Home

Is the run game broken?

This is a discussion on Is the run game broken? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Is the run game broken
Its pefect 18 25.35%
Its a bit weak 18 25.35%
Its broken 17 23.94%
People need to work on new strategies 18 25.35%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2008, 07:54 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: Is the run game broken?

Another reason reading all this that I think it is broken, With the right system here it, and I have seen this too in my games, it is too easy to gain 2000 yards in a season. That should be a very rare accomplishment. Broken doesnt necisarily mean too weak, I think the pass game is broken because it is too strong for weaker qbs but I have seen discussions leading to me thinking some may be in the coaching abilities. Back to the run game though, the part that I think is broken is in real life even with a weak running playbook like Martz with SF, no upgrades on the OLine from what they have in the game, and a OC who is known more for passing than running they still put up over 100 on the ground last week. I think the curve for the running game on here is to skewed towards the stronger teams just like the passing game isnt skewed enough
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2008, 08:18 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 12

One thing that gets me about the running game is the way the backs just don't hit the holes. There will be two or three holes open up right in front of him, but for some reason he decides to bounce outside and then gets stuffed at or behind the line of scrimmage by a OLB because of it. Honestly I think if my back would just hit the hole and RUN FORWARD he'd do much better overall. Even if he gets hit at the line of scrimmage his momentum will carry him forward for a couple of yards. Instead they try all this juking and bouncing outside on plays that are designed to run up the middle, and end up with a 2yd loss. It drives me nuts. It's like he's scared of contact. There's been several times where I've been yelling at my TV "RUN. FORWARD." lol.

Last edited by sixtydashone; 09-25-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:46 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 4

I don't think the Run Game is broken, with the exception of backs with good ball carrier vision still running into defenders when a huge hole is open.

The problem is the defenses reactions to the run game. My defenses do OK against the run game but when I try to run, the opposing defense seems to always be faster than my back. They home in on him like a missle and he can almost never shake them. I am using Felix Jones who has a 99 Speed/99 Acceleration ratings and he still gets caught from behind or can't even outrun slow defensive line players to the corner.

I'm not sure what exactly the problem is but I am sure it is something minor... i just hope it gets discovered soon.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:09 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 2

I think it needs to be tweaked, especially the RB logic.

For instance, I was backed up to my goal line after an interception. So I tried running it, Larry Johnson gets out to the 1, there is a hole in front of him, but instead of running through it, what do you think he decided to do. Turned right, and then turned back into the endzone where he got tackled for a safety.

No one in the NFL would ever do that, unless there is some strategy advantage for doing so, and I doubt they'd call a play like that.

The oddball jukes that make no sense to make, and not taking the hole that is presented to you if it's right in front of your face and all that requires to do is run forward, has to be fixed, either through a patch, or the next edition.

Last edited by theanalogkid; 09-25-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:22 AM   #29
MVP

OVR: 20

I would have to agree, correct final stats do not always mean a good simulation of reality
Old 09-26-2008, 01:59 AM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanalogkid
I think it needs to be tweaked, especially the RB logic.

For instance, I was backed up to my goal line after an interception. So I tried running it, Larry Johnson gets out to the 1, there is a hole in front of him, but instead of running through it, what do you think he decided to do. Turned right, and then turned back into the endzone where he got tackled for a safety.

No one in the NFL would ever do that, unless there is some strategy advantage for doing so, and I doubt they'd call a play like that.

The oddball jukes that make no sense to make, and not taking the hole that is presented to you if it's right in front of your face and all that requires to do is run forward, has to be fixed, either through a patch, or the next edition.
yeah that's the type of stuff I was talking about. You see the same thing if you study receivers' runs after a catch. They can be very funky at times. I routinely see receivers catch a ball with nothing but wide open field ahead of them, and instead of taking the shortest path to the end zone, they decide to make some random 90-degree cut, even though the shortest path would have led to six and the cut led to being tackled.

One thing I have noticed is my team's running game is far more successful when I supersim. For example, when I supersim, my team manages to run for positive yardage on 1st down... When I'm calling the plays, I NEVER, EVER... EVER.... manage positive yardage on 1st down. It don't matter if it's a run up the middle or off tackle or a toss, or if the play is mastered or not. For me, run on 1st down = stuffed in backfield.

Last edited by sixtydashone; 09-26-2008 at 02:02 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:26 AM   #31
Pro

johnriii's Arena

OVR: 6

It just amazes me that there is such a myriad of results concerning the running game. there are those who have the "perfect" running game, then there are those who can't run to save their lives (me), and there are those who are somewhere in the middle. like other players, I have trained my RB's, drafted running backs with "good vision", trained my offensive line on running plays over three seasons, hired a RB coach with a 70 overall rating...and guess what? Ozzie Jones, the "next barry sanders" averaged a whopping 2.2 yards per carry in two full seasons that I played, not simmed. those of you who are having RB's with 2000 yard seasons, I guess you got a game with different programming than those of us who can't get our RB's out of the backfield, no matter WHAT his rating is. mixing up plays doesn't help, running outside doesn't help, running inside doesn't help. BTW, Ozzie Jones, with his 99 speed, 99 elusiveness, has only had one run of over 30 yards for me in the two seasons I played. there is definately something wrong with the running game, no matter how you slice it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2008, 09:47 AM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 1

It's a game, it's fun, it's addicting - get over the minor 'unrealisms'; it's a video game for cryin out loud!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »