Home

I really hate defining moment sometimes

This is a discussion on I really hate defining moment sometimes within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2008, 02:15 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 12
Re: I really hate defining moment sometimes

I wouldn't mind the Defining Moments as much if the approval penalties weren't quite so brutal. Sometimes they just want you to make some absurd decision, and you're essentially damned if you do and damned if you don't. Make a bad call, potentially lose the game, and probably lose approval... or make the right call to keep your team in the game and end up losing a crapload of approval anyway.

I get a kick out of the "Bench the QB" Defining Moment though. I had Shaun Hill stinking up the place in preseason one time (like 4 INT's in his first four possessions) and I was getting pissed off, and the Bench the QB came up and I was like "now THAT is a great idea..."

Last edited by sixtydashone; 09-28-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:00 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 1

Yea, defining moments definitely need more work.

Last night, in a pre-season game, I was up 59 - 52 late in the 4th, and (finally) stopped their offense and got the ball back.

Ran 3 consecutive times from my 20 to run out the clock. He calls his last timeout after my 2nd down run. So it's 3rd and 8 with about :50 left or so. So I run in the middle again, for 2 yards, and I'm thinking, whew I have got to find a better corner as soon as the click ticks away...

Then, definining moment, 4th & 6, do you go for it?

And I'm thinking, huh? I don't even need to run another play! I've already won!

So I say, sure, why not because I won't run the play anyway, called a fake punt.

Let the time tick away, and my approval goes down like 10 or 15 points because I didn't make the 4th down! And I won the game!

AAARRRGGGHHH!!
Old 10-01-2008, 04:45 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtydashone
Sometimes they just want you to make some absurd decision, and you're essentially damned if you do and damned if you don't. Make a bad call, potentially lose the game, and probably lose approval... or make the right call to keep your team in the game and end up losing a crapload of approval anyway.
I agree. I would love catch 22 type of situations if they made sense. Like Shanahan going for 2. He and most football people know that was the right call, whether it was successful or not, given the nature of OT, but the media would've scorched him. But seriously, some of the defining moments don't make sense...in fact, a lot of them remind me of bonehead plays amateurs call in Madden (from the commercial: Oh that drives me nuts)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2008, 04:54 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadillac
I agree. I would love catch 22 type of situations if they made sense. Like Shanahan going for 2. He and most football people know that was the right call, whether it was successful or not, given the nature of OT, but the media would've scorched him. But seriously, some of the defining moments don't make sense...in fact, a lot of them remind me of bonehead plays amateurs call in Madden (from the commercial: Oh that drives me nuts)
wow, I'm pretty sure you are the only person in North America that states that was the right call. Even Shanahan himself in the press conference said it wasn't the right call, but based on everything that had happened in the crazy 2 minutes prior, he had a gut feeling to go with it since luck was on their side.

However you look at it, by definition all football people know it was not the right call. But it was the lucky call
Old 10-01-2008, 09:19 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonTheRazor
Yea, defining moments definitely need more work.

Last night, in a pre-season game, I was up 59 - 52 late in the 4th, and (finally) stopped their offense and got the ball back.

Ran 3 consecutive times from my 20 to run out the clock. He calls his last timeout after my 2nd down run. So it's 3rd and 8 with about :50 left or so. So I run in the middle again, for 2 yards, and I'm thinking, whew I have got to find a better corner as soon as the click ticks away...

Then, definining moment, 4th & 6, do you go for it?

And I'm thinking, huh? I don't even need to run another play! I've already won!

So I say, sure, why not because I won't run the play anyway, called a fake punt.

Let the time tick away, and my approval goes down like 10 or 15 points because I didn't make the 4th down! And I won the game!

AAARRRGGGHHH!!

Yeah, I've had that one before. It would be almost funny if it wasn't so damned penalizing. In my last season I just finished, I only lost one game all year. Due to the loss and an entire game of just bizarre DMs that I had to reject, I lost over 50 points of approval in just that one game! Now granted, it was a heartbreaking overtime loss, but that is just ridiculous. In the end, even though I ran the table for the rest of the year and won the Super Bowl, I never recovered. Finished the season in the 60s for approval.

Also, the only other time I won the Super Bowl, I finished the game with less approval than when I started. How does that make sense to anyone? I just have to shake my head when I see people trying to defend DMs as they are now. A cool idea, but they definately need improvement.

Zakk.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »