Home

How do you want me to handle future roster updates?

This is a discussion on How do you want me to handle future roster updates? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: How should I handle future roster updates?
Don't change Opening Day rosters and Depth Charts; update ratings only 38 56.72%
Reflect up to the minute transactions (signings and releases) and update ratings 25 37.31%
Don't update anything 6 8.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2008, 05:40 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: How do you want me to handle future roster updates?

If I play as the Pats can I put Brady on IR after week one? I would do that for realism.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2008, 05:55 PM   #26
Rookie

firktaf's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloeyEZ
I didn't miss the point. I'm saying (and just my single solitary vote lol) that every time I start a new career, I want the players to be who they were at the end of preseason with those expectations. Once the season starts, it's sim time.

Let's just use RB FORTE of the Bears as an example. I think it is safe to say he is outperforming his HC personna. So the devs would update his attributes for the next time you started a career. My point is, and it is up to each person to decide, do they want a game based on what is actually happening in the NFL each week, or do they want the same expectations that we all had when we started the game of each player.

One final note...after this year, when you're using more fictional players than real players you don't even have the option. To me it just kinda feels like cheating (not bad cheating) but cheating like oh, he turned out much better/worse than I thought he would be I'm going to go back and change him.
Forte is a good example for this. Coming into the season, no one knew what type of player he would be or what type of impact he would make. By updating the ratings, you are improving the accuracy of the league and the players and are thus making the rosters more realistic. And despite your concern that you want to the players to evolve to that point naturally, this is unrealistic in some cases. For example, perhaps Forte has a low potential rating in the game(I don't actually know what his pot. rating is). This puts a ceiling on the most he can improve within the structure of the game. And on the flipside, Tavaris Jackson's potential rating might be too high, etc. The game isn't completely open for anyone to turn into a star. So, the updates can provide this accuracy. And, this would create a new experience with every new roster update.

Another example would be Marques Colston a few years ago or even Tom Brady. There were no expectations for either of them when they came into the league but, with the current rosters, this would be impossible to replicate. If Matt Flynn(whom the Packers seem to think is better than Brain Brohm) came in after an Aaron Rodgers injury and turned out to be the next Tom Brady in real life, wouldn't you want that in the game as opposed to him being a low rated QB with a low potential rating? The only late round QB from this past draft that I've heard about doing anything for anyone is Andre Woodson. So, that shuts the door on all the other players trying to prove themselves.

Personally, the one rating I'm most in favor of consistently updating is the potential rating because I agree that the players should have to grow into that through the game. Because if Forte's potential is an 80, then that just won't do. And yeah, I'm for only updating the ratings. We can decide who to start and so can the CPU while in game.

Oh, and for the people voting for Josh & Co. to do nothing, no one's forcing you to download the roster update.

NFL:
Jacksonville Jaguars
MLB:
St. Louis Cardinals
NBA:
Orlando Magic
NCAA: UCF Knights

Last edited by firktaf; 09-23-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:49 AM   #27
Rookie

CurlyJefferson's Arena

OVR: 2

I voted to update ratings only, but I have to clarify what I really would like.

I think actual ratings should be updated only sparingly, when a player's performance far exceeds (or falls short of) his in-game rating. But in most cases what I would like to see adjusted is not the rating but the potential. Say a mediocre receiver busts out around midseason and is suddenly playing really well. Don't change his rating, because he was not so good at the start of the season. But adjust his potential so he could reach that level if you work with him.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:12 AM   #28
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46

huh??? People votiing for ratings only and no updates??? You guys are drinking way too much "Kool-Aid" if you don't want the update then just down download them!!! It would of been different if josh made the update with a full 75 man roster update with all of the preseason cuts still on the teams.....
Old 09-24-2008, 01:23 AM   #29
Pro

OVR: 11

just because a guy has a good game or a good strech of games doesnt mean he has actually gotten better. i dont think ratings should be changed. potentials...yeah, maybe. and the roster update thing is a tough call, but i would lean towards saying no to roster updates as well. this game is supposed to simulate taking over a team from the 2008 offseason, i think everyone should start off with actual preseason rosters from that time. if there is no head coach 2010 then i think a roster update around the 2009 preseason would be good. only problem with this would be that the 2008 rookies would already be on rosters so you could never start a career in the offseason. no big deal though.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:38 AM   #30
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
In my opinion, the depth charts and actual rosters should remain the same as they were at the start of the preseason because that is when you are taking over, but ratings should be updated to give a more accurate persona of the players. Not only would this make the players actually play closer to what they really do and have potentials closer to real life, but also then you wouldnt go in to each season knowing how good everyone could become so it could add some to the replay value. I would really like to see potential updates for the pre draft one, but I know I read somewhere that you cant update those.
I think you kinda contradicted yourself here kcarr...because if they change the ratings based on real life performance, then you know how good everyone can become because you know how good they are in real life.

Additionally, remember the attributes change in the game based on performance. If your back has a 200 yard rushing game or 1500+ season, then his attributes will go higher than his potential. I think if you use real life stats later, you're just kind of resetting the game with new characters. Which as I write that doesn't necessarily sound like a bad thing...but then how often do the rosters get update? How much work will the devs have created for themselves by opening this can of worms? hmmm... I guess I kinda keep going back and forth on this a lil...
Old 09-24-2008, 03:46 AM   #31
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by firktaf
Forte is a good example for this. Coming into the season, no one knew what type of player he would be or what type of impact he would make. By updating the ratings, you are improving the accuracy of the league and the players and are thus making the rosters more realistic. And despite your concern that you want to the players to evolve to that point naturally, this is unrealistic in some cases. For example, perhaps Forte has a low potential rating in the game(I don't actually know what his pot. rating is). This puts a ceiling on the most he can improve within the structure of the game. And on the flipside, Tavaris Jackson's potential rating might be too high, etc. The game isn't completely open for anyone to turn into a star. So, the updates can provide this accuracy. And, this would create a new experience with every new roster update.

Another example would be Marques Colston a few years ago or even Tom Brady. There were no expectations for either of them when they came into the league but, with the current rosters, this would be impossible to replicate. If Matt Flynn(whom the Packers seem to think is better than Brain Brohm) came in after an Aaron Rodgers injury and turned out to be the next Tom Brady in real life, wouldn't you want that in the game as opposed to him being a low rated QB with a low potential rating? The only late round QB from this past draft that I've heard about doing anything for anyone is Andre Woodson. So, that shuts the door on all the other players trying to prove themselves.

Personally, the one rating I'm most in favor of consistently updating is the potential rating because I agree that the players should have to grow into that through the game. Because if Forte's potential is an 80, then that just won't do. And yeah, I'm for only updating the ratings. We can decide who to start and so can the CPU while in game.

Oh, and for the people voting for Josh & Co. to do nothing, no one's forcing you to download the roster update.
Ok, as I read each post it becomes a bit clearer (muddy water now ) but I want to make sure everyone knows that attributes are not static and younger players attributes especially will change based on their performance in the game. So if Forte does run for 1500+ in your game , then his max POT for CAR will go from 70 to 90. This game is designed to do this so I'm back to thinking we really don't need roster updates...but that if you do create roster updates, then all you are really doing is updating the game with new players essentially...so..I really don't have a problem either way. If I start a new career then the players will be different. And like you said, if I had a problem, I could not install the update...but I think we all know that would be extremely difficult to avoid that temptation lol.

So, in conclusion, my final thought on this thread is that nothing needs to be changed, but if you do update the rosters, then all you are truly doing is creating a slightly new game each time someone begins a new season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2008, 04:46 AM   #32
All Star

OVR: 33

I'd love roster updates. Perhaps we can have more than 1 roster file. LIke if i wanted 08 pre season i'll load that for a new season. But if i want 08 playoffs roster i'll load that for a new season.

Its very tricky.

I'm +1 for up-to-date rosters though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »