Home

Where is the running game??

This is a discussion on Where is the running game?? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-04-2008, 04:54 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Where is the running game??

In my latest career im in year 1 and I traded for Steven Jackson and through 9 games he has just over 1400 yards and 16 tds, you just must not be calling the right running plays at the right time, or your oline needs improvement.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:45 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrodmuc316
In my latest career im in year 1 and I traded for Steven Jackson and through 9 games he has just over 1400 yards and 16 tds, you just must not be calling the right running plays at the right time, or your oline needs improvement.
I am in my third season of a Rams career and when I sim a game, Steven Jackson is a beast, but when I actually play a game, he is lucky to get 2 yards a carry.

So i am curious what run plays u are using with him.... draws? Counters? Up the gut?

I am no novice to football and have played for several years in high school and I am calling the right plays at the right time but I can never seem to catch a break.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:24 AM   #11
Pro

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacFrog
is it the one in the near formation where ur FB lines up behind the qb and the running back is on teh FB's right and they pitch to the RB cuz that play gets me like 15 yards a carry. its a long pitch tho so every once in awhile the fb will get in the way or the pitch will be inaccurate and it'll b a fumble but when it works i get a ton of yards on it.

i do a lot of playaction on 1st down to set up the run. u gotta throw defenses off. draw plays in passing situations work pretty well too.
No the fullhouse formation has 1 TE, 1 WR that is almost right next to the O-line on the opposite side. It has 2 Fullbacks behind the QB and the RB. There is a Toss play for the Fullhouse that is just a killer play, but the thing with the fullhouse is that it simply tries to out muscle you. When the packers used it against me I tried to blitzing out of every formation and they just kept rolling me over for 5-8 yard gains and to make matters worse they either did that or they came out of the 5 WR spread and killed me for 10+ yard gains and even when Rogers couldn't find an open wide out he would scramble for like 8-12 yards. afterwards I was forced to create a bunch of very unique and specific plays just to play against the Packers (only offense that has ever made me go that far). I think I know what is the play that you are talking about. It looks like its a reversed goal-line formation and you get the toss on the left side of the formation right over the TE, I use that play too and its a killer play.

Last edited by Obelysk; 10-05-2008 at 12:27 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2008, 03:16 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyJefferson
Using normal formations and plays, I was getting stuffed really bad. Then I started a new career and took the Pistol playbook, and I'm running quite well (with the same team and same coaches). I run a lot of option plays with Troy Smith and also a lot of counters.

Basically, in my limited experience I found that a traditional running game did not work very well, but you can have success with different strategies, as I have with my option game out of the Pistol, and others have with the Fullhouse for example.

But there are also others who do well with traditional running games, so you don't have to rule that out. It's a lot tougher than it should be, to the point where I'd have to call it imbalanced, but I think good coaches are probably the key from what I've read.
Yes, I had a similar experience. I think your playbook has a lot to do with it. I was getting nowhere running with one of the West Coast playbooks and restarted my career with Shanahan's playbook and pretty much the same team and did much better. Your coaches are going to have a big effect as well so upgrade the running game skills as much as possible. And, as has been suggested, try to stay away from a traditional run game. Avoid running on first down and other traditional running situations. Pounding it up the middle doesn't work for me unless I throw in an equal number of outside runs, so make sure you mix it up well. Try to find the two or three gimmicky plays that work well in your playbook. If your playbook doesn't have a couple plays that work, consider changing or adding to your playbook.

Zakk.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:09 PM   #13
Rookie

I am in something like Season 5 with the Raiders.

LT - D'Brickashaw Ferguson (93/93) (pro-bowl)
C - Spoiler Withheld (94/94) (pro-bowl)
RT - Spoiler Withheld (93/94 (pro-bowl)
LG/RG each 89/90.

I have the poor-mans Barry Sanders at RB (O.J.). He is 90/90 at this point. He leads the league-best running game with 3.6 yards per carry behind that line.

It is a good thing that any QB can put up a decent passing game against any defense, because otherwise the ball just would not move. But I have a poor-man's Tom Brady (T.R.) at QB, and still am stuck at mid-low passing game. I guess that 3.6 yards a carry cannot be resisted by the A.I.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:49 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 2

I really think it is not a playbook thing. It is a Madden Engine thing. The reason is, as many people stated, when you supersim a game you get great, realistic numbers. When you play the game, it goes to heck. You can use the same team, same playbook, and if you played the same game 10 times, I guarentee you that the Supersim would have more realistic numbers. You also wouldn't have 15 plays where you get stuffed like you do when you play the game.

I played the Titans as the Vikings and Adrian Peterson had 21 carries for -2 yards. Supersimming the same game he had 24 carries for 110 yards. I am not sure if it is because when you play the game, it factors play knowledge more into it, or if it just uses a different engine, but the results are vastly different.

I love this game, I just wish I did not have to supersim it to get good results. I love playing, but the running and passing games are just out of whack.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:26 PM   #15
Rookie

Americas Team1's Arena

OVR: 10

I put up a couple good run plays you should try them out
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2008, 08:04 PM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFoley
I really think it is not a playbook thing. It is a Madden Engine thing. The reason is, as many people stated, when you supersim a game you get great, realistic numbers. When you play the game, it goes to heck. You can use the same team, same playbook, and if you played the same game 10 times, I guarentee you that the Supersim would have more realistic numbers. You also wouldn't have 15 plays where you get stuffed like you do when you play the game.

I played the Titans as the Vikings and Adrian Peterson had 21 carries for -2 yards. Supersimming the same game he had 24 carries for 110 yards. I am not sure if it is because when you play the game, it factors play knowledge more into it, or if it just uses a different engine, but the results are vastly different.

I love this game, I just wish I did not have to supersim it to get good results. I love playing, but the running and passing games are just out of whack.
You are absolutely right, it is a problem with the game itself. But some people have managed a half decent run game despite that. I don't know that I'd put myself in that category, but there are some things that have helped me to at least get out of the negative yardage. You lose a big part of the game simming, so I've had to try and find ways around the engine, and playbooks is the biggest one for me.

Zakk.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »