Home

Is the run game broken?

This is a discussion on Is the run game broken? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Is the run game broken
Its pefect 18 25.35%
Its a bit weak 18 25.35%
Its broken 17 23.94%
People need to work on new strategies 18 25.35%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2008, 04:05 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: Is the run game broken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDMG
There's a difference between correlation and causation. Winning teams run the ball more than losing teams because, when you're winning, you're more likely to run the ball to run out the clock. The inverse is true with losing teams passing more to keep the clock from running out.
I realize this, mainly was just pointing out that even the "Pass heavy" teams like GB last year and NE and indy ran the ball quite a bit. Also, among the most run heavy teams, about half of them were losing teams so that kinda contradicts your statement a little
Old 09-25-2008, 04:19 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
wow, that is impressive. 22 runs in 1 drive. just wondering, how many penalties did you get called for on the drive?
i had 2 holdings, and they had 1 offsides. i still lost 35-14, that drive actually killed me since i took too much time.

just a tip for running, which has worked for me, is that the first few games, youll probably get bad results. i had between 2-3 ypc thru the first 2 preseason games(gotta coach all of them). soon after that, idk why, but the yards will start to come. just gotta keep on trying, and run the ball a lot no matter what
Old 09-25-2008, 04:38 PM   #19
Rookie

Frog-Face-Frown's Arena

OVR: 2

I can run easily up the gut by rotating Ingel Martin using QB sneak and my speedy Fullback using FB dive all game without hardly throwing a pass. CPU never seems to adapt to stopping this. Anyone tried this?

l have a PS 3 pre-patched version of the game, so I'm just wondering if this has been fixed in the patch?
Old 09-25-2008, 05:06 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog-Face-Frown
I can run easily up the gut by rotating Ingel Martin using QB sneak and my speedy Fullback using FB dive all game without hardly throwing a pass. CPU never seems to adapt to stopping this. Anyone tried this?

l have a PS 3 pre-patched version of the game, so I'm just wondering if this has been fixed in the patch?
Everyone knows that QB sneak doesnt ever fail unless there is a fumble, but this is kinda a cheap way of implementing a running game. I would prefer being able to do it calling plays like a sane coach might really try
Old 09-25-2008, 05:27 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 4

I voted for new strategies because after playing a ton of games with different team I am finding that the running game is realistic to a certain point. There are ALOT of factors that go into having a good running game.

Fatigue, Health, RB stats/intangibles, OL stats/intangibles, opponents defense, coaching from your HC to your RBC, OLC, as well as whether you play at home or away.

ALL of these factors come into play as Josh has stated time and time again.

Now while the running game is not perfect, it's close to being realistic. I played a game with Redskins and Portis has 1 - 100 yard rushing games out of 3. The other 2 games he had 70 yards and 93 yards .

Then I played Adrian Peterson in my viking league and played 3 games and all 3 were 100+ yard rushing games. In fact, Peterson broke out 2 nice runs in 1 game where he got 160 yards and 2 TD's. One run was for 47 yards, the other was 35 yards in the same game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2008, 05:31 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 12

I've been using the 49ers and made it about 5 games into the regular season pre-patch, and now I'm 6 games into regular season post-patch (started over). To me the running game seems worthless to th point that I've pretty much abandoned it completely. I've got Frank Gore as my starter, I think he's like a 89 or 90 overall. He gets stuffed in the backfield just about every time. The lineman aren't bad, they're all at least 80's overall. I've also assigned skills and special skills to run blocking, I've cranked the sliders bigtime to try to give myself an advantage, etc. Doesn't matter what I do, nothing works. It doesn't seem to matter what situation I try to run on either, and even if I pass all game and run only 5 or 6 running plays the entire game, there's a good chance all 5 or 6 of them will be stuffed behind the line of scrimmage. The only time I've ever had any success whatsoever with the run is on 2nd and short situations, but even that is a rare success. It just seems like the AI is psychic and knows exactly when to run blitz, even when I haven't run the ball for three quarters of play. Even when I try to run it up the gut, I will get some blitzing OLB coming around the end and hitting Gore from the side and stopping him behind the line of scrimmage.

The AI teams on the other hand do fair better with their running game, but still not to the point that it's ever been a threat. I mean they might have a nice gain here and there but I have never had to worry about stopping anybody's running game, I've always had to primarily focus on stopping the pass.

For what it's worth I don't think I've ever managed more than maybe 30yds rushing total in any game. Typically Gore's season rush avg. is about half a yard per carry, so you can see why I've almost abandoned it altogether. I probably throw 99% passes now, with maybe 5 rushes per game at the most, and I'm faring better in my career with that.

Last edited by sixtydashone; 09-25-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:56 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 3

THIS IS BEFORE PATCH - 7 seasons. 2,000+ yards rushing per season. 3 superbowl appearances. default sliders. I use two different backs; M. Forte (90 OVR) & a speedy receiver type (82 OVR). I have a good young balanced fullback (85-86 OVR). O-line are large maulers averaging 91 OVR.

HB Philosophy - workhorse.
Playcall - westcoast balanced.

Forte is the starter and I use the alternate back for 3rd downs. I average about 130 yards a game. About 0-2 fumbles a game, sometimes more when I play but it's interesting to note that it's usually only one HB having fumblitis and so I simply sub the other back fulltime. In order to get a good running game against a good team there has to be a mixture of playcalls.

My only team problem is developing a good passing game to go with it. It's seems impossible to develop wide receivers to full potential. QB (82-88), WR (80-85).
Old 09-25-2008, 07:00 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippotitus
THIS IS BEFORE PATCH - 7 seasons. 2,000+ yards rushing per season. 3 superbowl appearances. default sliders. I use two different backs; M. Forte (90 OVR) & a speedy receiver type (82 OVR). I have a good young balanced fullback (85-86 OVR). O-line are large maulers averaging 91 OVR.

HB Philosophy - workhorse.
Playcall - westcoast balanced.

Forte is the starter and I use the alternate back for 3rd downs. I average about 130 yards a game. About 0-2 fumbles a game, sometimes more when I play but it's interesting to note that it's usually only one HB having fumblitis and so I simply sub the other back fulltime. In order to get a good running game against a good team there has to be a mixture of playcalls.

My only team problem is developing a good passing game to go with it. It's seems impossible to develop wide receivers to full potential. QB (82-88), WR (80-85).
That looks good....I've got the Viks and gonna end up with about 1500 total for both backs due to the injuries. Forte, gave me a good game in mine as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »