Home

Audibles - I know I know, but still...

This is a discussion on Audibles - I know I know, but still... within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-27-2008, 09:50 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 4
Audibles - I know I know, but still...

While I love this game as it's incredible, the issue with audibles really makes me want to throw my controller. The fact that the CPU AI can call audibles but we can't hinders us and costs bigtime.

I can just see Tony Romo call an audible where I'm playing LB Blitz on a sure run play...and then I see Witten and Barber go out to the slot, which is now showing 5 WR's on the field. I cringe before the ball is snapped KNOWING that I'm about to give up a huge play but can do absolutely nothing about it.

Sure enough the ball is snapped and boom ..Romo goes deep to a wide open receiver.

Josh is there no possible way for Dan the man to put in being able to call audibles?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2008, 12:58 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Audibles - I know I know, but still...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejccva
While I love this game as it's incredible, the issue with audibles really makes me want to throw my controller. The fact that the CPU AI can call audibles but we can't hinders us and costs bigtime.

I can just see Tony Romo call an audible where I'm playing LB Blitz on a sure run play...and then I see Witten and Barber go out to the slot, which is now showing 5 WR's on the field. I cringe before the ball is snapped KNOWING that I'm about to give up a huge play but can do absolutely nothing about it.

Sure enough the ball is snapped and boom ..Romo goes deep to a wide open receiver.

Josh is there no possible way for Dan the man to put in being able to call audibles?
I just have one question for all of you crying about being able to call audibles....since when can a head coach call an audible? Now if you're crying for the qb to change the play and call an audible...then that's a diff story...but if that happens, let's just start the sub forum now for people complaining that their qb doesn't run the play the head coach calls...hmm..I wonder if a Coach and QB have ever argued on the sidelines in real life about this?? naaah prolly not.

Spoiler
Old 09-28-2008, 01:08 AM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloeyEZ
I just have one question for all of you crying about being able to call audibles....since when can a head coach call an audible? Now if you're crying for the qb to change the play and call an audible...then that's a diff story...but if that happens, let's just start the sub forum now for people complaining that their qb doesn't run the play the head coach calls...hmm..I wonder if a Coach and QB have ever argued on the sidelines in real life about this?? naaah prolly not.

Spoiler
Ok,

#1 - No need to be nasty.

#2 - If you're going to throw up the statement of "since when does a coach call audibles"...then what about the defensive adjustments you can make to show blitz, press, release, DL and LB adjustments? Those you can select, but the coach wouldn't be able to tell a defense to press at the last second.

Your response fails twice.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:14 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejccva
Ok,

#1 - No need to be nasty.

#2 - If you're going to throw up the statement of "since when does a coach call audibles"...then what about the defensive adjustments you can make to show blitz, press, release, DL and LB adjustments? Those you can select, but the coach wouldn't be able to tell a defense to press at the last second.

Your response fails twice.
sorry you took that to be nasty, but you're right, defensive adjustments shouldn't be on there either.

Both QB and MLB adjustments should happen based on the awareness attributes of each.

I think game developers sometimes have to make a decision between what they think the customer wants i.e. enjoyment and realism. I think they don't trust us consumers enough yet to make a game more realistic if they think it may not be as enjoyable like the Madden type player finds his game.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:22 AM   #5
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloeyEZ
sorry you took that to be nasty, but you're right, defensive adjustments shouldn't be on there either.

Both QB and MLB adjustments should happen based on the awareness attributes of each.

I think game developers sometimes have to make a decision between what they think the customer wants i.e. enjoyment and realism. I think they don't trust us consumers enough yet to make a game more realistic if they think it may not be as enjoyable like the Madden type player finds his game.
The shifts that are represented in Madden are usually tied to the play call in the NFL. So, yes, the Head Coach DOES call those, and he also dictates when adjustments to them are made. Yes, the player on the field makes the "call" for those adjustments, but based on the rules the Head Coach sets for them.

Same with Audibles. Most situations have a finite number of plays that the QB has the option of running. Depending on certain circumstances, which varies from team to team, the QB may only have 1 or 2 audibles available to him at the line of scrimmage... he doesn't just pick a random play out of the entire playbook. To say Payton Manning calls the game from the line of scrimmage is an exaggeration... he goes to the line with 3 plays the Offensive Coordinator called, and he picks one based on the defensive front. Once again- ultimately, the Head Coach is calling the game, while the players execute it. Some are better than others.

It makes more sense, AI wise, to have the player simply make the calls at the line rather than programming in a bunch of in-the-huddle adjustments that you can tell them to make. If we are permitted to make the call at the line, the result is the same, without having to deal with most logic statements that would clutter and bog down the game.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2008, 08:14 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

I think it could be a skill for the qb. Maybe even have a designated lineman who could make line adjustments too. There's nothing worse than getting up to the line and just going oh crap. They've overloaded that side of the line and I'm running right into it. Pass plays it can be managed but that's one reasdon why some have trouble with the run. YOu really have to guess what the CPU is going to call. You don't know the play but you do know the lineup and the personnel. I hate knowing a play is not going to work and trying to decide whether to call a timeout.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:39 AM   #7
Rookie

Kingfish's Arena

OVR: 5

I searched and couldn't find it BUT...

I am pretty sure I remember reading a post by Josh about this and he said the audible system that they have in place for the player/HC was such that the QB was audibling out of the play you called on the upswing of 60% or more of the time and there wasn't ANYTHING you could do about it.

I think this should have been left in with defining moments connected to it and additional dialoge(ala Parcells ) so you could drag your QB into your office and chew his *** for changing the plays you call.

"well coach I'm out there and that play wasnt gonna work...I been playing in this league for 14 years...how long you been calling plays in the NFL?"

Stuff like that would **** people off tho, now wouldn't it. I can see ME throwing a controller at my screen for that above remark.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:51 AM   #8
Rookie

We should have the option for the Head Coach to call and audible now because it happens all the time in college and NFL.

How many times have u been watching a game and the team gets to the line and then the QB looks to the sideline and waits for the coach to give him the thumbs up to run the play or they change it right there??

Plus, with the implementation of this new "Green Sticker" helmet system in the NFL, the coaches are always barking in one player on Offense and one player on Defenses ear thru the game. U can't tell me they don't make adjustments or call audibles that way.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »