game in HC...ain't gonna happen.

The devs balanced the game out pretty spot on and once they 'fix/tune' the FGs and the fumbles...it will be, for the lack of a better word, perfect!
Old 09-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #13
Rookie

Embraer's Arena

OVR: 2

I have said for a long time that no sports games should have sliders or difficulty levels. Look at the best manager game ever made: The Championship/Football Manager series from SI Games.

They don't have sliders or different difficulty levels. How difficult the game is depends on what team you play as. The better the team the easier the game. Playing as a scrub team makes the game hard.

Head Coach, being that it is now perfecting the whole manager aspect for American Football should implement this as well. No difficulty levels. If we choose the Patriots the game is going to be easier..to a point. If we choose the Dolphins we are going to have much more of a challenge. Remember, in these manager games attributes are everything. Button mashing and sliders are for games like Madden.

Think about it....
Old 09-20-2008, 05:17 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 12

I tried messing with the sliders to give my running game a boost but couldn't get any noticeable affect even when I gave myself 100's and the CPU 0's. I was using the 49ers, which is probably my problem lol... but still... on the rare occasion that I did try to run, I was getting stuffed behind the line of scrimmage like at least 90% of the time. I think as of the 5th game of the regular season Frank Gore was averaging less than 1yd per carry. And what puzzles me is my offensive line is not that bad. I made some trades and free agent pickups to make the O line better and even when I focus on the running game in practice, I still just can not run the ball.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:35 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtydashone
I tried messing with the sliders to give my running game a boost but couldn't get any noticeable affect even when I gave myself 100's and the CPU 0's. I was using the 49ers, which is probably my problem lol... but still... on the rare occasion that I did try to run, I was getting stuffed behind the line of scrimmage like at least 90% of the time. I think as of the 5th game of the regular season Frank Gore was averaging less than 1yd per carry. And what puzzles me is my offensive line is not that bad. I made some trades and free agent pickups to make the O line better and even when I focus on the running game in practice, I still just can not run the ball.
Fact: The hardest thing to do in the NFL is run successfully. If you can run successfully, you have a championship team. End of Story!

oops i said end of story already, but this is why defenses are always geared to stop the run first. You have to, if a team can run on you, there is no way to win the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2008, 10:46 PM   #16
MVP

Perceptor's Arena

OVR: 18

To OP: There are a ton of threads with tips from those of us that have been playing this game extensively to help newbies get used to the game. PurplePower is right - THIS IS NOT MADDEN

I have not tuned my game at all and it plays a very nice game of football. If you want more guidance, I would suggest you get the guide. It really is good for people just getting into the game and it was great for me in starting out.

This game has got a learning curve, but that's what makes it fun for me. I like a challenge and this game provides it for me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »