Home

Can someone Explain DT philosophy?

This is a discussion on Can someone Explain DT philosophy? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Can someone Explain DT philosophy?

What's the difference between One Gap Penatrator, Veristile 3-4 and Prototype DT? I get balanced and Run Stopper. Just not sure which is best to use for the DT i like to have
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: Can someone Explain DT philosophy?

One gap penetrator is a pass rusher, quicker, will make more tackles for loss and sacks and will get penetration through the middle but will only therefor plug one hole against the run. this makes them easier to block in running situations.
Run stuffer is ussually a bigger guy, stronger, slower. Uses strength to keep the olineman from moving him back and is therefore able to stop 2 holes against the run but wont get much penetration.
Balanced is somewhere in between.
Prototype, not sure but I would guess it to be a strenght based player with great size able to collapse the pocket and stuff up runs or flush the qb out. similar to balanced. Maybe more emphasis on height to knock down passes at the line. I dont know
3-4 I dont know why this is seperate because they ussually go with players who fit in the run stopping scheme. Maybe a little heavier though.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:26 PM   #3
Rookie

I like the speedy DT who can get up field for sacks. I just drafted a DE who was like 89 speed with 94 STR good awr and had 80 for FMV and PMV i converted him over to DT and his potential dropped form 91 to 86, guess that no big deal but think he should fit what i want perfectly. just wasn't sure what philosophy to use wanted to acuratley scout my players for my system.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:06 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylez777
I like the speedy DT who can get up field for sacks. I just drafted a DE who was like 89 speed with 94 STR good awr and had 80 for FMV and PMV i converted him over to DT and his potential dropped form 91 to 86, guess that no big deal but think he should fit what i want perfectly. just wasn't sure what philosophy to use wanted to acuratley scout my players for my system.
The guy you're describing would probably be a 1 gap penetrator unless he's huge and he would be prototype. Personally I like to carry both. It's kind of realistiic. in a 4-3 system a lot of teams use what is called a NT and UT. One is a run stuffer and one is a penetrator. I have guys I rotate but my starters are Dre Moore and Tommy Harris. Of course that is just the use pro bowlers approach.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:49 AM   #5
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

One Gap Penatrator = Warren Sapp

Run Stopper = Ted Washington

Versatile 3-4 DT = Casey Hampton

Balanced = Bryant Young

Prototype = Albert Hayensworth

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

Last edited by adembroski; 09-29-2008 at 05:57 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2008, 10:37 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

What really has me confused is the difference between a balanced player and a prototype player.....I always assume that prototype was the player that was a combo of all the different type of players.....that could fit into anyone's system.....Like Laron Landry.....he is a run stopper that hits hard, but can also go out and cover in zone or man-man too....clarification on this stuff would be nice......
Old 09-29-2008, 03:26 PM   #7
Rookie

BathSaints's Arena

From what I understand balanced takes into account the lot of the stats whereas prototype takes into account size etc. So I think, for example, if there was a prototype QB option, Drew Brees would suffer because he's not an atypical QB you look for i.e 6'4" etc. But as a balanced QB he coes out wel due to his stats.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:31 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 20

yes, but brees suffers in balance due to his slowness. It might be better than in prototype, but still much worse than the ones where he is good

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »