Home

Your Draft Philosophy?

This is a discussion on Your Draft Philosophy? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2008, 05:12 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Your Draft Philosophy?

Whats your philosophy when it comes to the draft? Do you go for best players overall, best for team needs, look for sleepers? trade up/down?

I personally try to trade down in the first round but still get the best player at a certain position I need. After that its all sleepers. Have had pretty good luck getting the sleeper players and they usually turn out to be solid players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2008, 10:03 AM   #2
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Your Draft Philosophy?

Mine varies depending on my needs heading into the draft.

If the team is in ok shape all around, I'll take BPA, but usually I ALWAYS have a need at certain positions and draft for those instead of BPA.

I use the Seahawks and for the next draft, I REALLY want to draft Matt Hasselbeck's heir apparent, our next franchise QB. But do you know how hard that's going to be to do with our draft position way down in the late 20's??? I'll have to pretty much mortgage the whole draft to get the top QB prospect, and my team needs a GREAT QB, not a solid one. Hopefully he'll have at least two seasons to develop before Matt retires...

I also look at the draft preview to see what positions are strong in the draft and which are weak and adjust my selections accordingly vs my team needs.

The draft is crazy fun!
Old 10-01-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 7

I scout as best I can, check the two round mock draft, and then set up what players I want to go after based on scouting results, where I think they'll be drafted, and team needs.

I check the pick the pick almost every time, and if it looks like I can get away with trading down and still get a player I want I do, and I move up if I have to and its cheap.

The only time I got crazy with trade up was in the past draft. Schefter was talking about a DT that he said was the best DT he's ever seen. So I moved up from 32nd overall to 5th overall to get him. I had to give up my 1st rounder (32nd overall), next years second (which I later recouped in trades) and Chris Samuels.

It was a lot to give up, especially Samuels, but I had plenty of good lineman and Samuels was getting old/injured. I think it'll be worth it though, the guy takes about $7m toward my cap but he has a 99 in max stat values for pretty much every important stat and starts out ~95 OVR.

Drafting is fun but its almost too easy, I've only missed out on 3-4 guys I targeted and I've yet to draft a true bust. My team is pretty stacked.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

I fill needs my biggest needs, and like to trade down and find sleepers.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:45 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

I fill my needs and then go after best player available. I like bringing in a late-round QB instead of going after them early unless its a huge need.

I'm pretty pumped though. I'm doing a 49ers HC rite now with Jamie Martin as my starting QB (he won the battle w/ O'Sullivan and they were the best 2 i had in the field general role). But the draft coming up is the Jack English draft, so I'm planning on doing whatever I have to to trade up and get him. I think that would pretty much set my team for the future with him and Frank Gore.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2008, 06:29 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacFrog
I fill my needs and then go after best player available. I like bringing in a late-round QB instead of going after them early unless its a huge need.

I'm pretty pumped though. I'm doing a 49ers HC rite now with Jamie Martin as my starting QB (he won the battle w/ O'Sullivan and they were the best 2 i had in the field general role). But the draft coming up is the Jack English draft, so I'm planning on doing whatever I have to to trade up and get him. I think that would pretty much set my team for the future with him and Frank Gore.
Unless you WANT to pay a fortune for English, there are other just as good QB's in that draft to watch for that are usually cheaper to sign.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:38 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGKoul
Unless you WANT to pay a fortune for English, there are other just as good QB's in that draft to watch for that are usually cheaper to sign.
I do have 27 mill in cap room in the middle of the season

lol, thanks for teh advice though, i'll keep an eye out.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:04 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

Well if you have a good GM then you can scout well, trade down, and get a whole lot better, plus it doesnt kill your cap. I have yet to draft a player before the 19th pick because I read that after about 15 they no longer want crazy money.

Plus its like someone said, you can always get someone who is almost as good as a top guy if you scout properly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »