Home

Old 09-21-2008, 08:02 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 11
Comeback AI

So let me ask you, those that think sports games have logic that try to make every game close...

Was it comeback AI that caused the officials to call pass interference on an incomplete 4th down pass that would have given the Colts a win? oh yeah, that doesn't count, that's real life
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2008, 08:20 AM   #2
MVP

shnuskis's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Comeback AI

Or the Bills comeback, the Tampa comeback, or the Saints keeping it close after being down big. This season is looking like a video game instead of football. LOL.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnuskis
Or the Bills comeback, the Tampa comeback, or the Saints keeping it close after being down big. This season is looking like a video game instead of football. LOL.
yeah, does football suck or does our game rock !! <--i still think this is more a richard nixon smiley
Old 09-23-2008, 12:11 PM   #4
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Right. I just had the Madden CPU, down 10 with 1:37 left: score a touchdown against double coverage, inexplicably GO FOR TWO, make it, kick an onside, GET IT, then kick a field goal to win. Not tie, WIN.

The CPU decided that it would win the game when it went for two. Nothing, short of switching controller sided, could have stopped it.

The games cheats. Period. It's not a secret.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:10 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
Right. I just had the Madden CPU, down 10 with 1:37 left: score a touchdown against double coverage, inexplicably GO FOR TWO, make it, kick an onside, GET IT, then kick a field goal to win. Not tie, WIN.

The CPU decided that it would win the game when it went for two. Nothing, short of switching controller sided, could have stopped it.

The games cheats. Period. It's not a secret.
Then apparently so does Mike Shanahan
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2008, 03:16 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 9

There have been a lot of crazy comebacks and shootouts this year, it has been a fun season so far. I do sometimes feel though that the game has some comeback AI, and I only say this because if you look over a number of games I quite often see numerous points scored at the end of the 2nd and 4th quarters. Sometimes feels a bit suspect. Perhaps the method they call is mikeShanahan().
Old 09-23-2008, 03:21 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1Blumpkin1x
There have been a lot of crazy comebacks and shootouts this year, it has been a fun season so far. I do sometimes feel though that the game has some comeback AI, and I only say this because if you look over a number of games I quite often see numerous points scored at the end of the 2nd and 4th quarters. Sometimes feels a bit suspect. Perhaps the method they call is mikeShanahan().

But think of it in this respect....

When you are up by 3 or more scores...and you definitely see this in real life, the defense relaxes (some even go to god-awful prevent) and most teams score 1 or 2 scores at the end of the game.

This is not unusual whatsoever in the NFL, so for the game to do this, only is a reflection of what and how teams call plays when they are ahead or behind.

So if you want to call that "combeack Ai" then I'll agree with you, that there is comeback ai...but if you plead that the computer is "cheating" and will always manipulate the game to win at the end...then I believe that is obviously ludicrous!
Old 09-23-2008, 03:41 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 9

I'm not sure I would say the game is programmed to cheat and predetermine an outcome. That is a bit nuts, although I do yell that at the TV sometimes .

But I do believe there is some mechanic in there to keep things close by allowing more scores towards the end of each half. I have seen way too many games where there has to be a drop in attribute points or something to that effect. Open receivers just dropping balls, etc. And this after having not previously been an issue all game. It probably is just to keep the games close.

And this isn't just the CPU. I have seen my players all of a sudden go from All-*** to All-Madden and the CPU flip flop and I get a crazy win. And this goes WAY back to Madden games on old-gen hardware. Nothing new here.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »